Strata

TC Strata (version 538) b1c

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The normal map or whatever effect you've got going on there (SS?) is craaaazy out of control. It reminds me of when you hit the hydro texture with lighting from a certain angle and it looks incredibly fake like someones painted a giant protrusion onto a flat surface, only all the time. If you can fix that it'll be sexy as all hell to me (which is what matters).

I think Languid's exactly right. I mean look at these areas:

http://i.imgur.com/XSLvL.png This looks weird in every shot you've got, it just doesn't look real from any angle.

http://i.imgur.com/x6zfH.png When you take in the entire panorama, it just kind of falls apart.

Might be the lighting, or the viewpoint... I don't know. Obviously players won't be at eye level like these shots are.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
FWIW i disagree and think the normal maps add to it positively

It's not the ssbump that's the problem, it's the lack of it in those areas.

The guys are absolutely right, and it's the same reaction I had the first time I compiled it, it looks like a bent sheet of paper with rocks in front of it.

I've already spoken to Rexy and we both agree it would be better if the detail from lower down in the texture is carried on to the top: it's on his to-do list.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Release! tc_strata_a15

Here are some pictures:

tc_strata_a150016.png

tc_strata_a150006.png

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
You know what it makes me think of? It looks almost like the smaller rock formations are trying to camouflage themselves. Or like that scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade with the bridge painted to look like the stuff behind it.

goddamn this is a great explanation i wish i was this literate/ "down with the kids"

combat619

L1: Registered
Aug 30, 2011
Cool map, looks like it will be going into beta soon. Also bumped because it is a great map and deserves front page status.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm sure the map will eventually get featured but lets wait until YM hits beta. Whilst we're one of the few communities who openly test from alpha and that there are no specific rules which say DEV textures can't be seen in featured maps, the featured maps tend to be mid to late beta in order to promote our server rotation and attract players who may otherwise rather not play alpha maps which so frequently get seen during our events. By featuring balanced and relatively beautified maps we can promote our results more efficiently to people checking our community out.

Also i have a tendency to be rather presumptuous but i imagine YM would rather wait until he has the final stages complete before we highlight his map. If you highlight a map too early it kinda spoils the hype and I have a feeling YM has saved the best for last.

Last edited:

combat619

Aug 30, 2011
I'm sure the map will eventually get featured but lets wait until YM hits beta. Whilst we're one of the few communities who openly test from alpha and that there are no specific rules which say DEV textures can't be seen in featured maps, the featured maps tend to be mid to late beta in order to promote our server rotation and attract players who may otherwise rather not play alpha maps which so frequently get seen during our events.

Also i have a tendency to be rather presumptuous but i imagine YM would rather wait until he has the final stages complete before we highlight his map. If you highlight a map too early it kinda spoils the hype.

I meant the first page of the map forums, not featured (my bad).

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
i might be just dum but i never get an actual sense of progression in TC. it feels like playing random ass rounds and then the final round out of nowhere. i kinda get the same feel in hydro tho so its not maps fault really

Then don't skip through the blackboard screen.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
As the map draws to completion I can squeeze more onto that to make it clear which areas are which.

ie: a proper overview and larger pictures

mariofan38

Nov 14, 2011
So RED has an indoor base and BLU has an outdoor base?

Edit: I see now.

Edit2: Interesting way to do the base caps. I like it.

Edit3: Derp, I'm an idiot. Somehow, I never noticed that that is how Hydro does it as well.

Last edited:

Schrikvis

Aug 3, 2011
Great map!
The bots work just fine, but;

- They sometimes run past the opposing team, not noticing they missed them, they'll run straight for the cp causing both teams to cap both points. This is how pub players generally behave, so this may be an issue.
- There's not much time for engies to build their bases, which is either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what side you're on.

Oh well. It's a fun map that's doing something new while enabling people like me to train with bots.

AND I LOVE THE LOCKUP-THING.
Single-sided attack is an amazing concept!

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I've never noticed engineers having a particularly hard time. Usually both teams keep each other occupied long enough in the corridors for the engineer to get a level 3 sentry and a dispenser.

In fact i've noticed the gameplay is such that engineers don't spend excessive amounts of time out of combat which i think is an improvement.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Remind me, did I push the version with 15 seconds of setup time live yet?

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
Remind me, did I push the version with 15 seconds of setup time live yet?

played _a15 tonight and that's a no, also the map ended at the end of a miniround i.e. the capture of one area rather than red or blue;s last dinosuar points when we hit the end of the map's server time if you know what I mean