7:37 PM - flame ♫: best update ever

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Ah, daaamnnnnn that's harsh. I guess the pyro extinguish point is more justified then since it'll be harder to get that off as the flames die out quicker.

Update. No, it probably isn't same total damage over less time.

Steam Forums said:
PYRO:
-20% Flamethrower damage applies to BOTH the normal Flamethrower AND the Backburner
-Afterburn is reduced to 6 seconds, as is the damage to 60%. It's now ~36 damage over 6 seconds.
-Afterburn reduction applies to ALL weapons, also Flaregun, which makes it pretty much useless now.

:\

Hadn't had a chance to test it myself yet (servers are "too busy" or something).

Kep

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Worst pyro nerf ever.

Mar 23, 2010
i was literally about to make a thread saying "best thread ever" XD

crit-a-cola = 142 and 153 damage meatshots for 6 seconds

flare gun is now UP
backburner is not completely UP (-20% damage for both)
sandman is better
BONK!, which i always loved, i will probably still love. (30 second cooldown is quite harsh).

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
The airblasting got a good buff, but I'm not sure if it will compensate for the nerf to flames. The pyro is not a class that needs a nerf.

This is what baffles me though: the pyro is the ONLY dps class in the game, and yet they keep making his dps ability (burning) less and less useful. How does it make sense to mitigate the one thing that differentiates him from other classes?

Jan 20, 2010
Scratch the +50 HP thing I mentioned earlier. Apparently that isn't a feature but someone misread the cfg file.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The airblasting got a good buff, but I'm not sure if it will compensate for the nerf to flames. The pyro is not a class that needs a nerf.

This is what baffles me though: the pyro is the ONLY dps class in the game, and yet they keep making his dps ability (burning) less and less useful. How does it make sense to mitigate the one thing that differentiates him from other classes?

The pyro seemed well rounded and the only thing i really wished for him was for the airblast to chew up less ammo. Even if it was 20 instead of 25 units. The flare got the minicrit buff so i'm not so concerned about the dps nerf for that, but the flamethrower nerf was surprising. Although the damage at point blank was buffed to 100% months before it now got nerfed by 20%. I can only assume they thought it broke flow (which i guess it kinda did) but that's really the pyro's perk. If he's not good in close combat, and doesn't have the dps to even his mid range performance capabilities then he really doesn't do much at all but sit there reflecting stuff that gets shot at him.

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I like the pyro changes, I often get annoyed about the time it takes between two airblasts/airblasts and flames. Everything else is cool. It'll probably be a couple of days before I pplay so they can patch the updates for shit that got broke.

Feb 14, 2008
The pyro has needed a nerf for a long time. And I'm sure all you pyro players are "hfhsdhwhatw+m1asdhashdah" about it, but, it was so intensely annoying to just randomly meet a pyro somewhere in the map and have no chance of escape.

Freight is great, don't diss :)

When is the engineer update coming though? In retrospect, it might be a little while longer than we thought (was this to tide us over?).

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
cp_freight_final1 isn't a bad map, but it used to be so much better when it was just called cp_freight.

Maybe this was the missing community map from the WAR! Update :O

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
The problem with the Pyro changes is that it de-emphasizes the ability of the Pyro to do well in combat and over-emphasizes the airblasting, which turns into a big fat nerf as soon as you play against enemies smart enough to put away your rocket launcher and use a shotgun.

The Bad
  • Pyro loses 20% in direct flamethrower/backburner damage
  • Pyro loses 40% in afterburn damage. It simply stops burning sooner. Sucks for the flaregun.
The "meh"
  • The Heavy changes. The Heavy needs some help, but adding blanket buffs isn't necessary, he needs buffs that involve player skill and interaction rather than passive ones.
  • The faster airblast refire rate and minicrits. They're useful, but not what I'd like to see.

The Good
  • Airblast ammo usage decreased
  • Most of the other stuff.

If the steam forums are to be believed, it's still the same damage just over 6 seconds instead of 10. Which makes it one hell of an uptweak.

The Steam Forums are full of foolish easily-led people who never test a goddamn thing when they can choose to make wild-ass guesses and initiate myths instead. :facepalm: (OK, that came out sort of harsh, but I do post there a lot so there's probably some baggage.)

For the record (tested it with my own little fingers and console commands) afterburn was nerfed. It's the same DPS but it cuts off after 6 seconds instead of 10.

Last edited:

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Gunboats, Pain Train can now be crafted properly. Not sure about the others but I'm hoping they work fine too.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
The Heavy buffs are great! I still miss some knockback protection but being able to act a little quicker will make the class so much more fun to play. :)

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
Come on though, mini-crit on projectiles and shorter re-use period! That's me now kicking ass against Soldiers and Demos, Flame plus critaxe Heavys and just flame everyone else. Pyro *is* well rounded. Can Pyro's now mini-crit Sentries? That would be awesome!

Feb 18, 2009
<3

the only part I don't really like is the Bonk! changes, but that's not really a problem.
The pyro part should be good, promote use of airblasting! thing is, the first 2 points of that, do they affect the backburner too? I don't think they should, 'cos that could then balance the backburner I think...