Strata

TC Strata (version 538) b1c

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
It is decided. Pipeline got the most votes so Piepline it is!

whatever.gif

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
LESS RED!

tc_strata_a110012.jpg

Also coming up: more metal around points, longer respawn times (keeping the advantage when capping) and longer cap times.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
You aren't seriously doing pipeline are you? D:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Update!

Alpha 11 released 27/02/11
* Blocked off an area two wrangled sentries can dominate from.
* Added dynamic capture point signs around each point.
* Increased capture time (capture points cap more slowly).
* Increased default respawn time.
* Increased health and ammo pickups around each point.
* Revised Blu's final point.
* Introduced more shadowing lighting.

tc_strata_a11_overview.png

tc_strata_a11_blu.png

tc_strata_a11_airstrip.png

tc_strata_a11_Tracks.png

tc_strata_a11_Minehead.png

tc_strata_a11_Swamp.png

tc_strata_a11_red.png

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Can't say I'm a fan of those cliff textures. Maybe you could tone the normal map down just a tad as it looks a bit noisy to my eyes.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Since inevitably players on the high ground end up shooting at those on the low ground, particularly at control/capture points, i never understood why people feel the need to put fences up in the play area on high ledges. They get in the way of both firing lines and cause otherwise safe falls to cause fall damage as players have to further jump up and over them. If you want to put safety rails up look at those used in well CP1, but ultimately i think they just get in the way.

That said the map does play more comfortably than hydro in terms of players being able to access the areas beyond each choke.

didn't you say you had spawn wave modifiers in place for when the capture points were in the process of being captured?

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Since inevitably players on the high ground end up shooting at those on the low ground, particularly at control/capture points, i never understood why people feel the need to put fences up in the play area on high ledges. They get in the way of both firing lines and cause otherwise safe falls to cause fall damage as players have to further jump up and over them. If you want to put safety rails up look at those used in well CP1, but ultimately i think they just get in the way.

That said the map does play more comfortably than hydro in terms of players being able to access the areas beyond each choke.

didn't you say you had spawn wave modifiers in place for when the capture points were in the process of being captured?

If this was a real place, there would be railings, so there are railings. They're nonsolid below the very top bar so you can still shoot through them and SGs will still work behind them. I don't like rails you can run straight over, what's the point.

Yes this, like hydro, has a spawn time modifier when teams are capping a point.

Can't say I'm a fan of those cliff textures. Maybe you could tone the normal map down just a tad as it looks a bit noisy to my eyes.

Head over to the WIP in WIP thread , Rexy posted some environment tests

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
OK hefty request time. I'd like you to describe how much each of these 12 paths feel like corridors.

I'd like you to rate each that you know well enough from 0-10 with 10 being "Feels like I'm crawling down a vent, there's a headcrab up ahead right?". As well as providing a description if you can (Please do, even if it's short).

I'll even give you a handy table to copy/paste.

Path|Rank|Description
1(the number on the image)|0-10|words
2|0-10|words
3|0-10|words

Copy and paste this for each image, then add
tags around it:
Path|Rank|Description
1|0-10|words
2|0-10|words
3|0-10|words

Here are the rounds:
Swamp-Airstrip:
strata_swamp-airstrip.jpg

Mine-Swamp:
strata_mine-swamp.jpg

Mine-Tracks:
strata_mine-tracks.jpg

Tracks-Airstip:
strata_tracks-airstrip.jpg

Mine-Airstrip:
strata_mine-airstrip.jpg
Please don't talk about RED and BLU since all points can be owned by both teams!
Please also only rank and comment on a route if you know which route it is! Don't make up your mind from the top-down.

(also jfyi I just went and expanded a lot of them slightly, this is using the previous top-down though)

Thank you.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I almost always play Heavy on Strata, so that's where this comes from.

Swamp/Airstrip
1|3|I tend to use this. The easiest.
2|6|Very confined, but also very quick. Probably not a big deal.
3|8|Feels like it exists for explosive spam to inhabit.

Mine/Swamp
1|7|Really cramped and more annoying than the tunnel previously discussed.
2|4|The indoors bits are the best parts of this transition.
3|4|They feel fine.

Mine/Tracks
1|7|I hate this path so much.
2|5|Great, except for the super tight bottlenecks on both ends.

Tracks/Airstrip
1|4|These are my favorite connections. Alternating roomy and tight, plenty of flanking, excellent movement.
2|4|They're just really fun. I wish I could play this over and over.

Mine/Airstip
1|6|Another tight tunnel where grenades always kill me no matter what.
2|4|Love this path.

I think that's everything.

Also, I really love your ground texture, but the cliffs are too detailed. Not sure why Rexy told me to give it a rest today, as though I said it more than twice 15 minutes apart or like I was the only one saying it. I heavily recommend you remove some of the detail on them.

