Panamint Springs

CTF Panamint Springs a18

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
I really enjoyed playing this today (even with the messed up stage 3 :p)
It has to be my new favourite A/D ctf map, stage 2 is just awesome :)

Anyway a few problems:

ctf_panamint_a90000.jpg

^I really feel Blue has a massive disadvantage in this area (start of stage 1), both hieght wise and with the lack of cover coming out of spawn.

ctf_panamint_a90002.jpg

^here, in the same area I think you need to give blue a quicker, easier way to get onto that planked ledge, so that they can shoot the sentry out of its reach, whilst getting some height back on red's advantage (see pic 1).

ctf_panamint_a90003.jpg

^This area, in stage 2 near cap 2 has a huge, long sightline all the way to the first cap point. A good sniper will be OP here, you need to block vis between the two points IMO.

ctf_panamint_a90004.jpg

^Nothing major, but I got stuck behind this rock (its just to the left below the ledge in the 3rd pic) and had to grind my way out slowly, bit annoying.

Also, throughout the map (namely 1-1 and 1-2) the cap points need better signage so both teams can find them better.

One last thing as well, I think with all the height advantages in this map, you should refrain from putting all the big juicy health and ammo packs in these places, and on the lower ground instead (example being 2-1. This will give the already disadvantaged lower peeps a better chance.

keep up the great work :)

Last edited:

pl

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 6, 2009
I enjoyed this map in our little 'test'. :)
I think you need some clearer signage and you should put some more healthpacks in the lower areas of Stage 2 as DBP said.
Keep on going, this is coming along great :)

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
I personally thought that stage 2 played very well. The first point was hard to cap (But we did do it), and I just happened to speed through rest as a FAN scout or a Demoman.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Waaw, thanks for the feedback guys. I will try to fix that stage 3 and the things you said, and maybe you will see the a10 at the Wednesday Gameday. :)

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I slighly started the detailling in my map. This is the first map ever that I will detail, so all feedback and tips are welcome to improve my detailling. :)

Those screens are taken in stage 1, blu spawn + setup area:

ctf_panamint_a9_textured0000.jpg

ctf_panamint_a9_textured0001.jpg

But you probably can't say much yet. :p

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Update!

ctf_panamint_a10

- Fixed all entity bugs in stage 3, it's now ready to test.
- Added some detailling in stage 1, blu spawn + setup. (Note that a few walls are just textured but not yet detailled with props, etc.)
- Added health + ammo at the bottom of the badlands rock at 2 - 2.

Waif

Mar 22, 2009
Detailing is loking good:) Im not much good at it myself, but I can give you one big hint, focus on the lighting.
When ever you take a look through any valve map the the lighting is extremely well done and it really makes the map become something special.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Bump for our test we had an few minutes ago.

I think it went quite good, I will probably at a bit more time for blu at stage 2 and I will have a look at the respawnwaves, a few ppl complaint about it.

Some other things? Where there stages too hard or too easy?

Waif

Mar 22, 2009
Played well.
Good to see you fixing most issues in the map, hieght advantage is difficult to balance out.
I think you should lower blues respawn wave times after each 1st capture in each stage, to perhaps 3-6. keep them reasonably high for the first point though because otherwise it will most likely result in a steam roll.

The start of stage 1 still bugs me, I hardly ever see blue use the bottom middle exit gate, as it is shut down by snipers and is in a direct sightline for red.

A small skybox glitch i found in stage 3-1:
ctf_panamint_a100000.jpg

ctf_panamint_a100001.jpg

I also don't like 3-2 much at all, maybe my opinions will change after a full server playtest but it just doesn't feel like a last point, it isnt really epic or anything, just an open CP with many areas to be attacked from. IMO a redisgn is in need, to make it a bit harder for blue, but it might be wise to just test it out some more first :)

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Update!

ctf_panamint_a11

-Detailled almost whole blu setup area
-Fixed the respawnwavetimes and added more time for blu at stage 2.

Note: The next versions will now have more updates for stage 3 (so no detailling). I didn't changed anything to stage 3 because I never played the stage myself on a full server.

Edit: Some screens:

ctf_panamint_a110002.jpg

ctf_panamint_a110003.jpg

ctf_panamint_a110004.jpg

Last edited:

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
Those screens look a lot like Goldrush. The 2nd one in particular. I would get confused what map I was playing, lol

Not that it's a bad thing, mind you. Goldrush is sexy

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Maybe the last looks very much like goldrush, I changed the other rooms with stuff from badwater and some little things from dustbowl.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Gameday Bump

I wasn't able to play stage 2 and stage 3 because I was eating at that moment.

All feedback would be appreciated. :) (You will even receive a nifty thanks! :p)