Strata

TC Strata (version 538) b1c

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
It was never a serious entry.

ontopic: I thought that the TC game logic automatically alters spawntimes to help the winning team cap?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I thought that the TC game logic automatically alters spawntimes to help the winning team cap?

No Hydro's (fixed? or supposed) stuff decreases both teams' respawn timers based on time left till the end of the round, so with just 2 minutes left the respawn times are 3 seconds (3-6 in reality) but I'm setting up a system that will give the team who currently has players in the other's side of the map a 2 second advantage.

You know how frustrating it is when your team has the middle bit completely locked down and just can't push onto the cap itself? This should combat that.

Since usually one team is in control of all of the routes, they often have players in the opponent's arena and the opponent can't even get halfway through the mid routes. Clearly one team is doing better than the other here, and if they keep it up, they get a spawn time advantage. Though if the other team break through the spawn advantage will reset to even.

Citizen Snips

L3: Member
Apr 8, 2010
So wait, he started making a TC the same time the contest started, but he's not entering it?

Why not?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
So wait, he started making a TC the same time the contest started, but he's not entering it?

Why not?

You know it's not generally considered polite to talk about someone in the third person whilst they're there.

I don't want to confine myself to the rules of the contest, most notably the no collaboration rule. I don't want to compromise by not asking Rexy to help with some models

McNuggetFiend

Jun 22, 2009
I'm interested in seeing where this leads. Now back to the mapping cave with you, YM. *sound of cracking whip*

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I don't want to confine myself to the rules of the contest, most notably the no collaboration rule. I don't want to compromise by not asking Rexy to help with some models

Oh I see what you did there. And I like it.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Still amazes me that people ask permission before running tests. Please! Go right ahead, I'd love all the feedback that can be given. :)

Citizen Snips

Apr 8, 2010
Oh well.

Maybe Valve will take a look at it even without it winning the contest; they do always seem to take a liking to your maps.

And the more custom maps in the game and the less hats, the better.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Still amazes me that people ask permission before running tests. Please! Go right ahead, I'd love all the feedback that can be given. :)

Was really more in case you had any big changes planned in the next couple of days that would invalidate any knowledge gained from testing. ;)

I'll let you know when it's going to be once it's organised, in case you fancy joining in.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Updated to _a8.

Added the final stages along with place-holder dino skeletons :D

tc_strata_a8_red.jpg

tc_strata_a8_blu.jpg

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
BLU better have some placeholder shell fossils, too :O

EDIT: it does not and I am disappoint. I'm not too keen on BLU's last, it doesn't exactly feel like a grand last push, just more like a non-final point of an A/D map. Meh, we'll see how it plays.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
BLU better have some placeholder shell fossils, too :O

EDIT: it does not and I am disappoint. I'm not too keen on BLU's last, it doesn't exactly feel like a grand last push, just more like a non-final point of an A/D map. Meh, we'll see how it plays.

I tend to agree that it doesn't feel like a final point but the grandness can come out in the detailing stage, I can work wonders with the currently bland inside.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Both Red's final spawn doors open for me on blu, though the visualiser prevents me actually getting in.

There's no supply cabinet downstairs in the final redspawn, which seems odd, but whatever.

You need to jump to get up the backs of the dinosaurs, which is sad. Running on the backs of the dinosaurs is fun, and shouldnt be made more tricky, i think.

Whilst i agree that detailing will make it or break it, Blu's final point is kind of a dissapointment after seeing red's. It feels kinda random and arbitrary, in some random corridor to the REAL point. Like you left a Capture Point in a spare corridor and forgot to delete it. Detailing will help, but it still seems distinctly anticlimatic.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Gotta make a few more tweaks before this can be tested, oops. There will be an _a9 out later in an hour or so.