Panamint Springs

CTF Panamint Springs a18

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Patience, my friend. :)

Edit: Not that I have to tell anybody about patience, though.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
You should see Stages 1 and 2 released with major refinements within the week.

When we add the stage 3 revision after testing those stage refinements this map will hit beta.

Blame contest for delays.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
What grazr said. ^

Also, for those who didn't get it yet: Panamint turned into a collabaration between Grazr and me to try making it a map with a kinda high quality (Correct me, grazr, if I'm wrong :p).

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
i guess i heard eexactly same phrase like 2 monts ago :p

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
i guess i heard eexactly same phrase like 2 monts ago :p

Yeah, and that was right before the contest. During the contest we became pretty busy with our contest maps, or, atleast me. :p

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
It got to the point where i was making so many first hand changes it was eating into my other projects. So we had to decide whether i'd leave the rest to him or join him in in finishing the map.

Even though it was one of Hanz's first ever maps it turned out quite popular and so he wants it finished to a high quality standard. So we agreed to collab on this.

It has taken a little longer because of the new competition being so soon and a lot of fixing up was needed for panamint before for hitting the detailing, as a fair majority of the map was off the grid. (Which is what you get when you work on a 1 unit grid all the time >.>)

The first 2 stages will be released for testing this weekend (hopefully). Basically just sealing the map area, rearranging areaportals and lights.

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
If you manage to test this tonight, good luck. Sorry i can't make it due to a birthday commitment. It would have been cool to see the changes i made in action.

Hopefully we can bring stage 3 out asap, but i want to concentrate on my contest entry for now now that this is ready for one of its (hopefully) last alpha tests. If all goes well we can properly refine the details in stages 1 and 2 and... obviously sort out stage 3.

P.S. post pics Hanz.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
After a few months Grazr and me are proud to present a revised Panamint!

01/04/2010: A18:

- Panamint turned into a collab between Mr. Hanz and grazr
- Remade S1 and S2 partly, deleted S3 because it wasn't that good (We will still use Rexy's custom models in the new S3)

Screenshots!

ctf_panamint_a180017.jpg

ctf_panamint_a180018.jpg

ctf_panamint_a180019.jpg

ctf_panamint_a180020.jpg

ctf_panamint_a180021.jpg

ctf_panamint_a180022.jpg

ctf_panamint_a180023.jpg

Download now!

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
looks good :p
but you have a sky leaking displacement out of the blue spawn in Stage 1

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Ok, does anybody has any gameplay feedback if you would have played it?

I think we should atleast lower RED's respawntime a little, 18 seconds respawntime is no fun. Also the sightline around 1-2 should be changed and RED could use a little cover coming out their spawn when BLU's attacking 1-2.
The sightline around 2-1 should also definately be changed I think, and a way for RED to get up the rocks around 2-1, because this point seemed way too easy to cap.

Any other feedback/opinions? :D

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Like said on gameday:

- Sightlines are bloody weird. Either they are non-existent, or they are HUGE. This makes for snipers camping the same few, but very strong spots, which is boring for both parties.

- The new 2-2, while cool, can be a lot more interesting. Do something nice with the building on the left (seen from the BLU side)

- I'm the only one, but I really miss the spire. I hope you put something similar in stage 3, simply because a/d ctf lends itself well for fantastic caps and epic points.

- Feels like there's some wasted space at some points. Some corridors could be a lot tighter without hurting gameplay, and some rooms are totally unnecessary.

Glad you are continuing this!

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
The spire was removed because it was impossible to cap. Just look at the last 5 pages of feedback to sample the distaste for it. Regular classes could never get close to the top of the spire and demo's and soldiers were shot out of the sky by sentries on and behind the point. Plus the prop is unique to badlands, everytime it's seen it screams "I'm from badlands everyone!!".

If you did like the concept of it though, we could try to work something equally as epic, yet also playable, into the third stage. Atleast that's the general idea, we wouldn't want a non-epic finale would we?

I'm interested to hear about the gameplay differences. Were the sight lines really that dramatic?

/dl's demo footage.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Oh and for some reason the overtime was broken again. :/ I thought I had fixed it in earlier versions, but it looks like people who are camping on the pedistal still can take the intel when it returns in overtime. D: It should end when the flag returns I think. Or when it's dropped?

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
Oh and for some reason the overtime was broken again. :/ I thought I had fixed it in earlier versions, but it looks like people who are camping on the pedistal still can take the intel when it returns in overtime. D: It should end when the flag returns I think. Or when it's dropped?

It was not when people camped on the pedestal. The flag just returned and sat there, without anyone needing to grab it. I still think it should be when the flag returns because if it ends when the flag is dropped, there can be no last minute pushes.