Model An edit of a staircase to make it double-sided

Discussion in 'Request Area' started by ExtraCheesyPie, Jan 30, 2015.

1. ExtraCheesyPie

ExtraCheesyPie L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    edit: ( Would it be easier just for me to learn how to use blender and edit it myself?)

I just need a prop model of models/props_forest/sawmill_stairs.mdl where the short staircase leading to the "pad" also comes off the other side. I want to make a koth map, but the problem is that the existing stair models come off only one side, making it unsuitable for symmetry. And if I use the short stair prop on the other side, it's too long and goes into the ground, among other differences.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (sorry for steam screenshots, didnt realise they would come out like that)

If the images help. I don't know if it would be a lot of work (I don't think it would be) but then again, I don't know a thing about modelling so I'm probably wrong. I'll give a refined to anyone who helps :)

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    You could just build brush-based staircases, and then put playerclipped ramps on them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ExtraCheesyPie

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm, I guess I could, but I feel like the sawmill stairs work a lot better since the structure is supposed to be an old factory thingy.

4. Sheltr

Sheltr L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    It would be a lot easier to just make it out of brush work. you can even copy over the staircase to make it look a lot like it, or another way I guess you could simply make the ground a displacement and lower the ground slightly where the stairs are.

5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    A factory probably wouldn't have wooden stairs, then, unless I'm misinterpreting this.

6. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    Brushwork stairs are generally better, they're more flexible if you have to adjust them later and players really won't care about the small detail differences compared to prop stairs.

I'm not sure why Valve makes so many stair props, if they were curved or something that's one thing but a single straight flight of stairs just seems like a lot of work for not a lot of benefit.

Now, some new textures custom tailored for staircases, that would be worth something. wood_beam03 is horribly overused. :O

7. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Guilty... :p

8. ExtraCheesyPie

Positive Ratings:

Well not as much a factory, just a sawmill like area with machinery left inside.

9. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    Alternatively, you could just use flip symmetry in your map instead of mirroring it. (Flip symmetry is better anyways, because if you get autobalanced on a mirrored map, you need to get used to a flipped version of what the layout was before)

10. Dr. Sasha

Dr. Sasha L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd recommend you just make a staircase out of brushes for atleast the alpha stages of your map. Then if you decide in the beta stage in your map that the staircase is still needed in the map at all and the position of it is still the same, then you can go ahead and make a model of it.

Just don't make a model and then realize later that you never needed that staircase or you didn't like it.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. ExtraCheesyPie

Positive Ratings:
    Can you explain? Flip symmetry is like harvest maps, while mirror maps is like viaduct, correct?

I'd rather keep it mirrored, because theres a very unusual structure, and duplicating it would make it stupid.

12. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    I think in this case flip symmetry is rotational symmetry; so yeah, like Viaduct.

13. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    This thread is so confusing.

Viaduct is mirrored symmetry, or flipped symmetry, whatever you want to call it. Not rotational.

Harvest and such are rotational symmetry, the other half has been spun around 180 degrees rather than mirrored.

• Thanks Thanks x 1