• Center Save Changes Reset

CP Firewatch b4

3 stage CP map!

1. BsP

BsP L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Firewatch - 3 stage CP map set in Atmostpheric Mountain/Forest Town based on Firewatch's Artstyle

• Like Like x 8
  2. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Ok so first: that 110MB BSP, is that before or after repacking (compressing the map, not packing custom assets)? And two: did this get tested for gameplay before it was given the beautiful scenery? Because you generally test for gameplay first before detailing to save you from having to delete detail areas when the layout changes. And 3rd: Jesus H Christ thats a lot of screenshots. Can you narrow that down to like 6 or so instead of 55?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. BsP

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks Vel0city for the feedback!

First of all, yeah, we COMPLETELY forgot about compressing the map, so many thanks for reminding us! (Since we were running out of time).

Second, we tested early versions with some friends and bots, but not in the TF2Maps net server, gameplay worked quite fine. Then we started detailing!

Third, we wanted to provide a better overwiew of the map in the screenshots, is it completely necessary to remove most of them?

Read the rest of this update entry...

4. Moonrat

aa Moonrat The end of an era

Positive Ratings:
    God fucking damn that lighting is majestic. Rest of the map looks pretty nice too.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    It's good practice to take just a few screenshots that show as much as possible. A picture of a wall with windows/doors on it doesn't really say much about the map at a glance. This screenshot, for example, doesn't really tell me anything. This screenshot of Sunshine, on the other hand, shows a ton of the map at once, giving you an idea of what that space is like.

You can totally include a ton of screenshots if you want, but I'd recommend placing the more informative ones at the top of the list.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    I feel like the lighting would look 1000x better if you just lightened the blue tone. Other than that, it looks great!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BsP

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, I see your point.
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Not only that, I think I spotted some straight-up duplicates in there. Anyway...

[​IMG]

Use an info_lighting to fix this glowing pipe (which appears to be getting its lighting origin from outside the building).

[​IMG]

Similar situation with those three windows.

Overall, this map looks gorgeous on account of the extremely saturated colors of the light_environment... and that worries me. It worries me that people will have a hard time telling who's on what team when everyone is bathed in pure red or pure blue light. I already can't tell whether I'm looking at red or blue textures in most of these pictures.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. n8five484

n8five484 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Found something a little bit game breaking.
    cp_firewatch0000.jpg cp_firewatch0001.jpg
    Also is the last control point unintentionally unlocked?

EDIT: nvm. It appears to be like Gravel Pit but instead C removed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. ibex

aa ibex

Positive Ratings:
    Really cool detail wise, but you have broken doors for blu spawn in stage 3 (in addition to the doors you can leave during setup in stage 2 that n8 mentioned). Blu can't leave spawn at all.
    I like the gravel pit A+B split (if that was intended) for stage 2, but you've left your last point unlocked for stage 3 when you reverted to the linear point system.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Asd417

aa Asd417 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Can we have more screenshots around the point? It doesn't need to look good but I would just like to see the gameplay area

12. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    You could treat the environment lighting as being a "night time" environment. Basically that means adding more lights to the playable area to make visuals there neutral, while retaining the really nice atmosphere in all the out of bounds areas. Broad, wide angle diffuse lights; you probably don't even have to make them particularly strong since there's plenty of light, it's just not currently neutral.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Rytu

Rytu L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Co-Author / Maker / Contributor of the map here ; just wanted to say something out loud because some people are getting midly confused about it : 2nd Stage of the map is made so that BOTH POINTS are cap-able at the same time, in opposite to stage 1 and stage 3 wich are in a 'last is locked until 1rst is capped' kinda fashion (much like cp_gorge).
    Hope this clears up the confusion some of you might be having, my good sirs.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Murky

Murky L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi! Just wanted to ask, as I found it odd when I ran through the map. Is this meant to be a 2 way door? It seems a little non-sensical to just have a roller door there for seemingly no reason:

https://gfycat.com/AbandonedReliableAngelwingmussel

If it is, could you explain why? And why there are similar ones?

Also, the capture zone seems a little short. If you jump, you can actually jump above it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. BsP

Positive Ratings:
    Hello everybody and much thanks for the feedback! We fixed some errors and we updated it in the workshop page, BUT, here I cant update the version of the map until judging ends (as said in this thread) D:

16. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    I really liked to have more red light in the map. Screenshots show it well but when playing the map I can't see much.

17. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    I like the idea of this map but the lighting is too blue and saturated to look all that good in TF2 in my opinion. I honestly find it hard to look at after a short time as it starts to hurt my eyes.

18. BsP

Positive Ratings:
    -Fixed a one-way door opening from both sides in Stage 1!
    -Fixed third door from BLU's spawn not opening in Stage 3!
    -Fixed BLU's spawn doors in second stage being enabled even during setup time!
    -Shots and projectiles now dont pass through the fence in stage 2 in BLU's spawn!
    -Fixed some clipping issues!
    -Fixed being able to capture the last point in stage 3 without capturing the first one!
    -Raised capture time of 3 to 5!

Read the rest of this update entry...

19. Asd417

aa Asd417 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I think I really need to point this out
    20170106235657_1.jpg
    This is how I spawn at stage 1. At first glance, that door with the exit sign looks like a real exit but it's not. The real exit is behind me and this is really not intuitive and uncomfortable for blue. I can guess why you did this: to emphasize that there is a staircase. But if that is your reason, you might as well try to move the staircase so it aligns with other exits. If you really want blue to spawn like this then at least put an arrow pointing sideways and remove that exit sign because it clearly isn't an exit.

Edit:
    20170107000400_1.jpg
    this door does not open until I politely knock on it. It is good for teaching manners but it isn't for gameplay because it cuts the flow of this route.
    20170107000750_1.jpg
    I am pretty sure this was not intended.
    20170107001320_1.jpg
    An exploitable lamp
    20170107001345_1.jpg
    I am stuck here like literally. My screen trembles and I can not move.
    EDIT 2: nvm looks like this happened because I was inside it when the round ended.

I am not going to mention any gameplay because there are people better than me when it comes to gameplay theory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  20. BsP

Positive Ratings: