The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
bob_ross_argument_01.jpg

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Brick is part of an old retaining wall. Stone structure is the basement foundation of a building, exposed when the cliff next to it was excavated and held back by said retaining wall. There's a narrative that'll be more clear once the entire thing's detailed; I've got some good reference material, as well as my own experience in such settings to draw upon. Wish I had more to show at the moment...

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
My issue with that screenshot is the abundance of red textures on the blu side.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well, you should wait playing the map before saiyng that Grazr :(

I don't need to, i can see from that screenshot that there's no dividing skybox brushes culling areas of the map, particularly because of the fact it's taken from so high up. For instance, as seen in badwater, dustbowl, hydro, granary, badlands... in fact the only maps that don't feature vis blocking skybox brushes are sawmill and 2fort.

As for Mangy's picture, both sides make valid points, though for consistancies sake i agree the brick is very jarring, but then i've also come to accept that a lot of Mangy's map's themes are very schizophrenic anyway. Some people just map that way without thinking too much about it.

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
It would probably look a bit better in game. Some shadows and world light can do a lot to improve aesthetics.

But even so, it does seem ill-fitting.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
i for one have no problem with the texture switch, though im not sure if those two textures look good together.

Exactly this. I've often found that no matter what little narrative i made up in my head regarding any particular detail, if the player doesn't understand, it doesn't matter, you've failed to make that translation.

It's like when Ravidge tried to do his desert snow theme. It happens, but it still confuses the average player because the average player can't put 2 and 2 together.

But i guess that's always been the artist's dilema no matter the medium.

Deodorant

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2011
Exactly this. I've often found that no matter what little narrative i made up in my head regarding any particular detail, if the player doesn't understand, it doesn't matter, you've failed to make that translation.

It's like when Ravidge tried to do his desert snow theme. It happens, but it still confuses the average player because the average player can't put 2 and 2 together.

But i guess that's always been the artist's dilema no matter the medium.
I think it's all about how intuitive the narrative is. Ctf_sawmill places two modern spytech rooms in an area of rundown wooden shacks, and we accept it because we instantly understand that the shacks serve as a facade. To me, the brick wall looks natural, because I assume that someone built it to block up an obsolete channel, decades or centuries after the stone walls were built.
If I entered a map with a desert-snow theme, my natural reaction would be to think 'attention-grabbing gimmick' and be annoyed.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I'd be challenged to identify a player I've known who have ever noticed a "poorly chosen" texture. For the most part they're pretty quick to point out nodraw errors or clipping problems but transitions from brick01 to brick02 go completely uncommented.

I really only see discussion like that come from actual mappers, people who willfully spend hours a day nudging vertices around to make every polygon perfect.

Obviously there's a threshold to this. Players will certainly notice desert-to-snow but other than that there's a whole bunch of leeway.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
That's actually not that bad, you can in fact get snow and frost in the high plains of Arizona.

I'm sure it happens elsewhere, that's just the only place I've seen it with my own eyes.