WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
Hl2 textures. Oh you bad naughty boy. I seriously encourage you to filter your textures using the tf keyword. HL2's textures do not fit in with tf2's style. period. no argument, no discussion, no situational kerblah or scapegoating.

They're lower resolution, noisy, dirty, and "grainy gritty realistic"

As for the actual environment so far, it also Looks like sniper heaven.

Last edited:

Skibur

L1: Registered
Dec 6, 2011
Hl2 textures. Oh you bad naughty boy. I seriously encourage you to filter your textures using the tf keyword. HL2's textures do not fit in with tf2's style. period. no argument, no discussion, no situational kerblah or scapegoating.

They're lower resolution, noisy, dirty, and "grainy gritty realistic"

As for the actual environment so far, it also Looks like sniper heaven.
As I mention in the post, I'm trying to replica the same experience from Halo Reach. This involves great details, realistic texture, and possibly the closes to substitute the map from Halo Reach.

Without further edu, this is a community made map, it's really up to the author on how he chooses the setting of the map, and I decided to go this way. If you have any problem, please don't reply :p Just gotta deal with it.

(At least I'm doing something more complicated and advance than many user here <_<)

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
complicated and advanced

Hahaha.

No need for the ego, just letting you know everyone is gonna look down on you for those textures. At least here they will. Generally most of us aim for Valve quality in our maps so seeing a map using HL2 textures just kinda, seems off, I guess.

Hope you have a fun and enjoyable mapping experience.

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
obvious cross-post and pimpage.

Floating cactus, joshua tree, and fences are TOTALLY intentional.

2011-12-07_00003.jpg

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
not sure how to describe it, but the opening in the hill in the centre of the picture looks odd to me. the perfect rectangle cut into the rock and all that

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
The complicated and advance part is about designing their map without using 3D modeling. :p
I didn't say it was complicate to copy lol.

if anything, proper porting is more difficult than making a map with no custom 3d models.

in any case, the way you describe it gives off an unpleasant, arrogant vibe of empty bragging.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Porting maps 101: creating an exact replica of an environment from one game, in another, will not result in good gameplay. The the gameplay mechanics will often be completely different. Halo isn't a class based game, it has weapon pickups and vehicles. TF2 has a 1.5x scale ratio, damage falloff and medics.

Porting a map requires compromise. This is why badlands is infinitely better gameplay wise than dustbowl or 2fort. Dustbowl and 2fort are near faithful replica's and both have terrible balance issues.

Secondly, if you're going to port a map into TF2 and ignore the art style what's the point in porting it to TF2 at all.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
in any case, the way you describe it gives off an unpleasant, arrogant vibe of empty bragging.

I don't think it does, if he's doing a port and can't use 3D modeling, then yea, its tough...

And to back up what grazr said, porting is good for a "practice with hammer" or "practice your first TF2 map" ... but if it isn't your first TF2 map, then you should really be sticking with the TF2 artstyle (well, whats left of it) ... and making sure that you are VERY strict on keeping to the playstyle of TF2, not HL2.

Whatever you wish to do, we will respectfully help you with your endevours, but note that we will be more bias towards making it a "Standard" TF2 map.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2011
It is perhaps more labor-intensive to port a map into TF2 without custom content, but is it really more "complicated and advance"?

With a fully original map, one must come up with a layout, build it, and refine it again and again through the (rather limited) feedback from playtesting. On a map port, one takes an existing layout, recreates it to the best of their ability in TF2, and (in this case) refines it only slightly.

And while you're up on your high horse, I'm going to ask a few questions. Do you have any knowledge of entities and game logic? What about optimization? Lighting? How does the map look in a compile?

Perhaps it will serve as a good introduction to the Hammer editor (my first mapping attempt was a port of a CTF map from World of Warcraft), but in the end, I doubt this map will ever see a release day.