Strata

TC Strata (version 538) b1c

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Make it so they need to be on the cap for a large fraction of a second so running over it isn't as good.

Also, if someone can spend time screwing around running over the cap, the other team probably wasn't gonna win anyway.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Ok Grazr's idea is a go.

Dinosaurs:

dead-dino-2.JPG

dead-dino.JPG

EDIT:

Upon testing it out, it's very hard to quickly rack up broken caps, because it takes longer for the cap to decay than it does to cap, even touching it for a small amount of time leads to you waiting for the decay. In which time you either have to run off and chance an encounter with the other team or stay put and chance an encounter with the other team coming to kill you.

So it is less greifable than sergis makes it sound (A highly caffeinated and ridiculously twitch skilled scout may be able to do it better but each broken cap takes 2 seconds)

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
/cranks the handle of time

A new version appears!

Massively reworked some of the tight corridor routes, widened almost all of the others, new materials, new props, new dinosaurs, new dogbread.

Download

tc_strata_a12_1.jpg

tc_strata_a12_2.jpg

tc_strata_a12_3.jpg

tc_strata_a12_4.jpg

And finally the overview:
tc_strata_a12_overview.jpg

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
First time i saw BLU's final area and it was a lot more fun to defend than RED's. But i would say that the final points almost always seem to be captured by attackers, easily, within the time limit. Defenders just don't seem to have any fall back position or decent sentry locations.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Where are the rocks?

I blame Rexy.

hQDYb.jpg

I quit, deleted the map and they appeared.

Last edited by a moderator:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
No, that was a13, from the Cafe test. Why would I download an old version that you immediately said was broken?

Last edited by a moderator:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well that's what I thought, but they are corrupted in a12 and work in a13

Did anyone else report them broken or just you?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
So far as I know just me, but it happened with the Zig rocks to someone else a while ago. Rexy knows about both, so hopefully he has an idea.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Weirdly it seems to be a larger issue with custom rocks by the look of it. There was one person in a test we ran yesterday (on a different map) complaining of invisible rocks when everyone else could see them just fine, and they were rocks that were made by VFIG, not rexy.

By the way Y_M we should be testing this on Friday remind me to give you the demo in the playstuff thread. ;)

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Weirdly it seems to be a larger issue with custom rocks by the look of it. There was one person in a test we ran yesterday (on a different map) complaining of invisible rocks when everyone else could see them just fine, and they were rocks that were made by VFIG, not rexy.

I suspect it's something we can't do anything about--and my reasoning is because this seems to be a very recent problem, only happening in the last month or so. Something about packed materials in the .bsp and how they're being handled somewhere by the engine. This is only me talking from what I've seen, I don't know specifically why or what, and I don't have the technical knowledge for that either. And those rocks that vfig made have been around for a few years--and I don't recall this problem before, so blaming the models or the textures for the problem doesn't make any sense.

Regardless, the problem can always be solved by quitting, deleting the map, and downloading the map again. This seems to fix everyone's issue when this happens. Not sure why, but it works.

Last edited:

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
the other day i loaded up an old map of mine only to have a tree model not render till i reloaded the map - it may be something to do with the number of models and/or custom models that have to be loaded on the map perhaps causing a few to be skipped rarely (the map in question has an absurd number of custom models/textures pakked into it). - just hypothesis really, as i'm not concrete on the way that assets are loaded to memory by the source engine.
Since assets are retained in memory when you leave a map, this means reloading the map requires it to load fewer assets to memory, allowing it to catch the ones that may have got missed.

i guess the question is whether the problem gets fixed if you reload the map

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
strata_tracks_2.jpg

strata_airstrip_1.JPG

This is what I've been doing this week. I forgot my instances folder so I can't do any testing for weeks, so I've just gotta keep chugging away at those details.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I can't help but feel that the building that you recently turned from red brick to blue could use the metal/wall012 texture as it's roof material rather than the red one you're using now.

The gutter also has a secondary blue skin, but that might be a little too much blue. That said, i never really did like the gutter models. They're so chunky compared to the corrugated metal roofs they just look weird unless used at a distance (like in the out of bounds areas).

Sep 12, 2008
Damn youme, that's some mighty fine detailing! Can I suggest putting some more shrubs and dirt/rubble stuff on the sandy floor? It could help break the flatness a little since there aren't any detailsprites.. Just an idea :p

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Damn youme, that's some mighty fine detailing! Can I suggest putting some more shrubs and dirt/rubble stuff on the sandy floor? It could help break the flatness a little since there aren't any detailsprites.. Just an idea :p

Not even touched the sand yet, since it will all be displaced at once at a later date it would be pointless taking the time to position props carefully on it.

Yes grazr ever since I swapped out the brick last night the roof and gutter have been irking me, they're top of my tweak list.

Birthday today so I'll either do it tonight or tomorrow. :) 20