Slate

Slate b2

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Engineers are a non-combat class. Vis-a-vis it's like telling the medic to kill people to use his medigun.

what? no its not. its like telling medics to shoot assailants with his blutsauger to regen health because he's getting shot at, which is uh.... what a medic damn well should be doing.

If you're an engineer, and you're NOT shooting people.... you're a pretty massive failgeneer.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Engineers should be getting kills with their shotgun, if you're cowering behind your sentry you're doing it wrong.

...but I agree that the map could use some extra metal for them near the final CPs in each section (maybe not section 1). It's got about the same as Dustbowl I suppose, but on Dustbowl stage 2 and 3 Red's spawn is also much closer to the CP.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Had a nasty bug on the final stage today. For some reason blue could enter back into stage 2 and was generally totally lost when the setup ended because they were all at 2-1 instead of 3-1.

Not some exploit or such, the door just wasn't locked!

Ten19

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2009
(posted this in the old thread, reposting here)

After a good amount of playing this during the 24/7 rotation period, I have to say it's one of my favorite A/D maps.

One thing I've noticed, though. In the third stage, BLU's spawn room is the same as RED's spawn room in stage two, (a nice implementation of existing resources!) In the second stage, you have a (currently) untextured brush blocking the door used in stage three, which makes sense. However, there isn't anything like this for BLU in stage three, which led to many people (including myself the first few times) unsuccessfully running up against the left door trying to get out. A similar blocking brush or prop signage would do the trick.

Fantastic work, good luck in the contest!

T

The Asylum

Played this today on Captainangry's server, and there's a few things I really disliked about it

- FLYING DEMOMAN AWAAAAAAAAY. Just by using doublepipes I was able to fly over the terrain and make a cap on almost every lag.
- Only one exit to blu's spawnrooms, and the forks provided are accessible to red. Spawncamp city.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Time for an update, here's the change log:

Beta 2 released 28/11/09:-
* Increased size of capture zone and blocking zone slightly.
* Removed rain, swapped to lighter skybox and environmental lighting.
* Increased level of detail.
* Improved playerclipping.
* Increased ammount of directional signs.
* No entry signs over locked doors.
* Added a visualiser to the cap area to show it is blocked.
* Added Announcer's alerts.
* Removed vphysics console spam.
* Slightly increased ammo placement.
* Improved visability rendering for stage 3.

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1304

juicyjames

L1: Registered
Nov 28, 2009
Hey, Youme, this was just posted on the site for a server that recently included ctf_slate_b2 in their rotation.

"When playing the new slate map we found a bug, the first control point wouldn't capture. No enemies there, had the intelligence, standing on top of the point, but no cap." (citation)

Edit: I'm not sure how reproducible the bug is, though, as I was able to capture the point just fine on a private server by myself.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Its not unique to _b2. It happens every now and then, but I've no idea what causes it since I cant reproduce it.

Finally added the newer pictures (click to enlarge):

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I preferred the old version as this one seems to lack atmosphere.

Sep 12, 2008
I tell you, that is not viaduct's lighting. Shadows are falling in the wrong direction, fog is not purple. Thar is something wrong!

Chibils

L1: Registered
Sep 19, 2009
I got a chance to play this earlier today.
Thoughts:

Point 1
- Sniping was awkward. The rough terrain inherent in an alpine map made this a very difficult map to snipe on, as one is very exposed on the elevated points.

Point 2
- I found it difficult to play as an engineer. There weren't any good spots to set up camp.

Point 3
- Spawn camping was an issue. There was no way to tell if there was a heavy spinning his gun outside the spawn point until you opened the door. No one even got to the intel before the round timed out.
- The house near spawn is great, but too easily defensible. By the second time around, that was as far as we got. A sentry on the "patio" at the top of the steps and a dispenser just inside the door sustained their offense for quite a while, with a medic inside and a heavy in the doorway augmenting them. If you were to take one out, a teleporter exit is pretty safe in that house.
- I may just be incompetent, but I found round three very difficult to navigate.
- In the cave tunnel, I got caught on three of the planks near the top on a fairly regular basis.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
These pictures are from b1, but they may still be useful.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1490725/ctf_slate_b10000.jpg
Fence sticks out of the wood bottom.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1490725/ctf_slate_b10100.jpg
The setup door on stage...2, I think... didn't open up on the bottom half. There were people there agianst the door, so I'm guessing they somehow got stuck, but thought I'd let you know.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1490725/ctf_slate_b10004.jpg
Oh, and I just thought I'd show an awesome thing that occurred. I jarate'd Jack and then killed him. Got a kill and an assist.

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1490725/ctf_slate_b10004.jpg
Oh, and I just thought I'd show an awesome thing that occurred. I jarate'd Jack and then killed him. Got a kill and an assist.

Im gonna need to save a photo of that, never seen it happen before.

Not sure if you quite fixed this in your new version, but the final spawn for defense can be very confusing, mostly in regards as to which door you need to exit. I found myself face-planting two or three of them before finally finding which one was the correct one.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I concur with Psy, this map just looks generic and samey now. Complete lack of atmosphere and nothing to distinguish it from the many other custom maps out there. It's not even like the map suffered from a lack of lighting in its last release.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
With the dull atmosphere compared to earlier releases, it's starting to live up to it's name. :c

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
With the dull atmosphere compared to earlier releases, it's starting to live up to it's name. :c

no no, the other map of mine is called stark, THATS the one that can live up to its name :p