Trying to Make a 5CP map (clueless)

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
I started making a map designed to be 3cp, but to make it I realized it was too long so I wanted to make 5CP.
I need some mapping advice!

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Advice on what? You need to be more specific. Have you tried searching for guides on what you're looking for?

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
I need to know how to make the points and their logic. I have no clue what to do. I already searched guides and the internet.
couldn't find anything.

trees

L2: Junior Member
Apr 1, 2017
On the topic, I'd also like to know how the forward spawns in 5cp maps are made. I've looked around and there seems to be a lack of information on this.

Bubbles!

L1: Registered
Jul 13, 2017
The Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack, created by A Boojum Snark, comes with many improvements to hammer and I highly recommend downloading it and installing it as soon as possible. Included in the pack is a VMF containing all of the logic that composes every TF2 official game mode. Simply open the VMF, select and copy the Five Control Points logic, and paste it into your map :)

Bubbles!

Jul 13, 2017
On the topic, I'd also like to know how the forward spawns in 5cp maps are made. I've looked around and there seems to be a lack of information on this.
I found an article on game faqs about how to set up forward spawns. Here is probably the bit that will interest you:

Give the func_respawnroom a name, and give all the info_player_teamspawn entities the same name. Let's assume they're "forward_spawn" for the func_respawnroom and "forward_spawn_point" for the info_player_teamspawn entities, for the sake of this walkthrough. Make sure they are not activated at the start of the round. Similarly, name the initial spawn and its spawnpoints "initial_spawn" and "initial_spawn_point"; you'll need all these for the next step.

Then, go to the func_capturearea's properties for the point you want to toggle the forward spawn. Specifically, the Outputs tab. Let's assume this forward spawn is for Team 1 (BLU, I think; it matches with Skin 1 for the cap base, so go by that).

For activating the forward spawn:
OnTeam1Capture, Activate "forward_spawn".
OnTeam1Capture, Activate "forward_spawn_point".
OnTeam1Capture, Deactivate "initial_spawn".
OnTeam1Capture, Deactivate "initial_spawn_point".

For deactivating the forward spawn (when Team 2 - RED, I think - captures the point):
OnTeam2Capture, Deactivate "forward_spawn".
OnTeam2Capture, Deactivate "forward_spawn_point".
OnTeam2Capture, Activate "initial_spawn".
OnTeam2Capture, Activate "initial_spawn_point".

And that should be enough to get the forward spawn working.

Here is the article if you want to read more: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/437678-team-fortress-2/45488794

This might be a bit confusing, it sorta confused me at first, but I hope you can make use of it :)

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
The Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack, created by A Boojum Snark, comes with many improvements to hammer and I highly recommend downloading it and installing it as soon as possible. Included in the pack is a VMF containing all of the logic that composes every TF2 official game mode. Simply open the VMF, select and copy the Five Control Points logic, and paste it into your map :)

I would highly recommend against this being your first suggestion to new mappers. The ABS pack is there to make mappers' lives easier, and the gametype library is there for people who know how to set up the logic in the first place.

The TF2 section of the Valve Developer Wiki is pretty comprehensive on map logic, so I'd recommend you check those articles out before you begin taking massive shortcuts.

Bubbles!

Jul 13, 2017
I would highly recommend against this being your first suggestion to new mappers. The ABS pack is there to make mappers' lives easier, and the gametype library is there for people who know how to set up the logic in the first place.

The TF2 section of the Valve Developer Wiki is pretty comprehensive on map logic, so I'd recommend you check those articles out before you begin taking massive shortcuts.
Yeah in hindsight I realize what I said was not really the most complete answer. Thank you for pointing that out :)

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
team respawn entity has entry called "associated team entity", if you pair spawn points to capture points game will figure it out by itself