Dustbowl Isn't Working

Trevorus

L1: Registered
Jan 19, 2024
Trying to make a modified dustbowl but it's not working (so far i changed nothing on the map so idk)

Got the map from this
** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_dustbowl_de.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Apr 22 2024)
12 threads
Using shader api: shaderapiempty.dll
materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_dustbowl_de.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_dustbowl_de/nature/blendrockground004_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_dustbowl_de/nature/blendrockground001_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_dustbowl_de/nature/blendgroundtograss001_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 4 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_dustbowl_de.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
Too many brush models in map, max = 1024

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_dustbowl_de"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Apr 22 2024)
12 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_dustbowl_de.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_dustbowl_de.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_dustbowl_de"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Apr 22 2024)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
12 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
unknown light specifier type - lights

[56 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_dustbowl_de.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_dustbowl_de.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_dustbowl_de.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\cp_dustbowl_de.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

Solution
Hm.
Basically, there are two reasons why you might get fully black lighting:
  • Your map origin or light_environment is inside a wall
  • The VBSP part of your compile is failing (e.g. due to a leak), so VVIS and VRAD don't have anything to work on
In your original post, you can see that VBSP gets a "Too many brush models in map, max = 1024" error, which is what was causing the "The system cannot find the file specified error" - VBSP never outputted a BSP file.
It seems to me that now your VBSP is still running into some error, but is at least getting far enough to output a (broken) BSP first.

The "Too many brush models in map" refers to having geometry that is way too complex for the engine to handle.
I can't imagine this being...

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Decompiling is not a perfect process and the results are better for reference rather than for compiling. I haven't really tried doing it myself, so I don't know all the ins and outs of the process of fixing up a decompiled map.

I've attached the vmf of Dustbowl that Valve provided with the original SDK. It's going to be more than a decade out of date, but should be much more likely to compile correctly.

Attachments

• sdk_cp_dustbowl.vmf
    13.7 MB · Views: 8

Trevorus

Jan 19, 2024
Decompiling is not a perfect process and the results are better for reference rather than for compiling. I haven't really tried doing it myself, so I don't know all the ins and outs of the process of fixing up a decompiled map.

I've attached the vmf of Dustbowl that Valve provided with the original SDK. It's going to be more than a decade out of date, but should be much more likely to compile correctly.
yeah it compiled, but... uh..... (tried hdr on and off but i knew that wasn't gonna fix THIS)

Attachments

• Screenshot (210).png
    Screenshot (210).png
    140.1 KB · Views: 21

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
You should probably try using the VBSP, VVIS and VRAD in "Team Fortress 2/bin/x64/" instead of just the ones in "Team Fortress 2/bin/".

(If unaware, you can change what compile programs you're using by going to "Tools/Options" in the toolbar at the top, and finding this "Build Programs" window.)
1715216114179.png

Last edited:

Trevorus

Jan 19, 2024
You should probably try using the VBSP, VVIS and VRAD in "Team Fortress 2/bin/x64/" instead of just the ones in "Team Fortress 2/bin/".
it compiled but it's the same result

here is a image if it helps

Attachments

• Screenshot (211).png
    Screenshot (211).png
    581.2 KB · Views: 16

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
Hm.
  • The VBSP part of your compile is failing (e.g. due to a leak), so VVIS and VRAD don't have anything to work on
In your original post, you can see that VBSP gets a "Too many brush models in map, max = 1024" error, which is what was causing the "The system cannot find the file specified error" - VBSP never outputted a BSP file.
It seems to me that now your VBSP is still running into some error, but is at least getting far enough to output a (broken) BSP first.

The "Too many brush models in map" refers to having geometry that is way too complex for the engine to handle.
I can't imagine this being true of Dustbowl, so something is afoot here.

Solution

Trevorus

Jan 19, 2024
Hm.

I can't imagine this being true of Dustbowl, so something is afoot here.
Moved light_environment out of a brush and put a giant sky box over the entire map and it works perfectly now, thanks lad!

Trevorus

Jan 19, 2024
To everyone that looked at this thread wanting a fully working dustbowl with no modifying needed, here it is

Attachments

• working_cp_dustbowl_1.vmf
    13.8 MB · Views: 7