Resource icon

CP Cedarfall Mills a7

pl

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 6, 2009
Are you aware of this page?

Because it seems the layout you are detailing is identical to one we tested few times.

Thanks - didn't know it got tested. When I entered it for gameday I thought they only took the first 4 maps then that's it.

Please detail it in alpine style, this wall texture is awefull. :/
Which wall texture? The bricks?

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I think brick texture is fine, it just doesn't go well with alpine theme and sawmill lighting.

pl

Mar 6, 2009
I'm thinking about going back to Alpine for the buildings, making every building Well-style is probably going to look too monotone.

Also I've been making some pretty major layout changes... based on the feedback (thanks Wilson) I'm:
1. Making it feel more open and outdoors, and less like a complex series of doorways
2. Giving BLU a bit more 'room' to be able to try and cap the first point

Here's a few pics: (I haven't 'un'-detailed the Well-style buildings yet)
2012-04-28_00010.jpg

2012-04-28_00012.jpg

2012-04-28_00017.jpg

2012-04-28_00014.jpg

2012-04-28_00016.jpg

What do you think? :)

pl

Mar 6, 2009
More detailing

I replaced the Well-styled buildings with something Alpine looking. The spots in both pics aren't fully done yet (lighting's a bit awkward at places) but I think it's good enough to show.

2012-05-08_00003.jpg

2012-05-08_00002.jpg

Also anyone that knows the map - what do you think of the layout changes in the post before this? Any feedback is welcome (but first read below). Thanks!

(note that there was a sightline directly to the point but I think I've removed that with the fence shown in this post's 1st pic)

Bloodhound

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 3, 2011
This looks much better then those well building!
You maybe shouldn't place the spigot model inside.
The main floor looks a bit dark.
And you maybe shouldn't make the 45° supports beams in the door frame as wide as the doorframes,
make it half of the width instead. i think this would look good, but you have to try.

But overall it looks pretty nice.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It looks good.

The spigot can be inside, and is inside on many maps.

Last edited by a moderator:

pl

Mar 6, 2009
Alpha 7 is released with major layout and optimization changes. Hopefully I've addressed the one complaint that many people had - that it was too cramped. Also some detailing has been done outside BLU's spawn.

Changelog:
- Major layout changes: less complex doorways and more outdoor freedom
- Beginnings of detailing outside BLU spawn
- Area around first cap now more favoured to BLU
- Playerclipped the top of a building near second cap
- Added patch panels below pickups
- Moved second cap zone back to make it less crammed in 12v12, and also make it slightly harder for BLU to cap
- Much more optimization (areaportals, current prop fade distances, visleaf splitting)
- Cleaner brushwork, reduced number of overlapping brushes

Download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/322663/Public Downloads/cp_cedarfall_a7.bsp.bz2

Last edited:

pl

Mar 6, 2009
A few pics of what's to come in A8:

2012-05-15_00001.jpg

2012-05-15_00003.jpg

I've also done quite a few of the changes from my feedback page (I like this integration with the TF2M server BTW)

My plan is to finish with the requested changes, do a bit more detailing then work on the next stage's layout. I'm thinking 3 stages which is generally what A/D maps usually go by. What I'm also thinking is maybe having 3 caps for the final stage. I'm not sure if that's okay, considering people joining a server might think it's completely a 2 CP (or 3 CP) map. But on the other hand it'd keep it more interesting...

Any thoughts? Cheers :)

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
The gameday build we played was pretty fun, but the last point is absolutely the most uninteresting thing I've ever seen. I understand that this is multi-stage, but still, try to think of something a little more interesting than just a square block with a point on it.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Your last stage having 3 points is fine. I toyed with the idea a bit when planning an A/D map I ultimately never made. Eventually Rexy did it with Zinkenite.

pl

Mar 6, 2009
The gameday build we played was pretty fun, but the last point is absolutely the most uninteresting thing I've ever seen. I understand that this is multi-stage, but still, try to think of something a little more interesting than just a square block with a point on it.

Originally the point was in a building, and people didn't like that because it was easy for BLU to cap once they got hold of the point. I think I'll need to change it though... when I was doing some of the changes around the cap's area I felt like it was lacking something.

Your last stage having 3 points is fine. I toyed with the idea a bit when planning an A/D map I ultimately never made. Eventually Rexy did it with Zinkenite.

OK, cool :)
I know that your map (Hella) has 3 points as well, and running around seemed like the style would work.

Last edited:

pl

Mar 6, 2009
Alright, I've done some changes to the second cap. It should be a bit more interesting for RED to defend now (they have 2 ways out of their spawn). Here's a few pics showing different angles:

Cedarfall%20A8%20-%20Cap%202%20changes.jpg

Cedarfall%20A8%20-%20Cap%202%20changes%20-%202.jpg

Cedarfall%20A8%20-%20Cap%202%20changes%20-%203.jpg

Not sure how this'd go balance wise however, any feedback is welcome on that. :)