Biomass

CTF Biomass RC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Looks lovely, will be happy to test this out later. I agree that Biomass is a little bit of a weird name though. I'd stay in the general area of names like hydraulic, vortex, tidal, flow, reservoir, etc.

Mould

L2: Junior Member
Apr 9, 2010
I might be new to custom maps and mapping, but I do know what a good map looks like, and I must say, this is up with the best in terms of looks. Well done! I love the use of the hydro theme and the detail is very strong.

However, I'm just gonna say it, this kind of gameplay doesn't agree with me at all. There are far too many places to die from one rocket knocking you off, and to be quite honest I think you should clip some of it off. I also think the waterfall sound is really loud and it hurts my ears.

Despite looking open, the places you can go is actually quite limited, and the vertical fighting is nearly non-existant. I'd love some variety: some high places some low.

But this map does look like its had a massive amount of work put into the detailing, now if you are willing to put the same work into some of the gameplay issues, you've got an amazing map on your hands. Keep going :D

FishyFishy

L1: Registered
Nov 21, 2009
One of the best looking customs save a few ruff edges.

Can't say anything in regards to gameplay, but I think that if the middle is taken out this will no doubt be a really fun map to play.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Removing the caves really improves the gameplay options on the map, but it also opens it up quite a bit to sniper fire. I think that you can make the middle a lot easier to traverse by adding some cover. The pedestal, though an excellent idea, looks a bit out of place. As I said before, it might look better and make more sense if it were a desk or table.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
So beta 2 includes some drastic changes starting wtih the middle area,
the cave being totally removed due to being too big and being too hard
to get the intel from the enemey's base so b2 has that fixed and the map is 100% playable now.
I retextured both bases since people were complaing not being able to know
which base is which so thats fixed too. Also, I added another route to the intel room to make it easier get the intel
and ton of other improvements as well.

Download
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=12609

Updated first post with new info/pics.

Beta 2 Changlog:

-Added rails on the sides to make it less pyro friendly.
-Added another route out of the intel room to make it easier getting the intel.
-Removed the windows above the intel room.
-Scaled down the water.
-Fixed clipping problems.
-Added more signs throughout the map.
-Added more detail throughout the map.
-Fixed lighting errors.
-Retextured both bases so its easier to know on which base you are on.
-Removed the whole middle area(the cave) due to being too dificult to get the intel from the enemy's base.
-Removed a side route at mid being useless.
-Fixed ton of visual glitches
-Added more lights.
-Improved FPS by a lot.
-Added spec cameras.
-Improved visually the 3D skybox

Updated Screenshots:

j6ituc.jpg

s5isdt.jpg

s3mqh1.jpg

2h5noz7.jpg

1444nwi.jpg

28wly4l.jpg

15xlo4i.jpg

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I might be new to custom maps and mapping, but I do know what a good map looks like, and I must say, this is up with the best in terms of looks...

Apparently, you don't.

Probably, because you're new to mapping.

Let me explain: Swaty's detailing follows no strict rules or logic beyond "these props go on walls, these go on the floor, and these go on the ceiling". He's sees items in certain environments and copies them with no thought as to why certain objects are found where they are. It's this failure to connect the reason and logic that exists behind these aesthetics that causes his detail work to appear so arbitrary and illogical. A models purpose is to provide additional detail, but acting as an extention of the environment. Not to be placed because something looks bare. In fact bare is not always bad, it's just usually less interesting.

Seemingly, his aesthetical logic being that a wall is bare and thus needs something to break the visual monotony. This isn't exactly design, yet. This could even be considered common sense. It's like noticing a hole in your bedroom wall and deducing that in order to stop any further draft you need to plug this hole. You've noticed an issue and there are but two resolutions. Do something or do nothing. The problem solving comes with the "how". Actual design comes into play when figuring out what would be acceptable aesthetics according to the games narrative. It's this failure to distinguish meaning and purpose (in accordance to TF2's hold on certain aspects of reality) that causes him to fail at producing convincing moods or immersive environments. You will find a general sense of cohesion, windows on walls, urban props in urban environments. But that's about as far as the consistancy goes.

