The Frontline! Community Project - 1.2 IS LIVE!

PigeonVerde

L1: Registered
Aug 6, 2016
I'm going to be Classic Contrarian Lain™ again and say that you definitely should have playtested this on our servers before going ahead and detailing it, because while the detailing looks great the gameplay looks poor. It was the same deal with koth_oakvale and the creator has had to completely restart that map from the ground up. This game is actually one of the most difficult to make a layout for, considering along with the usual timings and defense positions you have many class mechanics to worry about and height disadvantage plays a massive part in gameplay. Mainly right now the map looks very flat, which makes quite a few classes pretty unapproachable. Heavy has a very easy time locking ground down without a height disadvantage, and a half decent Scout with destroy everything.

Yeah i guess I got kinda overboard with the details, the layout itself is one of the things I am trying to get it right, and I am focusing mostly on how to avoid engienests or sniper corridors so far, on top of that i realy didn't get any inspiration aside for the church part that kinda reminds of lakeside (minus the healthkit).

Also optimization is awfull but i am working on it :v

The Letter Before A

Cool Idiot
Jul 15, 2016
Sunshine shared some in-development assets with Frontline, hence the file structure.
ÖoooooooooOooOoOooH
Thanks!
Nobody noticed?

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
ÖoooooooooOooOoOooH
Thanks!
Nobody noticed?

Yeah this was one of the funnier late development things in Frontline. No one really noticed the assets that got released a few weeks earlier under the name along with Sunshine. Or at least, no one questioned why they were named Frontline.

Blade x64

Logical insanity
aa
Sep 3, 2009
Yeah this was one of the funnier late development things in Frontline. No one really noticed the assets that got released a few weeks earlier under the name along with Sunshine. Or at least, no one questioned why they were named Frontline.

All this makes me want to do is put all my self made assets into a directory called hl3 in hopes that someday I go official.

Also, all these town maps are making me want to change the theme of my 'clearly designed with a town theme in mind' map. Either that or I accept that this is like DoD where every map will take place in a town. Panzerschreck, anyone?

Frosty Scales

L2: Junior Member
Mar 22, 2015
I'm going to be Classic Contrarian Lain™ again and say that you definitely should have playtested this on our servers before going ahead and detailing it, because while the detailing looks great the gameplay looks poor. It was the same deal with koth_oakvale and the creator has had to completely restart that map from the ground up. This game is actually one of the most difficult to make a layout for, considering along with the usual timings and defense positions you have many class mechanics to worry about and height disadvantage plays a massive part in gameplay. Mainly right now the map looks very flat, which makes quite a few classes pretty unapproachable. Heavy has a very easy time locking ground down without a height disadvantage, and a half decent Scout with destroy everything.
The map was playtested on another server multiple times. Bit off to assume that this is the only place a map could be playtested on, no?
Also let it be known that the map looks far more flat in the screenshots than it actually is.

Infomaniac

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 29, 2015
I have 2 questions, how do i add a soundscape in hammer, and how do i install a soundscape.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
How do i install such cool assets once i download them? Where must i drop the folder?

Please check the green bar at the bottom of this page.

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
Are there any soundscapes for the frontline project?

I really wish for sounds of bullets, planes in the distance, explosions, yelling...

dryerlint

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 28, 2016
Are model requests still being accepted? I think it would be nice to see a "red phone" model like this one. It would go great with the new Spytech consoles and TF2's "Cold War" theme

Red_phone.jpg

Jul 26, 2015
Are model requests still being accepted? I think it would be nice to see a "red phone" model like this one. It would go great with the new Spytech consoles and TF2's "Cold War" theme

Red_phone.jpg

You mean like these ones?

Coldfront10.png

Jul 21, 2016
model requests?
if there are still model requests, can i request a backpack like model, that could work properly on a capture the flag or player destruction map?

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
To whoever made the crate tarp models enjoy your workshop split of literally every map being released in this next year

Jul 21, 2016
You can just replace the ctf/pd model with the backpacks that came with the pack.
will the backpack be on the players back properly, because the backpack isnt made for ctf gamemodes and it might not look correct, but when i start working on my map again ill check and see if it works

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
Hey, i have a few questions:

1. If we use just a few textures, who do we credit? I'm going to use a few Frontline textures on RC3 of plr_hierarch. Not enough to make Hierarch a frontline map by any means, but a few of those trims and patches are way superior to anything i have at hand right now.
2. Is it okay to alter some of the textures if we credit the Frontline team or the original artist (see 1?) I have one texture in mind that i need a variation of, specifically overlays/battlefieldgrasspatch001.