Contest idea thread!

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Yet of maps with 3cps those are the best ones.
Gravel Pit and Junction are the only official examples, and they're mediocre at best.

And what about mvm maps with 3cps?
And why would they bother making a statement about that?

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
Gravel Pit and Junction are the only official examples, and they're mediocre at best.
That's just an opinion, really.
I think Gravelpit is a good map. Junction not so much, but I wouldn't call Gravelpit mediocre in a million years.

ontopic real quick:
just want to randomly say that I really hate contests that have no gameplay mode restrictions (SS, MvA) and the reason is because without a restriction, the final products end up being some maps that look identical to any other map that isn't in the contest. Besides the fact that it was made in two stages, or it has a UFO in it. None of those things matter at all to be honest in my opinion. Contests like this make contests seem completely pointless, and they're not. They really aren't.
TL;DR
I don't like all gamemode allowed contests. I know people like options, but I don't think options like this belong in a contest at all. The only thing you get out of it is judging, and we know that doesn't always go well.

Last edited:

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
Yeah, going along with what abp said, I think themes and restrictions for contests are a good thing. Consider the Winter 2015 72hr contest with no theme that ended somewhat recently. Sure, it was fun and all, as contests always are, but I think when there are some guidelines, it's much more fun seeing how people incorporate them into their map.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I find Gravel Pit annoying, but it's still very popular apparently, so I dunno what Valve's problem is with that style. Meanwhile, they've said that they don't like multi-stage maps anymore but then they went ahead and released the most needlessly multi-stage map ever. I feel like whoever is saying these things isn't even speaking for the whole team.

Dec 28, 2014
I'm pretty sure Valve has said YEARS ago, they'll not officialize another 3CP pyramid contest and maaaaaaybe another steel one (Defeinite no more GPit styles, unsure about steel).
[/QUOTE]
I'm not personally a fan of Gravel Pit 3CP so I don't mind to much if we never get another one of those, but I love Steel. I would love to see Valve or someone make a really good Steel style map.

I haven't honestly seen many of those types of maps made by the community (probably because I would imagine they are much more difficult to develop then normal maps) besides from Upland, which I only played a few times but I thought was decent.

I find Gravel Pit annoying, but it's still very popular apparently, so I dunno what Valve's problem is with that style. Meanwhile, they've said that they don't like multi-stage maps anymore but then they went ahead and released the most needlessly multi-stage map ever. I feel like whoever is saying these things isn't even speaking for the whole team.

Yeah I kinda wonder if different people on the TF2 team have different opinions on what to do with community maps (and what maps to add) and that's why we are barely getting any community maps made official. We had zpqrei at Valve almost a year ago and he was told by Corey Peters that they knew they were falling behind adding community maps and wanted to buy way more maps....and we haven't had the TF2 team buy a single map in over a year, despite the fact they haven't been able to put out a finished, non Halloween map. It's so odd (and frustrating).

Jummbl

L1: Registered
Aug 30, 2014
Kind of a "fun" contest idea, but ever since the '14 h'ween update went live, I've been in love with bumpercars. Maybe we could host a bumpercar map, with prefabs included? Prefabs being carts, cart spawns, spells, speed boosts, perhaps some optional track pieces, mini-game stuff, anything relating to carts really

Not sure if it should have a theme/gamemode limit on it, since there are so many different things that could be done with bumpercars.

thoughts?

Mar 23, 2010
dont you see the 'customize profile' text right here?

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
I still think we should have a contest where everyone participating bans 5 props and 5 textures from use. In order to push forward some fresh prop/texture combinations.

Of course essential props/textures will be unbannable (tool textures, capture points, skyboxes, ect)

Also custom assets wouldn't be allowed in this one (for obvious reasons)

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I still think we should have a contest where everyone participating bans 5 props and 5 textures from use. In order to push forward some fresh prop/texture combinations.

Of course essential props/textures will be unbannable (tool textures, capture points, skyboxes, ect)

Also custom assets wouldn't be allowed in this one (for obvious reasons)

5 sounds overkill.
How about 2

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
those would be covered under

As for prop count 5 is just my suggestion. 2 isnt really enough cause some props have 3 or 4 versions (like barrel crate, shipping container, and pine trees)

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
I'm not the biggest fan of a contest where we restrict the use of stuff but I'd totally be down for a contest based around trying new things. New themes, new gamemodes (if you've not mapped for a specific one before). Gimmicks, etc.

Would be fun imo.