The Heatmap Plugin - What it is and how you can help

InstantMuffin

L2: Junior Member
May 26, 2014
I don't understand. If you mean me/my tool with "we":
The demo data is no-touch. Only headers are documented and some packets are compressed, some not. There's no use for demos either way. The plugin can do its job just fine.

On a different note:
Multithreading is added.

What I still want to do:
-Save/load calibration data
-Make the GUI look pretty
-Add filters
-Different imaging modes (Simple points for example - faster and therefore good for calibration)
-Maybe a progress bar and the typical "time left"-label.

So far the performance is very good. I optimized this as much as possible. A 4096xSomething overview with the "Smoothing/Radius" maxed out (20/100 is actually enough), takes 9 seconds on my 2600k with the biggest log file I have at the moment.
Performance scaling is pretty straight forward:
-Linear to pixel count
-Linear to entry count
-Linear to smoothing value

InstantMuffin

May 26, 2014
Different smoothing settings:

10:
d9MdCx9.jpg

20:
mrFfWCH.jpg

50:
nHPxfXs.jpg

70:
lpNW3l6.jpg

100:
FdrMHmh.jpg

EDIT:
Sorry, is it possible to resize these here?

EDIT2:
Oh, now they're resized. Never mind. Obviously had to reload the page.

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Out of curiosity, how exactly does the heatmap image get lined up with the overview image? I'm curious, because I'd think you would need some sort of data about real-world coordinates vs. image coordinates, and I'm also wondering if there's any way to automate the overview image creation.

Last edited:

InstantMuffin

May 26, 2014
You have to calibrate the image with the data. Basically you get a quick render (of points, as mentioned above) and you move it around.

Regarding the image automation:
There is, but it's nothing you'd do "at home". For own uses you'd be better off taking the overview image yourself. Actually the dialog between me and FrozenR started because I was offering him an overview image for each map tf2maps offers. He said he'd rather have heatmaps. :p

InstantMuffin

May 26, 2014
Demos are replayed client-side only. There is no server on which sourcemod is running. The client just parses the packets and makes a replay out of it.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Oh feature request if I haven't wrote this before.
Heatmaps for where snipers are standing when they get kills, so I can know where the best sniper spots are.
Maybe the same with sentries so I know where they're being setup.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The thing about sentries got me thinking about ways to indicate the good sentry spots, and what I came up with was putting a marker at each spot where a sentry was put up, and coloring it from red to green based on how long it stayed up. And maybe the luminosity of the spots could be based on representing the most common location at 100% and scaling down proportionally. So, for example, suppose there are 20 rounds played in all. During 12 of those rounds, a sentry is erected in the same exact spot. That spot would be a color between #FF0000 and #00FF00 representing the average length of time it stayed up between 0 seconds and, oh, let's be generous and say three minutes. Over on another part of the map, another spot was the home to 3 different sentries over the course of the test. So it would be a color somewhere between #3F00000 and #003F00.

Then maybe a second version of the same map could use colors between red (most) and blue (least) to represent the damage outputs of those respective sentries.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I dunno about that... the Sentries that stay up the longest are the ones built far away from the action (that then go down as soon as one enemy approaches). More a sign of "scared Engineers build here" rather than "effective Sentry spot"

InstantMuffin

May 26, 2014
Project is on hold at the moment until some other stuff I'm working on is finished (which is more or less time-critical). Although that doesn't rule out me working on it (In fact I was in the mood to implement flowmaps a few days ago).
Some detailed results and explanations when this project reaches perfection as I don't want to start a hype train until public use is available.

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Do we still have heatmaps on servers? If not, I'd like to have

Last edited: