Jill announces TF2 beta branch in Steam Discussions

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016
By compilers I think they just mean compiling the game code into a game. Not necessarily hammer.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
blend modulation is one of the few features from csgo hammer i could see being useful altho as far as im aware csgo hammer has a lot of its own bugs too, that tf2 hammer doesnt have

I waste so much time going back and forth from Hammer to TF2 checking and tweaking blend modulates I'd be endlessly thrilled if we got access to that.

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016
@normanconqueror What? I never said anything about a new game. To turn code into a playable game it has to be compiled (the same goes for maps), so a new compiler could have resulted in weird bugs for TF2. Which is why they want testers to help find any.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
All the map compilers have actually been updated but I have not seen any changes in functionality so far, unfortunately.
There goes my hopes for an improved vbsp that has proper support for vmms and instances.

shameless plug tho, you can check out my vmm collapser https://tf2maps.net/downloads/vmmc.3660/ shit's lit fam.

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
oh this sounds exciting!
hope it includes a updated hammer, a bunch of nifty lil things and bug fixes tf2 hammer is currently missing out on!

I hope hammer gets a UI redesign, because one of my friends online has a lot of experience with unity and unreal, but can't get into hammer because the UI's too clunky.

I also think hammer could use some fresh paint.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
I hope hammer gets a UI redesign, because one of my friends online has a lot of experience with unity and unreal, but can't get into hammer because the UI's too clunky.

I also think hammer could use some fresh paint.
Clunky in what ways? I find it just works as well as the others (maybe not the material/model browsers), even more streamlined in some instances.

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
Clunky in what ways? I find it just works as well as the others (maybe not the material/model browsers), even more streamlined in some instances.

Well yeah, the material/models browser could use a few tweaks, the four windows are a bit overwhelming, and some of the icons are a little undescriptive.

Other than that, I don't really know. Hammer works fine for me anyways.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Yeah I can understand those points. After seeing the video below it's made me appreciate how simple Hammer is to use compared to other editors, even though it's decades old and is missing features many engines nowadays come with as standard (especially real-time editing)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The lack of real-time editing is just because it's the only engine left that still uses precompiled lighting and optimization, isn't it?

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Unreal uses precomputed light maps too. It just attempts to preview them in the editor and then once they're built uses them until you make a change to the geometry

Nov 13, 2015
Well yeah, the material/models browser could use a few tweaks, the four windows are a bit overwhelming, and some of the icons are a little undescriptive.

Other than that, I don't really know. Hammer works fine for me anyways.

yeah some of the things I really miss in the models browser is "times used", sorting by times used, and "show used assets only"...oh and seeing what object you are browsing in the 3d preview :) (attached a img from csgo model browser)

assetbrowser.JPG

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
Model browser sure needs some fixes and improvements.

Especially the thing where it freezes sometimes when you try to re-select a model for a prop, and you have to close prop properties and model browser, then re-open it to get it to work again.

That and preview render issues with translucent models.
upFSP51.png

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Model browser sure needs some fixes and improvements.

Especially the thing where it freezes sometimes when you try to re-select a model for a prop, and you have to close prop properties and model browser, then re-open it to get it to work again.

That and preview render issues with translucent models.
upFSP51.png
I think the preview problem can be solved by tweaking some text files but I dont exactly remember how. The method is on this site.