The Heatmap Plugin - What it is and how you can help

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Is there going to be anything special for different layers of the map? I'm worried about interpreting data on maps that have a lot of verticality, since it's all from a top down perspective.

Any chance we could get some sort of z axis filtering options?

Apr 14, 2013
Buildings locations would definetly be useful.
For the visual representation of sightlines I suggest that every time someone dies from a sniper rifle, it should take the sniper and the victim's locations and connect the two coordinates with a line. Not sure if it's possible program-wise, but I hope so.
Also, for pl maps, would it be possible to track the cart? for like, where it stopped or rolled backwards, where the most people were pushing it, and where was the cart each time BLU lost.

I didn't even think people still care about Grain. I actually considered abandoning it completely, because if I'll continue to work on it I'll have to remake the... well, the entire map, because of how badly it's built. I guess I'll start doing it now...

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Depends on your definition of "stand still" and what you want to do with it/interpret into it.

My thinking was more along the lines of "what sort of places do people camp"- that can be hard to interpret exactly from deaths alone.

I'd like to nominate pl_crusoe. Yes, my one. A good time for a test would be... most days in the next three weeks. Weekdays are easier than weekends.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
A lot of people said they enjoyed playing Maple Ridge so I'd like to put that up for nomination.

As for what I think should be recorded, headshots as you've mentioned (is it possible to show from where to where?) to help find sightlines, mini-sentry kills and mini-sentry build spots.

Things like teleporter placements would also be useful, and some way of showing cloak routes (dead ringer exempt or seperate)

InstantMuffin

L2: Junior Member
May 26, 2014
That's difficult/impossible. Those people camp to kill eitherway, they won't camp somewhere where nothing happens. So there is nothing much you can get out of a "detection" like that. Furthermore you don't "move" much during fights either.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
All these suggestions remind me of Jimbomcb's plugin that provided real-time top-down player locations and deaths.

InstantMuffin

May 26, 2014
Without bw-background, using a red-gradient:
jhJ7HpE.png

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
never went anywhere, he didn't have the time to build it to completion. I think it'd take constant work to update.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Halo 2 had a pseudo-3D display detailing where people killed and were killed from, including lines drawn to match up the killer with the killed. There's not many examples of it online anymore, but I did find this one that has a screenshot:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Halo2...veYouSeenTheGameViewerAndTheGamesRSSFeed.aspx

Might be overkill for what you're trying to do, but if you're recording the x,y,z of both people along with the weapon used, it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

A simpler solution might be two heatmaps.. one image of the location of every person when they kill an enemy, and a second to record deaths. That way people can flip between the two images to get a bit of the context. Additional images breaking down each weapon type might be nice also.

Going back to Halo 2, the problem with their heatmaps is that as more games were logged, the entire map turned into a giant blob of red. Probably won't happen with TF2 in this day and age because of the smaller player counts but it is worth considering.

InstantMuffin

May 26, 2014
That's not an issue with halo or the amount of data but rather with the algorithm. I won't have this issue here.

yoghurt

L1: Registered
Aug 2, 2013
These are just suggestion and might not be totally well thought through.

It would be great if there would be a filter between the different classes so you could see for example where does pyros get kills and where do they get killed most often.

I also thought that maybe if you are tracking the shots fired around the map, you could make a gradient map of the damage output from those shots. :)

EDIT:
I also just thought that maybe it would be more interesting to do the marathon thing on a finished map like Escarpment, Furnace Creek or Quarry.

Last edited:

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
I also thought that maybe if you are tracking the shots fired around the map, you could make a gradient map of the damage output from those shots. :)

Oooh, I like that idea. Especially for competitive testing, when teams are smart enough to ditch when they take too much damage rather than die.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Sandstone maybe?
I've just begun work on it again, some heatmaps would be nice for updating it. Truth be told though it's all ready had a lot of testing done to it.