Or maybe it looks fine displaced, who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Noo that's not how I meant :( I mean't like this:

Swamp-airstrip:
Path|Rank|Description
1(number on image)|rank|text
2|rank|text
2|rank|text

Mine-Swamp:
Path|Rank|Description
1|rank|text
2|rank|text
3/rank|text

ect for each stage.

Also, as I said earlier rexy has already made (and posted in WIP in WIP thread) new materials, they're just not in use yet.

Last edited:

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
Swamp-Airstrip
Point|Rank|Description
1|3|This route feels to me like it really belongs in the map, I enjoyed using it, and the dropdown makes it a bit more interesting.
2|5|this route doesn't see a lot of action (from my experience), but it doesn't feel unnecessary at all or anything.
3|7(?)|This route felt pretty tight, but it was still sort of fun, since 1 and 2 got the most attention usually.

I'll have to do the rest later, but I really hate mine - tracks 1, and I love tracks-airstrip 1

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I didn't see Moose's post before I edited mine. Interesting how we pretty much agree almost exactly.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
General feedback.

Tracks-Airstrip:
I always end up defending on both sides of this round, so you could say this is the most successful of your connector setups (in terms of not stale mating) as pressure is always pretty high. Only thing i would say is that attacking from the top to the bottom (airstrip>tracks), i had no idea route 2 was even there. I would deffinately say the advantage went to the bottom base as there are more attacking possibilities and height advantages for the track defenders.

One thing that is confusing for the airstrip defenders is that the bottom left corner, where the paths for tracks, mine and swamp areas are close, it's hard to tell which paths are in affect for that round. Sometimes i'd think we were defending the mine when we were defending from the tracks, or defending the mine when a heavy medic pair suddenly jump from the far cliff top on the left where the swamp is. Probably a result of the fact that the access doors that activate and deactive per round arn't visible and the only way to really understand where the attack is coming from is to properly analyse the blackboard (which more often than not, gets ignored).

The swamp is very hard to defend against the mine. I put this mostly down to the fact that the capture area is visible from an early point when attacking from the mine, whilst attackers from the swamp are stuck within structures and with limited sight of the objective. Attackers from the swamp also have to expose their flank to both alternate paths when attacking through tunnel 1 and still come out with a height disadvantage.

For the most part the "corridor" syndrome is pretty hard to avoid for a tc setup given the limited amount of space and often long linear routes required to get a section of one area to join another. Mostly i didn't feel that any of the paths were too cramped/corridor-y as many of the routes were fairly short, and those that weren't had a reasonable amount of space still.

mine-tracks route 2 was a popular one and i felt lead to a lot of head to head combat which would have lead to people thinking they needed more space to flank.

mine-tracks tunnel 1 was annoying to attack through as you were easily flanked within the tunnel when attacking from the tracks, you couldn't turtle in the tunnel and then push out like most other connectors.

swamp-airstraip
path|rank
1|3
2|3
3|3

mine-swamp
path|rank
1|5
2|4
3|3

mine-tracks
path|rank
1|5
2|6

tracks-airstrip
path|rank
1|5
2|-

mine-airstrip
path|rank
1|4
2|4
(attacking from the mine down route one comes out into a bottle neck, it feels more like a corridor as attackers from the mine than vice versa).

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
swamp-airstrip
most of the time I've attacked from the swamp, I can't really remember otherwise, so I'm guessing I was defending when at the airstrip.
Path|Rank|Description
1|3|I primarily use this because height is good, and if I run into heavy resistance I have the option to drop down and arrive at the point anyway. This might be something of an imbalance since the hole is on the swamp side.
2|?|I think I've tried to attack through this route maybe a whole two times, I don't recognize the right end of it so I doubt I ever got all the way though.
3|8|not a lot of space to dodge along with tight corners. Any encounters here tended to be face-to-face DPS contests.

mine-swamp
When spawning at the mine, I'd like a sign on the right side closer than the far cliff wall, perhaps on the little shack. It always feels like I've wasted a bunch of time when I don't realize what pairing it is and run down the right side when all the exits are on the left.
Path|Rank|Description
1|3|I know I've used this because it is the best route to take after going the "wrong" way as mentioned above, but can't say I've had many fights there. Probably because it is the farthest one out and everyone takes the other two. It's very corridor-y, but I don't think it matters because few use it.
2|?|don't recognize having been here
3|?|ditto

mine-tracks
Path|Rank|Description
1|5|I don't recall having many battles when taking this route, perhaps because the other is so inviting
2|2|it's got nice options to move and hide and out-flank opponents, and has a height advantage when coming out at either end

tracks-airstrip
Path|Rank|Description
1|2|this has a nice big room in the middle for fighting.
2|?|never seen the middle of this path, I guess I mostly defended, looks nice and open though

mine-airstrip
Path|Rank|Description
1|?|haven't used this much
2|3|again, the nice big garage room. slightly longer tunnel on the mine side but due to the split it is almost as good as the other route that shares the garage