What We're Up To

Light08

L1: Registered
Jun 25, 2012
What exactly are the conditions... if there are any?
From the look it seems people want to just re-design their own maps while I'm considering making a re-design of an official Valve map à la cp_powerhouse (Horrorhouse?). The blog didn't even mention if you're allowed to use your own maps or not... neither if you're allowed to change Valve-made maps, at least not directly mentioned.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I suppose so, but i'd still be surprised. Maybe i'm just a negative nancy but i'd be surprised if a retheme done in a month (or functionally speaking less: they won't make their choice October 29th) would be of sufficient quality.

I think it's probably better to focus on collectively supporting existing maps than to trip over our own feet putting pumpkins and dimmer skyboxes into everything, based on the hope of a vague promise of "showcasing" maps.

I guess it's interesting to see that "drop everything and spawn a ghost" is our reaction to valve basically saying "a few good halloween maps will get something i guess."

Light08

L1: Registered
Jun 25, 2012
Creating a whole new map for Hallowen is
A) different as we had previously. All maps were re-skins of existing maps, and
B) a big disadvantage.
Valve came with that announcement unexpected and that just like ~3-4 weeks before the deadline. Making a new map in that short time is out of question, except you want to work on it all day and all night. Seeing how gameplay-tests need to be done to tweak new things and fix bugs, which will take maybe another week if you want to make it perfectly smooth, that would mean you had about 2 weeks to create it and look good, which is a really difficult goal. And don't forget that people who already created a halloween map have a lot less work. This just seems to unfair for people who can't show something immediatly.
The time should be about enough to make and test a re-themed variant of an already existing map. I see no point in adding a whole new map as an official map as even the Gun Mettle maps weren't really considered to be official a bit earlier, so why accept a new map which was just created for Halloween?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It's not like a Halloween event is a big surprise. People have been making Halloween maps in hopes Valve would buy them for years, and the Workshop encourages that further. You have a non-argument.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Moonlit has always had gameplay problems. Small chokey corridors, hallway-like routes, oddly placed points. It looks pretty and has a unique mechanic but all of Ezekel's maps got pushed to late beta or RC before the gameplay had been ironed out. Real shame.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Moonlit has always had gameplay problems. Small chokey corridors, hallway-like routes, oddly placed points. It looks pretty and has a unique mechanic but all of Ezekel's maps got pushed to late beta or RC before the gameplay had been ironed out. Real shame.

Some of his maps have those issues to some degree, sure. I think moonlit was pretty good with all that. Finals a bit hard, but thats not necessarily a bad thing.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Well, Moonlit has been doing well on the Workshop in any case. I'm sure at this point Valve's taken note of it in whatever way they do.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
I wish this forum had these:
box.png

THERE'S BLOOD IN THE BOX
THERE'S BLOOD IN THIS BOX

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Would Valve want to put an exclusively Halloween themed map in the game, though? Even in the artpass contest, there were technically two maps with the same layout, so people could play the "normal" one the rest of the year if they're boring people who don't like pretending it's Halloween all year long. (Of course, that was also before they released an item that made the server pretend it was Halloween whenever you wanted.)

Apr 14, 2013
I wish this forum had these:
box.png
@YM
That's a very bad idea. There is a very good reason we don't have an unthank or
box.png
button- it causes people to be more negative, it makes people be less useful and helping towards others. If someone asks a stupid question (for example: " how do I delete a brush"- that's a pretty stupid question) instead of helping, people would put the box sign to show that's stupid.
It also would make people write less detailed feedback. Why bother explaining the problems in a map, resource or a tutorial, when you can just say "
box.png
" ?
Personally, (and I'm pretty sure most people here would agree) I like to hear "You should have done X but you did Y" , because it's useful. However, hearing "it's stupid and bad" is annoying and not useful and I really don't like hearing it.

The
box.png
would also mostly be used towards new people or inexperienced people. So the experienced people (like yourself) might not mind the
box.png
because they would hardly see it used towards them, but the less experienced people would see it all the time, and honestly, that ain't no fun to see.

If we had the
box.png
, I would just put it on your comment, instead of writing this explaining why I think it's a bad idea. And then you might know I don't like your suggestion, but you won't understand why and would never change your mind, or at least know why other people don't like it.
Hope this helps

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
So my sideswipe at a specific post by a specific user turned into actual serious discussion??

To make this clear to everyone:
You all seem to have entirely missed what I was doing; I was never suggesting we have that feature, I was calling out a certain post as dumb in a way that I expected the user not to notice.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008