War update live!

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
For those of you who didn't notice in Icarus's link:

http://www.teamfortress.com/war/victory/shakespearicles/index.htm

They hid the text:
the strongest writer who ever lived
Right above the photograph. (Select it to see, it's black as well).

EDIT:
Figure I'd throw this in. It appears the eyelander glitches your next played class with a health deduction. This might be only an arena thing, but I'm pretty sure a friend had it happen to him on another map.

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
So I took a look at the new sky and this happened.

3-moons.jpg

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
Nah, the soldier deserves the boots more than the demoman, seeing as demos can travel a lot further in one jump compared to a soldier

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
However cp_gorge is just disappointing... it's like they started an assault cp map and gave up after the first stage.

I dunno, I actually get what they were going for with Gorge. There's a definitely real phenomenon of people getting fatigued with 2x3 A/D maps by the end of it, and often don't want to go through it again as the opposing role. Also, really, the best stage of a 2x3 is usually the last, since there's often a good chance of defenders winning instead of just being a speedbump like the first two stages often are.

Gorge sort of sidesteps the problem by keeping those intense attacks/defenses, without having to slog through two boring stages to get to it. The fast rounds also mean that you're not going to have to defend for like 20 minutes ever, and the roles of attackers and defender switch often so fatigue doesn't set in.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
What struck me about Gorge was this: Little nooks and crannies. I think it was designed with the Eyelander and Equalizer in mind, but it'd work for spies too, of course. It seems to have a lot more "ambush corners" compared to earlier Valve maps which seemed to emphasize a simpler sort of structure for intersections, since there are quite a few places where you can melee someone if they don't look both ways before crossing.

Last edited:

KaiserFate

L69: Deviant Member
Dec 9, 2009
Second slot has sticky bombs. That's what the demoman uses to jump. If he had gotten the boots they obviously would be in a different slot... probably in place of grenades.

Point taken, but my actual point was that Demo currently has a choice for tactics with the new weapons (rather than "will I use the new weapons, or the old ones?") whereas the Soldier just got a straight replacement.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
If the demomen got it... OH DEAR.

(Four sticky jumps EEEEEE)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
They do it more often because they can do it more often, as they have more health and take less damage. They didn't need those boots anywhere near as much as the demo did.

This.

A decent sticky jump can deal anywhere around ~70-90 damage (+/- fall damage) whilst a rocket jump can do ~25 when done properly. The self damage was nerfed somewhere around the first class updates for the soldier to enhance his class whilst the demoman was not.

Sticky jumping is a serious tactical choice that isn't often done without buffs, where as with a soldier it's a no brainer.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I wonder if Natascha nerfs the effects of the Chargin' Targe the same way it does enemies' normal speed. Because if so, it's suddenly a lot more useful...

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Has anyone even got the jumping boots yet? I havent seen em yet.

Am i right to think they are random drops only?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Refresh SDK content! Some greats models and textures in the new update!

Here's what I found so far: shiny new (literally) pipes and stills, yellow railings, blue plastic barrels (as seen in Half Life 2 — now with 50% less photorealism!), barrels on pallets, the red stripe on the outer wall, the red stripe and tiles on the inner wall and the gray equivalent, and of course our old friend the wall-o-alert-signs, which I still can't figure out how the hell they made light up. Did I miss anything?

Also they lumped all the new Gorge models under props_hydro for some totally unknown reason.

Either way, those pipes and stills are gonna come in handy, assuming I actually get around to designing that one map I had in mind...

SlayerBlitz

L3: Member
Dec 3, 2009
The war updates great. All the weapons are good except the eyelander which is good. I like to call the Equilizer taunt the F*UCK YOU button lol

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
If I'd realized folks were interested in the list of new assets, I'dve saved a list of stuff in the GCFs for a before/after comparison.