One-Map Multi-Point KOTH

I Darkstar X

L3: Member
Oct 19, 2017
On a scale of one to ten with ten being hardest, how easy would it be to make a map with five KOTH points that activate one by one when the previous is timed down. The team who captures the most of the five wins.

Aug 30, 2015
That depends one what you mean by "make." If you mean "create the logic that would enable this game mode" then it's already been done. But if you mean "design, implement, and balance" well, nobody has ever tried it but I can't imagine it would be very easy

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
This would be awesome, if we have little mini timers for each point

Powerlord

May 8, 2010
This would be awesome, if we have little mini timers for each point
The problem is going to be the UI. Only the KOTH UI has two timers (using the hard coded names "zz_red_koth_timer" and "zz_blue_koth_timer")... and the tf_logic_koth entity ends the round if either hits 0:00.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
The problem is going to be the UI. Only the KOTH UI has two timers (using the hard coded names "zz_red_koth_timer" and "zz_blue_koth_timer")... and the tf_logic_koth entity ends the round if either hits 0:00.
completely new gamemode, with overhauled UI and everything?

Powerlord

May 8, 2010
completely new gamemode, with overhauled UI and everything?
How are you going to get this UI to clients? They ignore any UI elements packed into maps.

Edit: I mean, you can fake it using one of the game_text entities, but it's not going to look that great.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
How are you going to get this UI to clients? They ignore any UI elements packed into maps.

Edit: I mean, you can fake it using one of the game_text entities, but it's not going to look that great.
I've had this idea for a bit, but couldn't you make a custom sort of thing, where once two or more people from a team went on the point, it sealed the point off from the world, and the timer went down. at this point, the other one opens up ready for capture. it would mean the team has to sacrifice two people temporarily to advance, and custom props in the sky could be used, so you look up to see progress. A red would mean red team, blue would be for blue team, grey is neutral and brown+team colour is in-progress capture. if there is any opposing team on a captured point, it won't capture, and if either players suicide, then it stops the cap. there are 3 points, all 3 have to be captured at once to win. Hope this dodgy idea makes sense:p

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Is this just multi-stage KotH? It's been done before and you should be able to find a prefab of the logic with some searching.

Powerlord

May 8, 2010
Keep in mind that you can use custom logic to start the red and blue clocks using inputs on the tf_gamerules object. Although I don't think there's an input to stop both; I'd have thought Valve would add that when koth_viaduct_event became a thing.