Slate

Slate b2

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
I belive he did say he was releasing new rocks.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Nothing custom in that screenshot. None of the custom content in this map is being released. with the exception of the swamp stuff which already has been.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks for that grazr. I dont know what gamemaster is sniffing but I've never said anything of the sort.

And @ Tinker The crashes are nothing to worry about, the person who uploaded it to the EU server did a bad job of checking filesizes once they're done, actual size is 50MB size on server is 14MB. Quite clearly the source of the problem. Reuploading as i type.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
That was me. It gave me the white page of death whilst I uploaded it. :\

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Ah, i thought a mod had uploaded it via FTP, which allows you to see the filesize after upload.

You are excused :p

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Alright, points of improvement after testing:

- Places can look very same-ish, as it's all.. grass and wooden houses. It doesn't help that a lot of the houses look very same-ish as well. The map itself looks great, but use something to differentiate between areas, come up with a story behind the caps, like a sawmill, or a store, or whatever. It'd help from identifying where you are, especially after teleports.

- The caps are teeny tiny. This means anyone can run in unblocked, which is sometimes frustrating for RED.

- It's rather easy to defend. We never got into the third stage, but that may be because it's first time round for a lot of people.

- Arrows, please. If the exitspawn for RED points the wrong way, put a sign outside so they can run the right way. I saw a lot of people (including me) running into the wooden barricades expecting for them to open wide or something :p

This all said, I had a lot of fun and you've got a very solid map on your hands.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Not satisfied with rain anymore, did a compile with the plain old alpine lighting.

slatecomparison.jpg

Which do you prefer??

I might go with a middle ground since i know how to make a skybox an all.

My main aim with this is to remove the rain that makes lag. because in soviet russia, lag makes rain!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Hah zpq, that would be nice, didnt he already give you the fullsize alpine one? I think I'd be fine just starting from there and adding extra stuff myself actually.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
If you desaturated the original Alpine skybox a bit and threw in a few gradient and adjustment layers, it'd look... enh, it'd look different.

Maybe try the Viaduct sky?

Maybe even pull a Yukon and use Granary + 3D Skybox Forest Skycards... hurm... that might look nice.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
If you're going to go with a more cheery, light outside (which I prefer, by the way), add more green grass textures instead of a lot of dirt, as it lights off the team colours better as well as make it look more vibrant and alive than brown.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
@eerie - clipped it yesterday evening before you posted it, if you watch my livestream ondemand you'll see :p

@Tinker I think I'll make a custom skybawks texture that is alpine but overcase and use that in connection with the darker ground textures.

need moar opinions on the lighting!!

img repost since its on the previous page already
slatecomparison.jpg

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Top theme wins hands down IMO, rainy alpine looks bleh after you've seen it a few times.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Sunny, please. I've always hated the Sawmill theme. It's new, yes, but its ugly as hell. Make yourself stand out by not using it.