Suijin

ARENA Suijin RC2

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I probably will make a koth version, it's been highly requested...I'm not doing it however until arena is in at least late beta. I imagine I will have to make drastic changes to make it koth and I'm not going to have to parallel maps running that I have to port changes across.

ANYWAYS.

A7 released.

a7:
Swapped the small health in the cliff building with the medium health.
Nobuilded rooves due to popular opinion.
Players are blocked from leaving spawn until round start.
More detailing.
Remade the cliffside building.
Added medium ammo to the underside of bridge rather than a small.

The cliffside building has been totally redone, hopefully to be more interesting and also to cater to the medium healthpack, which has been swapped in.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Here, this will tease you for the ~Christmas release~ of a8 tomorrow.

2013-12-24_00009.jpg

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Good news everyone.

Suijin now officially, for only Suijin himself knows, has the weirdest crash bug I've ever seen.

It doesn't simply crash tf2 on load. No, it only crashes when you load the map the second time in the same client uptime, for example, building both ldr and hdr cubemaps.

The first time you play the map it's fine, but unloading the map crashes tf2.

Oh, did I mention that this bug *doesn't* occur when you load a valve map (tested with badlands) first? Then suijin second, and you can reload it and mapswitch all you want.

I've spent so many hours tonight compiling, with combinations of particles, props...no pattern that I can see.

And now, as I'm typing this, using the same BSP and the same order of commands, it's decided to not enact this bug at all.

sourceengine.jpg

But, considering I can't track this down, have a8..

Can not guarantee that it won't crash servers, or clients. Can't guarantee it will either. I honestly have no idea.

Changelog as follows:

a8 桜 edition:

Made the platform out the back of the cliffside building a little bigger.
More caustics.
Brightened the cliffside building.
Brightened the area under the waterfall.
さくら
Unclipped the far stone pillar, I see no reason why it should be clipped as getting out there is putting you at a disadvantage and consistency is better than

clipping.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I was doing some entity testing yesterday and kept running into strange crashes when loading the map after the first time, and that wasn't even the same bsp (load map, check entities, compile changes, load and crash). So it may not even be your map and instead valve just goobered something up.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
It doesn't simply crash tf2 on load. No, it only crashes when you load the map the second time in the same client uptime, for example, building both ldr and hdr cubemaps.

Great, you unleashed this bug onto the world.

Now I'm getting it on the map I just decided to work on.

(I'm inclined to think valve screwed something up as Boojum said)

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
gorgeous

just, wow

I love those tree models

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
also, are those custom petal particles that are coming down from the trees?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
It's su-e-jin, no emphasis on any syllable.

Means "water person," so I'm guessing it's probably a mythology thing.

Also, I had a walk through on the map, and I have to say this is going to be absolutely gorgeous when it's done.

Ptimz

L2: Junior Member
May 8, 2011
Three syllables.
Su like sue.
i like wii.
Jin like jeans.
No emphasis anywhere.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
jin like jeans

wat

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
Unless someone here is Japanese I'm just gonna pronounce it in whatever way comes most naturally.

Penguin said give the map more health, I'd be OK with adding more to the parts of the map surrounding the pagoda. What Harribo said also rings true in that the bridge under the bridge is quite dangerous for just a small healthpack.

I noticed that a lot more attention has shifted to the chasm-side building, which is cool.

I still feel that room that used to have the gigantic bloody pillar in it is blocking visibility too much, maybe rotate the wall in that room 90°.

I think you should disconnect the roof over the bridge from the pagoda and witch-head-building, it looks pretty weird the way it's connected and seeing entire teams up on the roof is making me think it's a little too good a place to be. I'd still make the gap jumpable though.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Whilst it may be able to get away with more health, I'm pretty confident that once you learn their locations, the health placement is quite good. It directs the flow of the combat quite nicely in my mapper's opinion, and seems to do a good job of not making the roofs terribly strong.

As for the bridge, it'll look better when it's finished.

I'm probably going to finish detailing this and move it to beta now. The layout has barely changed for quite a while, save the cliff building (which has vastly improved the gameplay imo).

a8 is a very solid version, so don't expect another update for a while, and beta 1 will probably release alongside a content pack.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Penguin said give the map more health,

to be fair, I say a lot of whatever comes to my mind and it's best to just smile and nod.

I also suggested putting health in the water and having it move downstream for *dynamic health placement*

OH BUT ACTUALLY there needs to be a way to get out of the water without jumping.

Last edited: