Cauldron

Cauldron a10

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
If it comes in separate parts, I'm thinking some of Nucleus' Doomsday Device would look good around the center point. If it's just one prop, it would seem as if you were copying it.

The map plays well from what little time I've spent on it.

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Shmitz if you'll tell me next time you're on we should try to get a competitive PUG going... I don't think Cauldron is on anyone's radar screen yet but if we get them excited, and if you'll go ahead and make a topic on gotfrag, etc (or I will if you permit me) you can get some great feedback from them.

:3

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
New version is up!

ALPHA 4
* Moved final forward spawns to near the middle point.
* Old spawns are now modified to be a cave path through that side of the middle area.
* Added a couple more small health packs.
* Added a small ledge and props to allow offense a jumping route from point 4 to 5.
* Downgraded the ammo at that exit from full to medium.
* Added signs to help show offense the side cave route to the final point.
* Added rock faces to areas that still needed them.
* Engineers can now build on top of the datacores at points 2 and 4. Let's see how broken that is!

One thing I'd like feedback on is the first forward spawn. Some CP maps let you go back into that spawn, and there's a resupply, while some treat all forward spawns as exit-only. I'm curious what people prefer.

If I were to change cauldron's to be a full resupply room, I'd have to move it, because it overlooks the CP, allowing the possibility for campers inside the resupply room. So I'm wondering if that change is needed, or if it works fine as it is.

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
ran through a4
u may find this usefull (or m.b. not xD):

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
I found a bug.

cauldron.jpg

This door, even though it's marked with the Do not Enter sign, still opens. While inside, if you try to go out through the other door that opens out onto CP3, the door rolls open, but you're stuck on a invisible wall.

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
u just need to untag TouchOpens in the door entity settings "Flags" as i remember

Feb 14, 2008
It's... just breath-taking, first time I played it.

My only concern is that there are routes that miss the 2nd CP from mid. Do the teams switch after each round (i.e. colour) that might be a wise idea if it were to be played 6v6.

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
The more I play this map, the more I love it.

This door in the RED forward spawn failed to open correctly for us after the second to last cp was taken. The prop would animate, but there was an invisible wall preventing us from moving forward out of it.
cp_cauldron_a40005.jpg

It was really hard for either team to push out of the 2nd to last cp, by the time either one had cleared out the defenders, the next wave had already arrived.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I tracked down how I broke the forward spawns:

Notice the ridges in the above screenshot. They're player clipped so that players don't get caught on them.

Notice where the exits are. Guess what visgroup I had turned off while I was putting the spawns in place and testing them (but remembered to turn on right before I did my last compile for a4)?

>_<

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
lol

I rarely saw a lot of fighting in the middle. Did anyone else notice that, or was it just me because I was playing Spy? :p

It seemed like, for some reason, people were always at point 2. No one ever defended the middle. I'm not skilled enough of a map "designer" to point out why, though... Sorry.

There were some holes (you can see them in the back of your second screenshot, Shmitz) that were a little tight to drop into.

On the whole, I loved this map because it's so different. Good job. :)

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
um....you spies are crazy cause i couldnt avoid firefights at that second point. Last gameday thats where i spent most of my time as i got assaulted by scouts and pyros and soldiers the entire time. I had quite a number of intense firefights there, so no i dont think that middle point is too quiet. Seemed just fine to me. Jumping on that concrete wall and shooting down on the point on unsuspecting people is just juicy good too

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
Because of the height advantage you can get in the middle, I think it's just easier to clear out. Fights there are short and decisive.

The 2nd points are all very close quarters, with lots of flanking routes, so any engagements there tend to last longer, with reinforcements coming in from both sides.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Because of the height advantage you can get in the middle, I think it's just easier to clear out. Fights there are short and decisive.

The 2nd points are all very close quarters, with lots of flanking routes, so any engagements there tend to last longer, with reinforcements coming in from both sides.

Exactly how it should be. The middle is should always be a quick decisive fight.