aa
Nov 12, 2007
Working on things a little:

cp_cauldron_foggy.jpg

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Just making a note here because google failed to find anything when I was trying to solve this problem:

I added the env_fog_controller entities, but I was mostly concerned with the effect on the middle area which doesn't really need a 3D skybox, so I didn't make one. When I compiled and went in-game, it behaved as if I had a relatively short Z clip plane of somewhere between 3000 and 5000 units. It was completely failing to render any visleaves beyond those measurements, resulting in some awful gaping holes on the far side of the lake, some of which would pop into existence as you walked farther towards the middle.

I tried setting the Z clip plane higher, and tried setting it to -1 (don't clip), and tried adjusting the fog end parameter, and nothing had any effect on the problem.

The solution, as it turns out, was to create a 3D skybox. Even with nothing in it but the sky_camera, suddenly my Z clip plane settings started working, and everything looked fine.

So hopefully this will benefit the next person who runs into this problem and turns to google for help.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Alpha 7 is released!

ALPHA 7
* Added more railings around the middle point.
* Added a one-way door going from the caves out to the middle area.
* Added fog and a preliminary skybox.

The skybox is provisional, and has some glitches if you look for them. Being alpha, I'm still more focused on getting gameplay feedback than visuals, which are very work-in-progress.

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
On gameday we had a lot of back-and-forth. The middle CP does look pretty neat but then the paths right behind it feels a little underused (the red/blu tinted hallways).

Otherwise, I like this map! :D

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
That looks excellent Shmitz....

remember our commentary on how that expanse of grass to the right of the stairs in the 2nd shot feels too large + spammable? Could you somehow rotate the stairs out that way more, and cap it with a small building that blocks LoS? A la the things on the sides of the point of arena_beacon...?

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I can't rotate the stairs. They'd block the pathing below too much. I have been toying with ideas for that though. I'm not quite yet ready to make such a significant change. I'm still trying to work out if/why that would actually benefit the gameplay. Or rather, I'm not sure I want to try to solve a problem if I don't think I fully understand what the problem is.

Sep 12, 2008
WOAH! Even though it's only small, but those trees and shrubs look like a jungle :p I didn't know you were doing the same theme as in meridian.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Everything except the middle is still far too mazelike, its just not very simple at all :?

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Probably this then:
Shmitz said:
If a player is confused, it's not the layout. It's your visual cues.

When I say it's too mazelike I don't mean I'm getting lost. I figured the layout out after just a round or two as you say. My problem, however, is the number of twists and turns, most notable around your generatory-computory-thingamybob of a second point and that spiral staircase around the last point - which has a shockingly placed arrow that points into a tunnel leading away from the point, I've seen lots of players run up the spiral and see the sign and tunnel and instead of running towards the point by taking the final left turn they just run back down the tunnel :(

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Right by the final point theres a set of stairs that go in a rough spiral. hang on I'll get pics

thisbit.JPG

This bit, I always turn the wrong way around there and then the sign points you in the wrong way ( I know it's the wrong colour to follow as red there, but it's an arrow... you end up following it anyhow)

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
Dammit n30n you found the second one before me!

I find the map to be a very fast-paced one. I dunno, it seems like when the fourth point is capped it's only a matter of time the fifth one gets capped.