TF2 Water Reflections Problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by tehmapmakah, Feb 7, 2015.

1. tehmapmakah

tehmapmakah L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello guys,
    I am almost finished with my tf2 map, but have encountered a problem and can't seem to fix it.
    I have a 3d skybox with cubemaps built, but when i look into the horizon i can see black in the distance?
    [​IMG]

2. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    I believe that's just the tint of the water. Your best bet is using another texture.

3. radarhead

aa radarhead Level 20 "Mapper"

Positive Ratings:
    Might be the water making direct contact with the skybox? You could try putting a brush with a ground texture or something at the end.

4. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Skybox water is borked in all maps. This is just how Source handles water in the distance

The only thing I'd try is using another water texture with real-time reflections. Try using water_2fort_expensive to see if that helps. It reflects everything in real-time, whereas this water is cubemapped (or static reflections). If that doesnt work simply dont make a huge open ocean. It's simple as that. Keep in mind Source is an old engine. The water shader is a VERY powerful shader but it doesn't work so well in the skybox.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    Seriously, you know almost everything about cubemaps, and on top of that, your name is actually cubemap :3

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    I know a fair bit about how Source renders stuff, yeah. But mostly BECAUSE SOURCE IS ONE OF THE FEW GAME ENGINES IN EXISTENCE THAT SUPPORT REAL-TIME REFLECTIONS. Like seriously. Even the shiny new engines use either static reflections or environment maps. But Source is like nah-ah, ima do that real-time bitches. Impressive for a 10-year-old engine.