Major Mapping Contest #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
There is a fancy promo, you will not see it just yet though. Prelims will be revised and started at a later date.
None of the votes that were cast will mean anything, rest assured.

To be observed.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
The prelims are still going to happen. I thought people would realize that those who voted early were the ones involved w/ the months of prior Gamedays and impromptu map testing. However, I was quite wrong in that regard. I also grossly underestimated just how much people would feel that any means of preliminary voting would be unfair in some regard.

Despite the unnecessarily provocative remarks from earlier (Flame :mellow:), Youme is still the bossman. I'm going to be chatting w/ him about possibly making the prelims a judges-only affair, though I still don't think that is the best course of action. In the mean time, all 4 servers are still running the maps 24/7. I strongly advise everyone to get in a few tests before the formal voting process starts.

Jan 20, 2010
The prelims are still going to happen. I thought people would realize that those who voted early were the ones involved w/ the months of prior Gamedays and impromptu map testing. However, I was quite wrong in that regard. I also grossly underestimated just how much people would feel that any means of preliminary voting would be unfair in some regard.

We DID understand that, but I, at least, do not think that is fair to the mappers who did not get their maps continuously tested in gameday. There are at least 2-3 maps that were not tested in gameday, even more that were tested very minimally. And the thing is, these maps may be fantastic and even better then some of the ones that were tested constantly. And that's not even mentioning the fact that some of these gameday maps might not be the same map now as they were when the voter played them for gameday.

Either way, I personally felt it would be more fair to all mappers if we forced some of these early voters to play these maps more. Seeing as how the voting has been closed for now and early votes have been deleted, I am a happy panda. Just thought I'd clarify why I felt that the early votes were unfair. Perhaps for future reference. :)

/grazrpost

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yea, those votes started coming in less than 12 hours before the release of my updated map version so i was shocked to say the least. Whilst i appreciate the votes i did get and that essentially aesthetics have remained the same, my previous release pissed off a number of people because of a bug that prevented the round from properly ending. Then 12 hours after redeeming that fact official votes already started pooring in onto the forums. I was anxious to say the least.

I'd like to think those votes were based off of 6vs6 beta tests but i havn't put my map into testing since alpha so i'm inclined to believe that people are cutting corners.

Last edited:

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
BTW, Contest Server #1 US just crashed while on Assembly.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I think the prelims will work a lot better now that people are playing the maps on the servers before voting. :) I would also consider a) letting the authors vote, as others mentioned, and b) deciding the judges and letting them vote in the prelims as well.

Also, you didn't make it clear if the previous try at prelims would knock out 16 maps or not, but nonetheless that's a pretty big elimination for one round (more than half!). Perhaps knocking out less and/or holding more than one elimination round would be wise?

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I'm of the opinion that elimination rounds should eliminate at least half, or they kind of defeat the point of having an elimination round. If the goal is to get the list down to 10, then there are two options. One, we could eliminate 13 out of 26(half), and then eliminate 3 out of 13 (less than 1/4th). Two, we could just increase that initial cut by 3 and have it done in one round. The latter makes more sense to me.

Geal

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
I figured prelims would be to just reduce the number of entries to a more manageable level. Cutting it down to 10 definitely does that, but maybe we wouldn't need to cut so many to bring it to a more reasonable amount - cutting 10 brings us down to 16, which is just the same as last year's contest.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Why is the server setup so there's a 3 flag cap limit for every map? :|

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
This is the official announcement:

There are being some delays in getting the prelims underway. I'm trying to get them going between the judges as soon as I possibly can but a distinct lack of Immortal-D is hampering my progress (ie, I can do sod all until we're able to talk)

Please be patient. You'll hear as soon as there is progress in this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.