Test Mapping

Kreg

L2: Junior Member
Jun 27, 2016
Well i could not because the I did not know that you can go higher then 9 because when i hit 10 the sever uploader so i changed it to B1 then i just kept going. So next i went to C. If you had looked at my update name, there was a pattern. A very easy pattern to follow.

That's fair that you didn't know you could go higher than 9, but I think maybe your labeling process has been too accurate. Consider changing the label after making larger changes or additions. It's mainly important that people understand the general stage that your map is in, rather than knowing the very precise changes you make.

Back to dealing with other people. I have one last video for you. I think you might find it beneficial to take an explore of this channel's content, but this is the best video I could find relating to what I perceive your situation to be.

Video

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
That's fair that you didn't know you could go higher than 9, but I think maybe your labeling process has been too accurate. Consider changing the label after making larger changes or additions. It's mainly important that people understand the general stage that your map is in, rather than knowing the very precise changes you make.

Back to dealing with other people. I have one last video for you. I think you might find it beneficial to take an explore of this channel's content, but this is the best video I could find relating to what I perceive your situation to be.

Video
Well did label. All of the changes are major updates in their own rights. and you cant update the map with the same file name.

Kreg

Jun 27, 2016
Well did label.
I don't quite understand what you meant by this.

All of the changes are major updates in their own rights.
Could you give me an example of what you feel was a large update? If you feel all of your updates have been large enough to justify a label change then consider changing after larger updates.

and you cant update the map with the same file name
I don't think that's what anyone was asking?
edit: Do you mean uploading to tf2maps? Because from your profile I don't see a page to download the map from. Or do you mean uploading to the game servers?

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015

Video
Also i just watch the video and the critic try to soften the blow of the truth about the map for example. The people did not do this due to there wording. They said, " This map is not a C1 its a A1" This can be taken in so many ways. positive and negative. Positive way is to tell you that you have might have done to little in these updates, maybe wait to release the update as it gets bigger. The negative way of seeing this is your work is so bad, its not really a C1 its a A1. As the critic they should have worded it different. For example They could have said, " I think you may have miss labble your map" or " I think you need to slow down on the number of updates" Now many would say they are doing that right in combat. Well the next time that they have died then they should have given the feedback.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
I don't quite understand what you meant by this.

Could you give me an example of what you feel was a large update? If you feel all of your updates have been large enough to justify a label change then consider changing after larger updates.

I don't think that's what anyone was asking?
edit: Do you mean uploading to tf2maps? Because from your profile I don't see a page to download the map from. Or do you mean uploading to the game servers?
I have deleted the map due to everyone saying that it was bad.

Kreg

Jun 27, 2016
Also i just watch the video and the critic try to soften the blow of the truth about the map for example. The people did not do this due to there wording. They said, " This map is not a C1 its a A1"

Well I can't determine how a person wanted you to take that and I don't think you can either, but that's not important. In any case, the point was to get you to recognize that your labeling was in-properly communicating the current state of your map. It's your choice whether or not you want to fix that, but it doesn't agree with what's commonly accepted from this community. You also have the choice of being upset over that. People can't force you do feel something.

If you really feel it's impossible to conform to how maps are commonly labeled then try using another method of labeling than what you're currently using. If you'd like a suggestion, try the letter v for "version" and then make your map go as high as you want in versions. (example: gamemode_mapname_v#)
If you want people to get completely off your case for improper labeling, then ask someone to help you find a solution.

I have deleted the map due to everyone saying that it was bad.
I encourage you to re-upload it. There are plenty of maps that people think are bad that they leave up. edit: I feel the maps I've released are "bad," but I recognized that and tried to find what I did wrong so I could improve.
Please recognize that if someone thinks you've done something "bad" it's not the end of the world. We learn from mistakes, because they make us see what we did wrong. If you just deny that you did something bad then you'll never in-take the information helping you to do something better.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Well I can't determine how a person wanted you to take that and I don't think you can either, but that's not important. In any case, the point was to get you to recognize that your labeling was in-properly communicating the current state of your map. It's your choice whether or not you want to fix that, but it doesn't agree with what's commonly accepted from this community. You also have the choice of being upset over that. People can't force you do feel something.

If you really feel it's impossible to conform to how maps are commonly labeled then try using another method of labeling than what you're currently using. If you'd like a suggestion, try the letter v for "version" and then make your map go as high as you want in versions. (example: gamemode_mapname_v#)
If you want people to get completely off your case for improper labeling, then ask someone to help you find a solution.

I encourage you to re-upload it. There are plenty of maps that people think are bad that they leave up.
Please recognize that if someone thinks you've done something "bad" it's not the end of the world. We learn from mistakes, because they make us see what we did wrong. If you just deny that you did something bad then you'll never in-take the information helping you to do something better.
I can not reupload them due to me deleteing the file themselves so I know that they were bad. So I won't make that map again.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Well alright then. I'm sad you feel that way, but I hope that this topic helped you somehow. I also look forward to what you do next.
Yeah.

Right now I am brain dead for ideas for maps. One day I will get an idea for a map.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
For the record, a staff member can restore your deleted maps if you want. Just say the word.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Sure, I would like that.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Unless you have a better project in mind, I would recommend against abandoning Whitejack. It's your best map so far and has plenty of potential. You, as a mapper, have plenty of potential.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Unless you have a better project in mind, I would recommend against abandoning Whitejack. It's your best map so far and has plenty of potential. You, as a mapper, have plenty of potential.
Thank you very much. It's great to hear that :) The staff is trying to get the maps back.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
It's okay. What was that program that let you unpack maps into editing form for Hammer?

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Do you know up to date how to use for BSPSource?

I'm sorry, I do not. However, you should be able to visit the Valve Developer Wiki page for it (which I linked in the post) and follow the steps there!