Status
Not open for further replies.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
this map = corridors
corridors in TF2 = poor gameplay

I'm not sure where you got the idea that catwalks were an awesome concept for TF2, not to mention over what are presumably pits of death no less.

Last edited:

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Reading old threads, S.W.A.T.Y's got a little attitude.
Well whatever, no need to start flame for no reason.

Also side note S.W.A.T.Y, Mainland still has slight issues with it.
This map looks good from the screenshots, I'll give it a proper run through soon.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Jesus christ no wonder swaty ignores you guys, there's been 3 helpful suggestions in here and TPG you sound like an idiot! I don't get to check in much from here, but honestly try to support mappers based on their work rather than their persona, I've been guilty of it in the past but it's really contrary to a community's goals

I think the theming is pretty cool, but that you should scale down your water, I really liked your use of nonrectangular geometry... the alphas in the cave could use some rounding off, as well as working on the ceiling in making it more interesting and feasible, I think this is a good example of a beta map and that it will benefit from fine tuning the 'cracks' and 'player clips' if the posters in here continue to provide specific examples instead of bitching :s

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
in some screens i really like the twist you put to the theme. i always like how you capture the valve style in your maps, yet still have it a tiny tad different. however i gotta say the overall quality kinda disappoints me on this project. it looks exactly like being made in 2 weeks. while youve prooved you can work in a short timeframe, this time it kinda falls apart, in my opinion.
especially on this area with the overthetopused yellow railings overgrowth:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/geek/gars/images/2/4/4/8/ctf_biomass_b10005.jpg

apart from that. i know why you bother posting...you like the negative attention which doesn't make you any better than the guys flaming you. just look at your sig, how can one take you serious with such provoking words beneath every posting. if you'd be a bit more modest and sincere, people would have a lot easier to accept you as a meancreativemappingmachine that you are ;)
accept criticism and respect the people trying to give you proper feedback or just dont come over these forums. cause i'm fed up with the bragging about "comp players feedback" and whatnot and not even giving people a short "thanks for your feedback" post after them having clearly invested so much time searching for bugs to give you proper feedback.

Lord Ned, your attitude is quite overthetop also, sry to say that :( why you even bother to lose a word when you clearly have something against the person...not to speak about following him into other forums and flame there...calm and ignore :)

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I'm really not liking the look of those catwalks near the watery pit of death. They're a heavy's worst nightmare!

trainRiderJ

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 14, 2008
itt jealous map makers with no understanding of mid to high level gameplay complain about swaty and his maps

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
please. either post feedback, constructive criticism, or dont post. if he chooses not to take the feedback, its really up to him.

anything else will be deleted from here on.

Apr 19, 2009
itt jealous map makers with no understanding of mid to high level gameplay complain about swaty and his maps
You do have a point. Maybe we all are at least a bit jealous on some level or another.

Some people are jealous because he is popular and others are jealous that he can make a "better looking" map then others. Heck I am jealous because he reached 4 pages of feedback in only a few hours.

You could also compare SWATY to Youme. Some people hated Hoodoo with a passion and raged when it went official. Did the world end? Heck no, the people who liked Hoodoo still played it and the haters ignored it.

Another thing that I have seen people harp on SWATY for is his tendency to copy/paste things from Valve maps. Now I know that he is no the only one to do this and I guess it just sticks out more because people are looking for it.

In retrospect we could be a little nicer to SWATY and if he still refuses to take are feedback seriously thats his problem.

EDIT: Dam sorry drp I was working of this post when you posted. :S If you want to remove it thats fine with me.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I'm tempted to say many things, but rules are rules...

Now, the map seems to be off to a great start. I don't mind death pits very much (I'm assuming you die from falling in the water...), and your details honestly look great. Good use of Hydro theme, some more color would be great though.

But I'm curious... does the intel room really only have one entrance/exit? That's way too little! In CTF, one of the biggest issues is intel rooms that are completely impenetrable. Yours appears to be one of those. I'd suggest adding some side routes into that room.

FeartheMango

L69: Deviant Member
Sep 8, 2009
By any chance can you post an overhead? I'd love to see how what the whole map looks like, as it is hard to tell from the screens alone.

Anyways, from what I can make out from the screens the detailing and theme looks supurb, but the balancing with classes (specifically the lack of potential for evasion with spys, and lack of room for medic/Heavys) on the cat walks seems to be a bit of a problem.

Also, as many other people have said, try putting some more logos/posters that could help players identify which base they're in. But other than that, the map looks great.

