Cauldron

Cauldron a10

Ten19

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2009
Awesome to hear it's alive again, really enjoyed the alpha maps of this I played in the past.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Extended the upper hallway entrance to 2/4 into a full room, to hopefully make that approach less easily spammed. You can see the changes outlined in yellow here:
cp_cauldron_a9dev1.jpg

Also changed the stairs on that point to be curved, so it's easier to get up them for defenders and for people coming up from the underground tunnels.
cp_cauldron_a9dev2.jpg

Here's a shot of the new room. It's not much to look at now though.
cp_cauldron_a9dev3.jpg

I will probably have a9 out in a few days. They are small changes, but worth testing before going into full detail mode.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Added some cover for medics at the center point. Should be even more effective now that so many soldiers are running around with Direct Hits. :)

At this point it's ready to compile, but I'm not entirely sure if I should release this weekend, or wait until Valve fixes my crashing problem, since I can't really play until that happens. :(

Aug 10, 2009
It... Is... ALIVE!

In other news, I like the new curved stairs on 2nd and 4th cap but whenever I play there, no one really spends much time in the complicated... mesh of sorts behind it, that you can go under. Whenever I play the map I always get a little confused about that area because I feel like it's detail but people still hang down there and then come up and kill me, or I slip down into it.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Nice to see work being done on Cauldron again. Can't wait to play the new version (of course, Valve fixing our crashing problems would help).

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Alpha 9 is released. I can't actually play it myself, so I really need some good quality feedback. In particular, I'm looking for feelings about the changes:

ALPHA 9
* Added some cover to middle point to help protect medics from fire from above.
* Extended "upper" passage into points 2/4 into full rooms, altering the approach so that it should be less spammy.
* Curved stairways up to those points to make it easier for defenders and attackers coming up from below.
* Converted some placeholder brushwork to props

I'm still open to any good comments about the rest of the map though. I wish I could play myself, but I guess it still hasn't even been a full week since the update hit. For now I just have to be patient and hope they fix my crashing problem soon. :(

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I love the stairs!

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
One thing i dont like about this map is the underground passageway things. Add more colors to them so I can at least tell which way im going. Ive played the map at least 30 times and I still find myself getting lost in the underground pathways and going backwards.

Also I dont like the idea of one-way doors ever. especially one-way doors that allow you to get completely behind the other team while theyre pushing your last. make it either a two way path or not a path at all. You could very easily send a spy or two scouts that way to backcap and the other team would not be able to do much about it.

The chokes into last are also pretty large. There's only about two paths in and one of the paths causes you to walk down a very narrow hallway where you lack a height advantage. any demo or soldier could easily shut down the path.

Other than that I think it plays well. Just needs some minor tweaks especially if you want it to become a competitive map which I think it has the potential to be.

Last edited:

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
No one seems to use the underground passages from mid to the second point, even though they're amazing for flanking. There's got to be a way to make these paths more obvious to players.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I'm not sure if this is really a big thing, but BLU team won every round, even after a few scrambles.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I love the stairs!

I agree. I kept getting distracted examining them.

I still think the gameplay is pretty solid, I don't think I can recall ever having a problem with it.

I will say however, a lot of those underground areas still seem to go unused, even though they are a fantastic way to get to cps 2 and 4.

I think you'd be ok moving on to detail soon.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
A few problems I noticed from the latest gameday:

- There are a lot of arrows, but often not in the places you want them to be - when just walking out of spawn or going around a corner it's sometimes not too clear where to go. This is especially true for going to the last cap (people look over the edge to see if the cap is there), and people coming from the forward spawns. The offbeat shape of your map can do fine, but shuffle the signage around a bit.

- The undergrounds is somewhat useful at times, but not that interesting to keep in. Frankly, I think the map would be better off without it and to keep the battle focused.

- People sometimes totally missed cp2 and got to cp3. Force people to at least SEE cp2 when going into the enemies'/their own base to keep the battle in general more focused.

That all said, I really enjoyed playing this map, and it felt fresh and exciting :)

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
The 2nd and middle points are tons of fun, I love playing in both those areas. This map is very enjoyable to play and seems well thought out, so I too think you should move on to details.

I think the first point is pretty good too, but I have an issue with how disorienting it is when you enter that area, because you can't immediately see the point. Getting onto the platform can be a bit of a hassle because, on one side, you need to take the stairs onto a building and then drop down. In my opinion this point should be made a little clearer and simpler, but overall it's good fun.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure if your structure of walls etc. will allow it, but if you can fit some windows in the halls that let you see the first/final point as you're heading towards it, I think you should do that.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
- The undergrounds is somewhat useful at times, but not that interesting to keep in. Frankly, I think the map would be better off without it and to keep the battle focused.

I used the underground several times, but it seems like you only have two choices: either pop up a few feet away after taking a much slower path, or show up under CP 2 right behind everyone. It's also too easy to use it to break defenses, and gives the attacking team a much greater advantage.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Also I dont like the idea of one-way doors ever. especially one-way doors that allow you to get completely behind the other team while theyre pushing your last. make it either a two way path or not a path at all. You could very easily send a spy or two scouts that way to backcap and the other team would not be able to do much about it.

That path used to be two-way, and what would happen when it was at 4/5 is the attackers would take the path to 5 (bypassing 4), and the defenders would go to 4. Someone would get the point, usually attackers, without much of a confrontation happening.

The alternative of removing that path hurts defenders, and also makes the route to mid at the beginning a little tedious.

What I'm curious about is how, from a gameplay standpoint, that path and door are different from this hatch:

cp_badlands_hatch.jpg

I recall you actually expressing how you like it in the chat, so it would help if I could understand the reasons why the one is good and the other is bad, since they both serve more or less the same purpose.

Trust

L1: Registered
Dec 6, 2008
I think I could answer that. You see, false hopes and disappointment. In Badlands, when attackers are thinking about their possible routes and paths, they completely ignore that hatch, knowing they cannot access it. With one way doors players psychology is somewhat different.

Upon seeing the doors, new players will immediately think that they can go through there, but will meet disappointment, while older players will face two choices - either wait there, ambush whoever comes through the door and run in while it's still open (perhaps not meeting anyone, dieing or not being fast enough with the doors, thus being disappointed), or abandon this path to their destination and feel somewhat disappointed (remember, universally in any players mind any openable door is a pathway to their destination, and not entering one when you want to disappoints the player (it's again somewhat different with enemies spawn doors, as they don't exactly lead the player to their destination, thus players have less interest in entering them)).

I'm not saying that they don't work from gameplay perspective, I'm saying that players minds are not too keen on these things. From this point of view a ledge would probably work better. But from gameplay? Who knows, man.

Who knows.