Tondo

KotH Tondo B5E

Sitrulus Melon

L2: Junior Member
Apr 8, 2022
Sitrulus Melon updated Tondo with a new update entry:

Tondo B5 - Lighting

- the update is mostly light adjustments, adjust brightness of some part of the map and lighting ambience, removed lights in unplayable parts of the maps
- disable collisions of some props
- adjusted some clippings in some parts of the map
- added props to block sightline
- texture changes
- Miscellaneous detail changes

The layout might change slightly in the next update, might be implementing more height variation to make it less flat in general

Read the rest of this update entry...

Sitrulus Melon

Apr 8, 2022

Tondo B5B

- fixed clipping near out of bounds area so it cant be stand on
- adjusted lighting. made the spawn rooms less bright
- detail changes: added some trims on some windows and doors
- made middle more space, removing some props
- removed the second stairs that lead direct to the point and made it a dropdown instead
- added plumbing
- miscellaneous changes, etc

Sitrulus Melon

Apr 8, 2022

B5C

- disable collisions on some props
- made the high ground less confined, by removing the pallet that was blocking
- added a ramp to the side of the stairs
- decreased the width of the stair route towards the point
- added back the flank route that passes behind the point
- miscellaneous detail changes and light adjustments

Sitrulus Melon

Apr 8, 2022

B5E - Experimental

A rather experimental changes for Tondo

• changed the capture point layout, adding some cover and some high ground
  • adjustments on elevation of some floors around mid
  • added a jump pad replacing the stacks of crates ramp
  • removed the flank route that goes to the other side without reaching mid
  • detailing adjustments
  • lighting color adjustments
  • added lighting out of bounds
  • some out of bounds detailing
  • and miscellaneous fixes

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I apologise this feedback is being left after beta

I feel like this map has a rather core problem of that the shape of it's combat arenas is quite samey. I have taken a screenshot to demonstrate.

1690292153358.png

Essentially your map is a series of rectangle and horizontal(lateral) boxes connected by vertical paths. I feel that as an attacker, rotating between paths attacking the point is very boring because they are basically flat, straight streets. Additionally, the paths you do have to move betwene these horizontal boxes are more or less straight as well, and where they're not they're quite cramped.
Basically every combat encounter you have in this map happens in the same direction, from the same angle, because enemies pushing back past their held point are funneled directly straight into you. You fight them in a straight hallway or you're flanked from the side because all enemies are deposited in a long box (the street) where they have access to the entire width of the map.

I'm sure you probably hate your map being compared to koth_king but I think it's a good example because it has the street thing going as well but manages to avoid this issue

1690292714638.png

The spaces in king are really varied in shape, The street zig-zags across the map. The routes are varied in shape and direction as well (and more numerous). You can even gain a height advantage over people pushing back from the point in multiple places. Rotating from one route to another offers more than running down a straight street with exits depositing directly onto it. I would endeavour to try and add some of this to your map.

It's probably too late to make serious changes to your map now and again, I apologise. I don't get to play TF2 very much so today was my first time on your map.
I hope my post has offered you something to think about at the least.

Sitrulus Melon

Apr 8, 2022
I apologise this feedback is being left after beta

I feel like this map has a rather core problem of that the shape of it's combat arenas is quite samey. I have taken a screenshot to demonstrate.

1690292153358.png

Essentially your map is a series of rectangle and horizontal(lateral) boxes connected by vertical paths. I feel that as an attacker, rotating between paths attacking the point is very boring because they are basically flat, straight streets. Additionally, the paths you do have to move betwene these horizontal boxes are more or less straight as well, and where they're not they're quite cramped.
Basically every combat encounter you have in this map happens in the same direction, from the same angle, because enemies pushing back past their held point are funneled directly straight into you. You fight them in a straight hallway or you're flanked from the side because all enemies are deposited in a long box (the street) where they have access to the entire width of the map.

I'm sure you probably hate your map being compared to koth_king but I think it's a good example because it has the street thing going as well but manages to avoid this issue

1690292714638.png

The spaces in king are really varied in shape, The street zig-zags across the map. The routes are varied in shape and direction as well (and more numerous). You can even gain a height advantage over people pushing back from the point in multiple places. Rotating from one route to another offers more than running down a straight street with exits depositing directly onto it. I would endeavour to try and add some of this to your map.

It's probably too late to make serious changes to your map now and again, I apologise. I don't get to play TF2 very much so today was my first time on your map.
I hope my post has offered you something to think about at the least.
appreciate the feedback by the way, thanks for the lengthy explanation. I will take notes of this and try to improve more off me making maps, helps a ton.

Sitrulus Melon

Apr 8, 2022

Tondo Update (Not an actual new version)

Haven't made any updates or touched valve hammer in a while because I was busy a lot. and I was still an amateur mapmaker myself (and probably burnout too). but I plan to release the redux redux version of the map in the future and my other wip maps. tondo though as my first map become tricky due to me trying to rush to the beta. but currently I am trying to change the layout up a bit or well considering to remake the entire map altogether in a new layout and maybe a newer concept.

that's...