Panamint Springs

CTF Panamint Springs a18

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
Maybe it's me, but my team as blu usually can't get past the first CP in stage 1 (I must have some jinx in me somewhere). The point itself is scattered with a lot of ammos and engies can pretty much camp there most of the time until an uber comes up to destroy them (or a demo throwing grenades at the rooms surrounding the CP). Perhaps you can open up the area a little more and remove some ammo from that CP so it won't be so easy to defend.

After that I think the red team's spawn room needs one more exit (stage 1 I think). Currently it's rather easy to get spawncamped.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Building upon what penpen said - I do think the first cap gives the defending team an uncharacteristic advantage for the first cap in an A/D map.

Part of the problem is the medium health and ammopacks in the corner. Change them to their small brothers so that it's harder to keep a sentry up and for RED to stay alive so easily. The other part of the problem is the huge height advantage that RED have over you.

Apart from that I really enjoy the map. :)

AntonJ3000

I am inactive and make horrible maps
Oct 29, 2008
ctf_panamint_a110005.jpg

Not sure what's up with that room, it has no meaning/purpose.

ctf_panamint_a110006.jpg

Graphics bug.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Well, there are dropdown gates in that room for blu (If it's the right room I'm thinking about) :)

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Don't think so, I just saw a empty room with no other entrances :p
Didn't look so closely though, people were attacking near me.

No I just checked in hammer where this bug was, and in the room near the bug there are dropdown gates, more at the left of the room. ;)

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
I am guessing this is on my side and not the map but just incase.

A random 1 way door, not sure why its here.
ctfpanaminta110000.jpg

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I don't think that's the map because I also have this with other maps often. :)

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Same thing happened on my map. It's just general weirdness with the server.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Same thing happens on official maps too. I've seen it a few times with setupgates on Dustbowl.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Same thing happens on official maps too. I've seen it a few times with setupgates on Dustbowl.

yah it happens on all maps and its usually just on the users side. But in the screenshot its in the middle of nowhere i dont even think theirs any one way gates near their.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Thanks for bumping the thread guys. :p

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Update! :)

ctf_panamint_a12

- Did some optimizing and seperated all the stages so, for example: You don't see stage 2 anymore while you are in stage 1. :)
- Sticked in Icarus prefab, now the entity setup is a bit cleaner.
- Changed the ammopacks at 1 - 1 to make it less sentry campable.
- Added Rexy's Doomsday Machine model: Henrietta.

ctf_panamint_a11b0000.jpg

Henrietta Thread

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Bump for the little test we had after the wednesday-gameday.

It seemed that it was a bit easy for blu, but I'm not sure..

Other feedback?

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Pretty fun, however 1-2 seemed too engi-friendly for red, I personally would open up the door to the cap point a bit wider to hamper engies trying to build right inside the little building.

Also: 3-2 played a lot better then last tiem I tried it, must be the fuller server- however I would reccommend lowering the time for blue on this stage.

You might also consider doing something to the first bit (3-1), as blue almost always seem to go right out of spawn, the left edge (from blues perspective) of this area is unused and doesn't see much play.
Perhaps, and this is a big suggestion, rotate this first area 90 degrees so that left and right routes are both the same length to cap 1 for blue, it shouldnt impace much on gameply because it would still be a very similar layout.
Its up to you though :)

ctf_panamint_a120000.jpg

^Bit weird how i can see in the building there, some dodgey nodraws i presume:p, perhaps add a cliff right next to where I am on the right as well, edge of the map is a little undefined.

ctf_panamint_a120001.jpg

^I would reccomend putting a no-entry sign over this door for stage 3, or perhaps rotating blues spawns here, everyone runs forward towards it- only to find it is locked.

ctf_panamint_a120002.jpg

^Not sure if you meant to put this gap in the roof, but I thought I'd point it out.

Keep at it.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
A new bump for the long test we had on the EU server today. :D

I saw 1 - 2 is way too hard for blu because of the sentry spamming, I might reduce the ammo arround that cp.

Other feedback? :D