Test Mapping

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
I think you should do your best to be less sensitive. Remember that map feedback is not a personal attack on you. Comments about game performance are never meant to be taken seriously or personally.

TF2Maps is probably one of the most accepting communities on the entire internet. We want you to succeed! Believe in yourself, and don't listen to the haters. Especially if the hater happens to be yourself.
I dont mind the feedback. I have put the feedback into my maps but its how people say the feedback and it sounds like that its a personal attack.

Flipy

I like foxes
aa
Jul 20, 2016
I dont mind the feedback. I have put the feedback into my maps but its how people say the feedback and it sounds like that its a personal attack.

it isnt

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
I like the lamb sauce is all I can say. But let's keep it on topic.
Okay lets not have this topic become raw. I am just trying to stay safe on tf2.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
It sure sounded like it. It sounded to me.

It probably does sound like it. But it isn't, it's just that people are in the middle of a game when they give feedback.

TF2Maps is probably one of the most accepting communities on the entire internet

This is very, very true! There's no need to worry about how people on TF2Maps give feedback.

Flipy

I like foxes
aa
Jul 20, 2016
It sure sounded like it. It sounded to me.

Its up to you to separate your feelings from the criticism and look at it objectively

I'm still relatively new to the community (6 months - year) but I've been around these people enough and played enough imps to know that people don't use feedback as a way to attack or insult the mapper, in fact you get in trouble if your feedback does that or doesn't provide anything constructive. People just point out the flaws and see what can be made better.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Its up to you to separate your feelings from the criticism and look at it objectively

I'm still relatively new to the community (6 months - year) but I've been around these people enough and played enough imps to know that people don't use feedback as a way to attack or insult the mapper, in fact you get in trouble if your feedback does that or doesn't provide anything constructive. People just point out the flaws and see what can be made better.
Then i dont know who you have been playing with. When i play test my map it felt like they were insult. For example I had over 14 updates on that map and they said that it should be a1. That sounded like a attack to me due to not being good as Crash.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
When i play test my map it felt like they were insult.

It probably does sound like it. But it isn't, it's just that people are in the middle of a game when they give feedback.

Everyone here wants you to succeed as a mapper. If that means giving some tough criticism, tough criticism will happen.

The truth is, it takes years to become as good as Crash at mapping. It's difficult every step of the way.

May 27, 2017
Then i dont know who you have been playing with. When i play test my map it felt like they were insult. For example I had over 14 updates on that map and they said that it should be a1. That sounded like a attack to me due to not being good as Crash.

That's because they think it is not ready, if mappers in that game were even saying this then there is some changes that need to be made before moving into beta. Riverside for instance took about a month or two of testing before it was ready for beta, it's just how it works. You keep plugging away at gameplay until it's polished, shiny and ready for details.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
From what I understand, they said that because you're not versioning your maps the same way as everyone else. Alpha (denoted by a1, a2, etc.) typically means you're still working on the layout, and aren't worried about making it look good yet. Beta (b1, b2, etc.) means the layout is more or less finished and you've moved on to detailing. After that, Release Candidate (rc) tells everyone that you're pretty much done with the map. You can have as many numbers in each version as you need, not just 1-9.

You can version however you want, but I would advise sticking to this system so that people can easily tell how far along in development you are.

Flipy

I like foxes
aa
Jul 20, 2016

Lets break this into pieces

When i play test my map it felt like they were insult.

If you really feel like its an insult, ignore it. You're allowed to ignore criticisms, its your map.
But ill reiterate its very rare anyone insults via feedback, if they really are let someone in power know about it

For example I had over 14 updates on that map and they said that it should be a1

This is an example of feedback you ignore, it adds nothing of value. Everyone maps at their own pace

That sounded like a attack to me due to not being good as Crash.

Majority of the people who make and submit maps are nowhere near as good as the more experienced mappers who have been doing this for a long time.
And unless the person explicitly said "your map isn't as good as that UEAK Crash guy's maps" then this is all in your head and you've got to stop doing that.

Look at the feedback and ask yourself, "does this provide me with any useful information".
If it does, consider how it helps your map and maybe try implementing
If it does not and you instead see a 'personal attack' Ignore it.

And that's what this whole thread is coming down to, you need to learn how to just ignore the haters
Yes it can be hard, but you're going to run into them all over the world and sometimes you won't have moderators to come in and help you. We cannot magically help you start ignoring them, but there are too many people on this earth to stop all of them for you and you are going to have to learn to ignore them, like it or not, there is no way around this.

