WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I'm aware of that, but if I can't get a nice looking material for the glass there's no need to bother with investing a ton of effort making an awesome model.

Mar 23, 2010
what if it had a bunch of octagon-shaped, fancy color-stained glass with all the colors of the rainbow. can u imagine how cool it would look. imagine.

Chronicius

L1: Registered
Jun 11, 2014
A feeble attempt at a sane depiction truly, but the representation of the expanded horizon, i have decided, shall remain central to my work.

a45c82d4c4.jpg

My belief, firm as it is, is that once finished and perfected, this shall become a beloved home to the brawls of the enlightened.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
what if it had a bunch of octagon-shaped, fancy color-stained glass with all the colors of the rainbow. can u imagine how cool it would look. imagine.

The Church of Mann, depict scenes of Saxton punching bears in the glass.

Like that stained glass texture of Freeman from the Half-Life tech demo all those years ago.

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
The Church of Mann, depict scenes of Saxton punching bears in the glass.

Like that stained glass texture of Freeman from the Half-Life tech demo all those years ago.
Is that where that thing comes from?
I never knew that.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I'm aware of that, but if I can't get a nice looking material for the glass there's no need to bother with investing a ton of effort making an awesome model.

Why not look at the vmts for the existing glass textures? Or the glass on various models, like the medic's hazmat thing?

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Is that where that thing comes from?
I never knew that.

Yeah, Valve was showing off their shader system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ddJ1OKV63Q#t=236

Why not look at the vmts for the existing glass textures? Or the glass on various models, like the medic's hazmat thing?

It actually is using one of the glass textures right now as a placeholder. The problem to me seems to be the scale of it.. windows in a map are easy to make shiny because they're up close and probably have a env_cubemap nearby to reflect the world.

A giant glass dome? Based on my experimentation so far it's going to require some trickery and I was curious if anyone had tackled that problem before and had some advice. cp_biodome is an interesting pointer, but it doesn't appear the creator of that map tried to make the dome glossy. Which is fine, if that's how it needs to be I'll adapt but I wouldn't have known at all without asking.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I got a dumb idea and played around with it a bit tonight.

8733E370647EE3B45790B76970EE05D7A32C8028

The glass might need some kind of specular effect or something so it doesn't just look like a grey tint.

Anyone ever done anything like this and got advice? Maybe put a phong reflection on the material? I'm not sure trying to put a specular map on it would be efficient or even look that good.

Don't bother with any glass, just focus on the framework, The implication of glass will be beter than the graphics oddities caused by actual glass.
Also, your idea isn't exactly new, valve are doing exactly the same thing on their moonbase map:
moonbase_big.jpg

Mar 23, 2013
Don't bother with any glass, just focus on the framework, The implication of glass will be beter than the graphics oddities caused by actual glass.
Also, your idea isn't exactly new, valve are doing exactly the same thing on their moonbase map:
moonbase_big.jpg

But that's not a screenshot, so it might be not there

ellacourn

Jun 12, 2014
Why does it being a new idea (or not) matter?

It kinda doesn't but I think the main point is that glass in a level has been done before ( if I remember correctly, Harvest ) and most times it's done, they don't use advanced shaders and textures to make it all pretty. They kinda keep it more simple ( which I guess, is for all items in TF2 ).

ellacourn

Jun 12, 2014
A whole map covered in a dome has not been done by an official map. Biodome had a dome that covered though, only one that comes to mind.

No, I meant a map with glass. A map with a dome is rather rare, I agree. I was just saying that glass in levels ( i.e. windows ) don't usually have complex textures and shaders to go with them ( at least, to my knowledge ).

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
No, I meant a map with glass. A map with a dome is rather rare, I agree. I was just saying that glass in levels ( i.e. windows ) don't usually have complex textures and shaders to go with them ( at least, to my knowledge ).

Because I think scale matters.. with a pane of glass in a normal map it's not that big a deal. You get a shimmer or maybe a hint of the surrounding area due to a cubemap and it's good enough.

With an enormous dome though, you can't press your nose against it. Scale matters. I was thinking some kind of banded specular effect might look kind of nice, or maybe some kind of flare when you look at the sun. But I was having trouble getting it to work last night so I posted in the thread asking for people's experiences. It might just need more banging on it to get things looking nice.

Completely ignoring the glass and just building the structure will probably work too and I'll experiment with it as I work on it.. there's no reason I couldn't work on both and just pick whatever looks nicest.

ellacourn

Jun 12, 2014
Because I think scale matters.. with a pane of glass in a normal map it's not that big a deal. You get a shimmer or maybe a hint of the surrounding area due to a cubemap and it's good enough.

With an enormous dome though, you can't press your nose against it. Scale matters. I was thinking some kind of banded specular effect might look kind of nice, or maybe some kind of flare when you look at the sun. But I was having trouble getting it to work last night so I posted in the thread asking for people's experiences. It might just need more banging on it to get things looking nice.

Completely ignoring the glass and just building the structure will probably work too and I'll experiment with it as I work on it.. there's no reason I couldn't work on both and just pick whatever looks nicest.

From my personal experiences in general with the dreaded glass mats, I would just wait until you have the whole structure built. Messing around with glass is tricky and it's usually time consuming ( at least from my experience ). And yeah, I would use $envmap to create that effect ( or even, dare I say it, you could use $phong for a different but equally applicable effect, which I have no experience with ).

Also, sorry if I seem not very knowladgable in this stuff. It's been a couple years since I touched the Source Engine and I'm still getting into the swing of things again.

Last edited:

Empyre

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 8, 2011
Maybe use the bulletproof glass texture (scaled up?) to give an indication that something is there, or more likely a non-shiny copy of that texture.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Well it's still pretty terrible, but I guess it means I have a proof of concept. Now I just have to make the textures and models not a steaming pile of poo.

E8A384263C76F8FCFBE37E5D24A4471786960C39

It looks a bit better in game, because the reflections actually move. A solid color for the glass with low opacity and a very soft normal map seems to be the best bet, the one in the screenshot is a bit over exaggerated.

Phong ended up being a bust, it doesn't do what I thought it did. I went with a standard envmap reflection.