Apr 19, 2009
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1276735/Pictures/Maps/hl2 2010-04-05 09-38-22-86.jpg
This sentry spot in more or less OP because it can seal off the intel room. Now I know a soldier or demo can take it out but by the time they do that reinforcements for the spawn would be all over his ass.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1276735/Pictures/Maps/hl2 2010-04-05 09-38-47-34.jpg
I would recommend you add a staircase or some kind or walk way to get on top and take out the sentry though the windows. (You would have to remove the glass naturally.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008

Lol

Now what i'm going to say will sound like a personal attack but SWATY should really take this as serious feedback. Particularly since a lot of this has already been said to him before not only in all of his map threads here but on several mapping message boards including interlopers and FPSB.

These issues need to be addressed SWATY:

Your detailing is repetitive and unimaginative.

The same props are copied and pasted throughout your maps. Detailing is making a place look believable, not just making it look "pretty". Your maps look nice because the props and textures are to a quality that improve your maps overall aesthetics. But the use of props is tragically ill thought out. For example why is there a tap here?

Most of your "good" details are literally stolen from other valve maps.

You need to stop relying on existing details from other maps and do some visual research of your own in order to make something original. This is the main reason why no one respects you. You havn't taken the time to actually learn anything practical in hammer, as a result of cutting corners people can still tell what's "SWATY" made and what's Valve made. This is just because you're new to hammer and cutting corners is slowing down your learning process of the tools available to you.

Your own detailing is largely illogical and mostly arbitrary.

You seem to just have a poor understanding of aesthetics and really need to do more visual research (for your own good). This isn't an insult, some people just havn't trained their eye for it. This stuff comes with practical experience and second+first hand research, which you're not going to get by copy and pasting the same props throughout your map and taking from Valve when you get stuck, then dusting your hands of it. Nobody minds people using Valve as a reference point to learn from, nor using consistant details that help maintain the TF2 narrative. But then there's just blatently ripping them off and being lazy.

Your understanding of what players want seems to be skewed.

Each of your maps has major flaws in both layout design and (less frequently) scale. Paths end up too long, others are OP. This seems to be partly as a result of your lack of patience for the development process. Your maps come out of nowhere in beta and you (and this isn't limited to you, we all do it) because of the large amounts of detail you would have to redo/delete in order to modify a layout, you mostly refuse to do it. Usually claiming that these arn't the intentions of your map to perform to a certain conformist patterns and that other players we've never heard of or seen think it's awesome. That's not to say you havn't tested the map at all or that it hasn't had kudo's from some players, but you just don't seem to like the idea that your map may need improving/is not perfect nor ready for a beta release. Just because it looks like a beta because of all the detail, doesn't mean the gameplay is up to par. Now you do take some advice, but you do seem to ignore the most important pieces (which do take a little more effort on your part, so it's not hard to see why you would be reluctant to do so).

This map happens to be a prime example of this fact. A load of corridors and narrow pathways, some even flanked by pits of death. CTF already suffers in TF2 from slow gameplay mechanics and the radar on the HUD that helps defence and reduces cap rates. Confining players to linear movements is the last thing you would want for a CTF map. If you had realised the issues that plague existing CTF maps by doing a little research your map would be drastically different (and dare i say, better).

Your displacement morphing is adequite at best.

You should research what cliffs actually look like or get some displacement practice in.

Infact i'm finding a trend here. Research. Do it. You can have all the competitive play testing support in the world but that wont help you truely make a wonderful map. It's for your own good to acknowledge these issues and resolve them to improve your skills.

Last edited:

demoman501

L1: Registered
Apr 5, 2010
I'll have to say the layout is pretty bad, I don't believe a map like this would stand well given the cramped design. This is tf2 and I like to have lots of room for fights. This structure looks too weird including the cliffs, needs more supports or something to add to it's visual design you were going with it. I've seen this guys other thread and he seems a bit too immature to be trying to take crits on his maps, and he would rather just be praised on them. He thanks the OMG LEET posts, which doesn't help him with this map... :p 2 cents deposited..

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
I guess i missed smth BIG and i dont know why all of you guys dislike him so much.

about the map: found some displacement holes in the cave right in the middle on the "roof". Also that small cliff near waterfall is useless.

Otherwise the map look amasingly ..balanced in terms of "how it looks". nothing that actually looks "out of place". Still waiting to test it in-game

Good job m8 :D

ANova

L7: Fancy Member
Jul 16, 2009
I like the map but the middle just doesn't feel like a middle and also i know its Hydro theme but could you add some team colors and more signs

Status
Not open for further replies.