In short: Props do make your map pretty, the quality of the props are to a standard that improve the overall quality of the maps appearence; but merely having props in ones map does not result in an acceptable art pass.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
Apparently, you don't.

Let me explain: Swaty's detailing follows no strict rules or logic beyond "these props go on walls, these go on the floor, and these go on the ceiling". He's sees items in certain environments and copies them with no thought as to why certain objects are found where they are. It's this failure to connect the reason and logic that exists behind these aesthetics that causes his detail work to appear so arbitrary and illogical. A models purpose is to provide additional detail, but acting as an extention of the environment. Not to be placed because something looks bare. In fact bare is not always bad, it's just usually less interesting.

Seemingly, his aesthetical logic being that a wall is bare and thus needs something to break the visual monotony. This isn't exactly design, yet. This could even be considered common sense. It's like noticing a hole in your bedroom wall and deducing that in order to stop any further draft you need to plug this hole. You've noticed an issue and there are but two resolutions. Do something or do nothing. The problem solving comes with the "how". Actual design comes into play when figuring out what would be acceptable aesthetics according to the games narrative. It's this failure to distinguish meaning and purpose (in accordance to TF2's hold on certain aspects of reality) that causes him to fail at producing convincing moods or immersive environments. You will find a general sense of cohesion, windows on walls, urban props in urban environments. But that's about as far as the consistancy goes.

In short: Props do make your map pretty, the quality of the props are to a standard that improve the overall quality of the maps appearence; but merely having props in ones map does not result in an acceptable art pass.

ya what this random kid said.

Username

L2: Junior Member
Aug 26, 2008
apparently, you don't.

Seemingly, his aesthetical logic being that a wall is bare and thus needs something to break the visual monotony. This isn't exactly design, yet. This could even be considered common sense. It's like noticing a hole in your bedroom wall and deducing that in order to stop any further draft you need to plug this hole. You've noticed an issue and there are but two resolutions. Do something or do nothing. The problem solving comes with the "how". Actual design comes into play when figuring out what would be acceptable aesthetics according to the games narrative. It's this failure to distinguish meaning and purpose (in accordance to tf2's hold on certain aspects of reality) that causes him to fail at producing convincing moods or immersive environments. You will find a general sense of cohesion, windows on walls, urban props in urban environments. But that's about as far as the consistancy goes.

I might be new to forum posts and logic, but I do know what constructive criticism looks like, and i must say, this is up with the worst in terms of helpfulness...

Last edited by a moderator:

FishyFishy

Nov 21, 2009
I'm not a mapper, nor is an estimated 95% of the TF2 community so I'm going to guess that to 95% of those players, this map looks fucking amazing.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
I'm not a mapper, nor is an estimated 95% of the TF2 community so I'm going to guess that to 95% of those players, this map looks fucking amazing.

63% of the TF2 community thinks this map needs more windmills.

FishyFishy

Nov 21, 2009
I'm not an idiot either and can also guess that the people who say this map doesn't look good are butt hurt because of SWATY's solid rape and obviously dominant mapping skills.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
I'm not an idiot either and can also guess that the people who say this map doesn't look good are butt hurt because of SWATY's solid rape and obviously dominant mapping skills.

No doubt, but there still aren't enough windmills. The balance can't be perfected until at least four windmills are erected in the map. Also, there need to be more fish.

Jan 20, 2010

Didn't you mention something about being pretentious earlier.

SWATY's Sig said:
haters gonna hate cuz im the best

That's being pretentious.

Also, why are all of your posts in SWATY's threads? Perhaps you could venture elsewhere. There are plenty of skilled mappers on this site other than SWATY. Plenty.

Last edited:

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Also, why are all of your posts in SWATY's threads? Perhaps you could venture elsewhere. There are plenty of skilled mappers on this site other than SWATY. Plenty.

Can't you tell that there aren't? SWATY is the only skilled mapper in the TF2 universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.