WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Sculptris
Screenshot-2012-03-19_10.52.51.png

I'm learning how to sculpt humans? I don't know, this is more difficult than I thought...

You should start by importing a super simple base mesh, that way all your major proportions are already correct. It's not cheating because it's what every professional does.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
You should start by importing a super simple base mesh, that way all your major proportions are already correct. It's not cheating because it's what every professional does.

I'm aware that using a basemesh is the standard, however, I felt that doing it from scratch at least once would give me more practice. Like how you should set up a gamemode manually in tf2 before using booj library :)
Also I can feel more badass knowing I started with a goddamn sphere.

I'm still figuring out when to use which tool, and hotkeys for the most part...

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
True, but tbh making your own base mesh is still 'doing it from scratch' :p

I was using sculptris the other day, does it have X/Y/Z snapping for rotating?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I put a tower on my map ! :O

2012-03-17_00006.jpg

First thought: Oh wow, that's looks sassy.

Second though: Oh god, that's not optimised at all.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
That was my thought until I had a third: "Actually, I can't see enough of the area around that to make that call."

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Why is the material changing from nice big rock walls, to bricks, and then back to rocks in the bottom mid left?

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Because real stuff is built in messy ways like that.

I'd love to see some reference pictures of buildings where they just decided during construction to build the walls out of two totally different materials.

Whether it's realistic or not the sudden change in materials and colour doesn't look good. If there was a larger transition between materials, to clearly identify the different materials as belonging to different structures then it probably wouldn't bother me, but right now it appears to be the same structure just changing materials for no apparent reason.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I'd love to see some reference pictures of buildings where they just decided during construction to build the walls out of two totally different materials.

Not every building is built all at once. In fact, most buildings are built and then extended multiple times during their lifetime. Often with different materials.

You can see through the stone window to a second brick wall, the brick was built first then the stone stairs added later. Or perhaps the stone stairs are the original and there was some structural collapse and they replaced it with brick cause it was cheap and easy. Either way, mixing of brick and stone like that is exactly the kind of stuff that happens all over, everywhere.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Not every building is built all at once. In fact, most buildings are built and then extended multiple times during their lifetime. Often with different materials.

You can see through the stone window to a second brick wall, the brick was built first then the stone stairs added later. Or perhaps the stone stairs are the original and there was some structural collapse and they replaced it with brick cause it was cheap and easy. Either way, mixing of brick and stone like that is exactly the kind of stuff that happens all over, everywhere.

To be clear, this is the part I'm talking about.

3119.jpg

It literally just turns into a different material. I have no problem with the part you mention, because it is totally clear that they are two distinctly different parts, whereas the only thing separating these two is a skimpy wooden pillar. I just find it totally unbelievable that some sort of transition of materials could happen behind something that small. So just make it bigger so that they don't look like they're the same wall.

Last edited:

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I'd like to remind everyone realism != verisimilitude. It can exist in some weird place irl but the players won't care and still think it's out of place

Plus isn't that supposed to be the BLU side? Maybe not with the red wood to the left of it idfk

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
It literally just turns into a different material. I have no problem with the part you mention, because it is totally clear that they are two distinctly different parts, whereas the only thing separating these two is a skimpy wooden pillar. I just find it totally unbelievable that some sort of transition of materials could happen behind something that small. So just make it bigger so that they don't look like they're the same wall.

Faster transitions have happened ;)

stock-photo-flint-stone-and-brick-wall-to-old-house-in-worthing-west-sussex-england-59809093.jpg

Though it might not be common, it didn't strike me as unbelievable, they seem like 2 different walls to me, that can be built at different times

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
People can't join two walls of different materials at the same place they need a support?

jesus christ

Are you deliberately trying to misinterpret my posts? I clearly said that a bigger object between the part where the two walls meet would make it clear that they are two different walls and alleviate the issue I have with it suddenly changing.

Faster transitions have happened ;)

stock-photo-flint-stone-and-brick-wall-to-old-house-in-worthing-west-sussex-england-59809093.jpg

Though it might not be common, it didn't strike me as unbelievable, they seem like 2 different walls to me, that can be built at different times

Completely ignoring that you're posting a hackjob repair, and not an actual building addition...

Notice how in your picture the stones are roughly the same size as the bricks and each other? Try doing a brick wall into something with non uniformly shaped rocks?

Last edited: