LMAOBOX has been detected by VAC

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Ah, I thought you were talking about all of Steam, instead of just TF2. Yeah, the system makes sense for specific games I suppose. Although I have heard from several TF2 players (probably grown ones, not kids) that they don't own smartphones, so the Steam Guard system really screwed them over.
Oh, I thought it just required verification by phone call, like Telegram does.

Aug 30, 2015
Some kids probably play using their parent's phone or something, so siblings would have trouble with it

Preventing kids from playing TF2? You don't understand, that's not a bug, that's a feature

Apr 14, 2013
Why not make it so every single account requires its own unique phone number in order to play games online? Then griefers would have to resort to buying a burner phone for every single account they set up, which ought to weed out the vast majority.

Because some people would rather keep their cellphone number to themselves (and their friends).
No internet database containing personal data about people is safe. Not safe enough.
I'd rather have to wait 15 days for each trade than take risks in that regard.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Because some people would rather keep their cellphone number to themselves (and their friends).
There are alternatives which can work fine enough. A credit card, bank account number etc. All these takes similar effort on that and are required to purchase anything with anyway (and in case of a gift card. bad luck for you).

For cell phones numbers it doesnt realy have to be that hard aswel. Because you dont need an entire phone, a sim card is enough and can be obtained at under $20.
Oh, I thought it just required verification by phone call, like Telegram does.
There are 2 levels, one verification goes through SMS and is for example used when forgetting your password. And maybe when logging in from a new location. This is something all phones can handle. But is barely used in steam.

Steamguard goes through an app. And only android and ios are supported. So even a $600 windows phone cant use it or has to resort to 3rd party (which essentialy forces you to do something that would already be considered unsafe). And this is widely enforced.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah, that's stupid. Verification by phone call sounds way more reasonable. And how many people are going to go to the trouble of setting up a burner phone just so they can cheat in a video game?

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
verification the way the app does it is more secure, which is why your banks use it