Strata

TC Strata (version 538) b1c

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
_a9 is up now, fixed the doors opening for both teams in the final rounds, added health and ammo packs to final rounds and added a balcony for Blu. If you didn't DL _a8 though, you can just ignore that and have "added final rounds" as the 'new' stuff. :p

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Multiple spawns throughout the map have bad spawn to spawn exit ratios. In most cases, the spawnpoints are close to one door, and very far from the other door. This causes fewer people to go out the other door. Plus I found that, at least in one case, the door that was closer was the better door to use to defend the point - you could see the control point from the spawn door, so you got to defend immediately, compared to going through the other door and having a wall in your way.

My suggestion would be to either switch the location of the spawnpoints so that they are closer to the door that doesn't give a direct line of sight to the point, to change the location of the spawnpoints so that they are about the same distance from each door, or to change the direction some doors are facing so that one door isn't far superior than the other.

Just a nitpick.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007

Dealt with (mostly)

Ramblings on my blog (link in sig)

Upcoming plesiosaur from blu's final point!

Strata_plesiosaur_2d.jpg

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I think in some cases the paths with more arrows pointing at them were harder to use. I don't know if this is on purpose or what and I can't even remember what team I was on when I felt like that, or what rounds we were in. (One thing I feel like TC in general would benefit from is more prominently named areas.)

I like that Blu is getting a dinosaur and I like the redone Blu final point, that's a welcome change. It was a nightmare to defend.

...Red's was too, though.

Jimmy Nicholls

L2: Junior Member
Feb 15, 2011
Be good to see a TC map done properly. Hydro always ended in stalemate, but weirdly the last point was impossible to defend. Good luck with it

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
The one thing that strata is currently missing: and i'm ready to admit i'm picking on something entirely useless and probably detail-only, is landmarks. Think of hydro. I can say "Dish" or "generator" and you can picture the points. I can say generator-bridge and you think "tunnel", i say dam-bridge and you think of that cool road, i say dish-dam and you die a little inside.

While this'll probably be fixed sooner or later, right now, strata's points tend to feel a little samey. One is a station, the other one has that tall prop over it... the other one is like the tall-prop-one without the tall prop, and i had to check the picture to see if there was anything about the other one i could mention. Even just putting a sattelite dish or laser gun next to the other two, as placeholders, i'd feel better about placing myself, where i'm expected to go, etc.

Also, darker glass please.

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
I think this is an understandable thing since its in alpha and all. I'm sure YM will put some landmarks in when he gets round to detailing!

If he doesnt, bug him then :D

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Alpha 10 released 17/02/11
* Added hazard tape to the edges of each control point
* Increased walk time for attackers to reach the final points to give defense a better chance of setting up.
* Added an aditional side area in red's final round.
* Railings at red's final point are now non-solid to bullets.
* Fixed spawn doors not working properly on a sucessfull defense of a final round.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Probable environment direction, bashed out the new cliff texture yesterday:
tc_strata_env_1.jpg

Blu's final has been tweaked again since _a10. No new version to play yet though.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Texture looks fine, not a big fan of the skybox and sunset lighting though. I've really enjoyed the brightly lit alphas so far.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Gold Rush or Gravel Pit, I think

GPit because it makes the cliffs look a nice golden yellow, GRush for the color it makes the water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Badlands and GPit cast too many shadows.

Gold Rush stands out while still keeping the light level balanced. The colors stand out and makes a stronger impression than the plain-looking Lumberyard.

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
My vote's Gold Rush, my roomie says Gravel Pit. I don't like what the shadows are doing as much in the other two (and pipeline :D).

Dragonstorm24

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2009
It all depends on what time of day you want your map set it, Goldrush is dawn, Lumberyard is midday, Gravelpit is a summer afternoon, Badlands is a winter afternoon, and pipeline is dusk

personally I prefer Badlands for its depth of shadow