Why do you like mapping?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by cookiesurvival, Jul 13, 2015.

1. cookiesurvival

cookiesurvival L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Why do you like making maps?

The title says it all, why do you like making tf2 maps? Its hard for me to find the answer myself, so enlighten me with your opinion about mapping.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  2. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    I like challenging my skill, learning new things, creating environments and generally just giving myself something to do

3. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    i hate this shit, man

• Thanks Thanks x 8
  4. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I have no idea. Please help me.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    It's like a bad taste in your mouth you keep coming back to for some reason.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    This perfectly describes my relationship with alcohol.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Berry

aa Berry Sharing is caring, and I don't care

Positive Ratings:
    I do enjoy making maps. I am not held at gunpoint by Valve's employees to make maps to keep fueling this community, and Frozen does not send me death threats if I stop running impromptus. Do not call the police for any reason.

• Thanks Thanks x 8
  8. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    I don't.

Make maps, that is.

9. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm so awful at playing this game that making maps with deathpits is my best bet to kill someone.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Nothing beats working your ass off on a project and then hopping onto a server full of people who are having fun on it.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  11. Aman

Aman L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    To show other mappers and players what you are capable of. Also for feeling of finally getting to the point where your map gets a following of people who really enjoy your creation and look forward to updates.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I've been trying to answer this question for a long time. I think I used to love mapping (when I joined like 7 years ago) because it brought me so close to something I'd been daydreaming about every day since I was a kid - to make my own games. Wouldn't be exactly that, of course, but environment design and visual storytelling was always my favorite part of games, so it's close enough. Just the idea of bringing a place and a tiny story to life is great.

I haven't really been able to rekindle that feeling for years, though. I don't know where it was lost. Maybe it just stopped being novel. Whatever the case, I still stick around and try to make maps for some reason or another.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. Clone5184

Clone5184 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know exactly why. It started with me messing around with PeTI in Portal 2. Then I moved onto creating crappy maps in hammer when I found out that the in-game editor didn't have some of the stuff I wanted. Then I got TF2 and applied my "skills" there.

I think it may have something to do with having an initial idea, then watching it unfold in front of you over the course of several hours/days/weeks/months/years. And then getting that feeling of accomplishment once you've made it.

14. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    I play tf2, I like game design, I wanted to make maps. It's just a fun and relaxing thing to do.

15. Kraken

Kraken Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess

Positive Ratings:
    Mapping? Ha I've been here for over 5 months and not even once posted a working picture of any of my maps. So I don't think I'm suitable for answering this question.

16. KubeKing

aa KubeKing Back home in Jupiter, things are getting harder

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not sure if there's much that compares to spending ~20 hours on a map, then standing back and thinking...

then absolutely hating in on the first playtest

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. SC PL

aa SC PL local shitposter

Positive Ratings:
    I don't like mapping very much, but I like to create one sometimes

18. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    It baffles me just how many people here genuinely do not enjoy mapping. Just... why do you do it?

19. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nah, i actually love it. It's just harder to explain than making a sarcastic remark. I guess i always was more of an editor than a player, i actually remember editing levels for Mr.Robot on the C64 when i was like ~10 years old.
    It basically comes down to - I'm a big nerd.

• Thanks Thanks x 1