Hipster_Duck

L2: Junior Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ever heard the phrase "You learn more from a loss than a win"?

Yeah well, it applies to lots of things,

In mapping if you make a flawless map on your first try, you are going to get no feedback and you're not going to learn much from it, look at people who make maps you like now and see their first maps.

If you lose a game, you learn what you should do in that situation next time.

Also, about the joining spectator thing: That teaches you nothing, you are neither winning nor losing no matter what the scoreboard says. You've got to learn to take an L and move on, if you were losing a soccer match in real life you can't join spectate and join the winning team.

As for people yelling at you for missing kills and what not, the demo's of all the maps are here https://feedback.tf2maps.net/ , find instances of this and report them to staff if its bothering you.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
That's because they think it is not ready, if mappers in that game were even saying this then there is some changes that need to be made before moving into beta. Riverside for instance took about a month or two of testing before it was ready for beta, it's just how it works. You keep plugging away at gameplay until it's polished, shiny and ready for details.
But saying that my map sucks after 14 updates and sayng should be a1. That sounds like a personal attack due to them basely saying. Wow you up this many updates into but it still sucks, that means you suck.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
From what I understand, they said that because you're not versioning your maps the same way as everyone else. Alpha (denoted by a1, a2, etc.) typically means you're still working on the layout, and aren't worried about making it look good yet. Beta (b1, b2, etc.) means the layout is more or less finished and you've moved on to detailing. After that, Release Candidate (rc) tells everyone that you're pretty much done with the map. You can have as many numbers in each version as you need, not just 1-9.

You can version however you want, but I would advise sticking to this system so that people can easily tell how far along in development you are.
When i try to did hit a10 the the sever upload stop working so i thaught you could not do anything past 9 so i just went to B and after that i just kept numbering after B then to C

May 27, 2017
But saying that my map sucks after 14 updates and sayng should be a1. That sounds like a personal attack due to them basely saying. Wow you up this many updates into but it still sucks, that means you suck.

No, not it doesn't mean you suck, it means you need to improve. You seem to take things to heart when it shouldn't. A personal attack would be along the lines of "You should really give up mapping, it's really bad and you keep failing after so many updates" Which, by the way, nobody has said because they would be out in an instant. The number of updates doesn't mean it improves, the way you improved the map in these updates does.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
No, not it doesn't mean you suck, it means you need to improve. You seem to take things to heart when it shouldn't. A personal attack would be along the lines of "You should really give up mapping, it's really bad and you keep failing after so many updates" Which, by the way, nobody has said because they would be out in an instant. The number of updates doesn't mean it improves, the way you improved the map in these updates does.
And i had many big improvements in those updates. I had a full page of changelog. If you dont take it to heart then you wont improve in mapping. If you take it then you can learn from it, so they wont keep saying it.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Lets break this into pieces

If you really feel like its an insult, ignore it. You're allowed to ignore criticisms, its your map.
But ill reiterate its very rare anyone insults via feedback, if they really are let someone in power know about it

This is an example of feedback you ignore, it adds nothing of value. Everyone maps at their own pace

Majority of the people who make and submit maps are nowhere near as good as the more experienced mappers who have been doing this for a long time.
And unless the person explicitly said "your map isn't as good as that UEAK Crash guy's maps" then this is all in your head and you've got to stop doing that.

Look at the feedback and ask yourself, "does this provide me with any useful information".
If it does, consider how it helps your map and maybe try implementing
If it does not and you instead see a 'personal attack' Ignore it.

And that's what this whole thread is coming down to, you need to learn how to just ignore the haters
Yes it can be hard, but you're going to run into them all over the world and sometimes you won't have moderators to come in and help you. We cannot magically help you start ignoring them, but there are too many people on this earth to stop all of them for you and you are going to have to learn to ignore them, like it or not, there is no way around this.
To be honest i would like to punch all of them in the face. It would make me happy and then they would stop.

May 27, 2017
And i had many big improvements in those updates. I had a full page of changelog. If you dont take it to heart then you wont improve in mapping. If you take it then you can learn from it, so they wont keep saying it.

You've taken it to heart to the point where you're getting upset and think the feedback is a personal insult, that is too far taken. That's all I can really say,

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
To be honest i would like to punch all of them in the face. It would make me happy and then they would stop.
Jesus christ

I recommend taking about 30 minutes to look back through this thread - namely all the replies - and actually look into it all, rather than immediately blowing it all off. Don't even reply to this post, just calm down and take some time to really think about what you're saying, and what we're saying.