TF2Maps and Potato’s MvM Servers Present: Mappers vs Machines

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I'm glad to see how many people are excited! I've seen - both here and in chat - people express their concerns that MVM mapping is really complicated. And... well, yeah. I'm not gonna lie, MVM is difficult. But! It's not impossible. If you learned hammer, you can learn the extra bits of it (the entity logic, the nav, the popfiles) required for MVM. It's a great way to stretch and challenge yourself!

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016

Dayal

L3: Member
Feb 8, 2017
I'm glad to see how many people are excited! I've seen - both here and in chat - people express their concerns that MVM mapping is really complicated. And... well, yeah. I'm not gonna lie, MVM is difficult. But! It's not impossible. If you learned hammer, you can learn the extra bits of it (the entity logic, the nav, the popfiles) required for MVM. It's a great way to stretch and challenge yourself!

You can make it easier to understand bomb path, tank path, bomb arrows, etc. by looking at mvm_example.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
May we use existing bot templates of our own creation? I have a large number of existing templates and it'd be a pain to completely re-create a roster of custom bots or heavily rely on the stock templates.

Okay - Apparently you've already talked to Hydrogen about this, but i'll clarify the answer we discussed. Yes! You can.

Bot templates - as distinct from popfiles or waves - can be treated the same way as custom content. So yes, you can use ones you've already made, or publically released ones - but you have to have someone's permission to use ones they made that aren't publically released.

Lamiiku

L1: Registered
Apr 5, 2017
Okay - Apparently you've already talked to Hydrogen about this, but i'll clarify the answer we discussed. Yes! You can.

Bot templates - as distinct from popfiles or waves - can be treated the same way as custom content. So yes, you can use ones you've already made, or publically released ones - but you have to have someone's permission to use ones they made that aren't publically released.

Thanks for the response! This'll make things a bit easier on mission-makers, I hope :)

Star Bright

L2: Junior Member
Jan 4, 2016
First actual contest event I get to be a part of, and I'm already hella stoked about ideas.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
To clarify for those that haven't looked at the detail thread because they think they're not interested...

You can enter your final MVM hatch area into the detail contest as well, as long as it follows the rules.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
I'm pumped for this contest. Great choice of gamemode! I've been wanting to make an MvM map for a while now.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Up for collaboration, will be a experience to learn something new. If somebody wants to chat about it, cool. I'll be online approx. 7 hrs.

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Finally I have good reason to make a map for completely new MvM mode.

About the contest, I feel like pop files will cut amount of entries, they aren't easy to make by any mean

Dec 28, 2014
Great idea for a contest, I think we need more high quality MVM maps/missions out there so Valve can make some of them official and give us a new MVM update.

Nuke

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 5, 2016
Woop-woop, 3-stack collab confirmed
Time to lose again.
But this time I won't map.