Slammin' source tools V2 - hammer

Slammin' source tools V2 - hammer 01

Startacker!

WANT ME TO BE REAL? MAKE ME.
aa
Jun 15, 2013
Cordon boxes are for compiling certain sections of the map. That's not what I am looking for - I am looking to reduce what I see in my 2D view to a certain radius so I can actually see what I am scaling, etc. and not have brushes from many units away also be visible. The 2D view is slow also with my map, so having radius culling made it easier to edit and navigate during editing.
Cordon boxes can also be used to cull sections of your map you're not working on, they're not just for compiling. Visgroups can also be used.

Radius Culling was removed because it's an annoying "feature" of hammer that's toggled through a single key most users don't want to be enabled that leads to annoying leaks if not noticed. It was removed for this specific reason.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Cordon boxes are for compiling certain sections of the map. That's not what I am looking for - I am looking to reduce what I see in my 2D view to a certain radius so I can actually see what I am scaling, etc. and not have brushes from many units away also be visible. The 2D view is slow also with my map, so having radius culling made it easier to edit and navigate during editing.
Cordon does the same thing, hiding objects which are outside the cordon box when turned on. Plus you get the benefit of being able to more finely control what is and is not hidden by resizing the cordon box. Not only that, but you don't even need to remember to turn it off when doing compiles since, unlike radius culling, cordon automatically seals the map.

Trust me, cordon is a straight upgrade from radius culling.

Visgroups and quickhide can also be used for similar purposes.

mitgobla

L1: Registered
Dec 15, 2020
hiding objects which are outside the cordon box when turned on
Cordon boxes can also be used to cull sections of your map you're not working on

I'm enabling "Toggle Cordon State" after editing the box for it, and I can see the red box in the 2D views. However, nothing is hidden. The entire map in the 2D views beyond the cordon box are still visible. Image below.

hammer.png

Attachments

• hammer.png
    hammer.png
    891.1 KB · Views: 145

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
I'm enabling "Toggle Cordon State" after editing the box for it, and I can see the red box in the 2D views. However, nothing is hidden. The entire map in the 2D views beyond the cordon box are still visible. Image below.

hammer.png
That's strange, definitely not how that should behave.

Have you tried restarting Hammer?

mitgobla

Dec 15, 2020
Have you tried restarting Hammer?
So restarting Hammer didn't work, but a full PC restart did.
It seems that it doesn't work after a while of using it from all I have observed, so not sure why that happens.
Thanks for the help though, will try and lose my muscle memory for clicking radius culling and use cordon boxes instead :p

J==

Jan 6, 2021
I am having a problem, when I compile the map all Displacements are in fullbright.

166146-95a4685dfe3045bbfefcf717909759f4.jpg

but when I compile the same map on the standard hammer I don't have the same problem.
and yes I installed everything right, it’s the second map I make on slammin.

Attachments

• fullb.PNG
    fullb.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 127

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
I am having a problem, when I compile the map all Displacements are in fullbright.
Are you using the custom compilers as well? It's a known issue that they will, at times, compile displacements as fullbright

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Radius Culling was removed because it's an annoying "feature" of hammer that's toggled through a single key most users don't want to be enabled that leads to annoying leaks if not noticed. It was removed for this specific reason.
They should remove Carve too. I've finally come to the conclusion that there's literally no situation in which it will do what you need done. Just today I tried to use it for the one thing I expected it to still be capable of, using a single big brush to slice through a single smaller one at an odd angle like a 3D version of the Clipping Tool.

Instead, it hacked up brushes I hadn't even selected, and which in fact were in a visibility group that had been hidden. At least it had the courtesy to unhide them as well so I'd notice right away.

That thing is just straight-up broken code.

J==

Jan 6, 2021
Are you using the custom compilers as well? It's a known issue that they will, at times, compile displacements as fullbright

yes, i was using custom compilers. now i'm using the standard compilers in Slammin, and yet it's a wonderful tool

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Another thing I'd like to see fixed in the future: model browser making anything that has transparency completely black. I don't know when that started, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't always been the case.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Another thing I'd like to see fixed in the future: model browser making anything that has transparency completely black. I don't know when that started, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't always been the case.
I think that's fixed in hammer++ which has pretty much replaced this - it's got extensive improvements to many different aspects of hammer. If you'd like to try that out, you can download it from https://ficool2.github.io/HammerPlusPlus-Website/index.html

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Holy shit, that's a lot more improvements.

...Aaaaaaaaaaand it doesn't work. Comes up with the error "Game shader 'game_shader_dx9.dll' trying to override a base shader 'WorldVertexTransition'" and then quits. And of course this guy doesn't bother to use GitHub's built-in bug report system, so I guess I have to try to friend him on Steam and bug him about it directly.

ficool2

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, that's a lot more improvements.

...Aaaaaaaaaaand it doesn't work. Comes up with the error "Game shader 'game_shader_dx9.dll' trying to override a base shader 'WorldVertexTransition'" and then quits. And of course this guy doesn't bother to use GitHub's built-in bug report system, so I guess I have to try to friend him on Steam and bug him about it directly.

Delete the DLL (it's a leftover from Slammin Hammer so you won't lose anything), that's the fix

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Damn this is some cool stuff. I can tell when a light model is using its on or off skin now! And see overlays properly without having to turn off shading! And the top half of the water cooler doesn't disappear when it's in front of a wall! AND LIGHTBULB SPRITES DON'T SHOW THROUGH WALLS ANYMORE! I could get addicted to this.

Still getting rendering issues on some props in the browser, though. Most alphatested ones work fine now, but there's some Frontline ones, for example, that are just the gray color of the background (and change to the color of the selected-model border when selected). I can't figure out what the connection is. Also, I can't adjust the 3D camera using the arrow keys anymore. The keybind editor says they're bound to "strafe up/down/left/right" but they don't do that either.