SD sherman_hill

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Dommler, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Dommler

Dommler L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Based on my 4 Point cp_ Map (were called cp_silo_xx and cp_blowpipe_xx).
    This project is my first proper map, even through i tried some stuff in cs 1.6 and nt°.

The original idea was, that you could fight in an silo like tower, and the project started with no proper plan about the gameplay. Therefore, i had to change a lot during the initial work, while repairing major flaws. Also, i didn't make a concept map at all.
    I could only test this map in small groups of people, so i hope for proper feedback from experienced members of this community.

The idea and the concept of this map is pretty unique (at least i think so). It is set in an major industrial like tower, which is located in an canyon.

The map is far from finished, but it should be playable. You can see some major flaws, like the abnormal rocket animation, but this does not interfere with the game.

I really hope for some criticism and proper feedback.

cp_sherman_hill can be downloaded here: (Abandoned)
    http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=5474

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. DonutVikingChap

DonutVikingChap L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I hope it plays as good as it looks :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    From the screenshots it looks kinda hard to tell what's detail and what isn't in terms of platforms and things. Though, I do like when people mess with hybrid game modes, so I'm looking forward to playing this!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    One thing I would advise against is using those Well pipes. They were designed to have the player inside them, and as such have ridiculously short LOD distances. (You can see how one of them has transformed into an octagon in that third screenshot). There's probably enough demand for high-quality giant pipes that you could request some in our request forum and get a response.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    First two gut-reactions:

1) Vertical scaling looks off
    2) I want to play this

I get #1 a lot, but #2 not so often. Seriously, this looks damn cool.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Dommler

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the replies, feedback and play test. Unfortunate, it could take some time, till i have the resources to implement the advised changes, because i am abroad at the moment.

To the large spawn area, it sure is no excuse, but i was lazy and kept the last control point from the cp_ version. I definitely plan to change the whole area in the future.

:)

8. andyvich

andyvich L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've had a quick look through this one. Think it shows real promise and you should definitely keep it up.

Two little problems though.

- You can stickyjump from your bottom spawn door to your middle one. Combining this with the walkways, you can pick up the flag and get it to the rocket without having to go into the opponent's half of the map. I recorded a demo of me doing this, so you can see what I mean.

- It can be a bit confusing telling which side of the map you're on at first glance, because everything is brown. I think having the walls in different colours would help when you're running upstairs with the flag and you're not sure if that's your spawn or their spawn.

Apart from those two, it's great and I'm really looking forward to future versions :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Dommler

Positive Ratings:
    Updated to sd_sherman_hill_a02 and cp_sherman_hill_a01.

Changes in Changelog.

[​IMG]

10. Dommler

Positive Ratings:
    After some playtest (thanks for all the feedback and demos) here the update to sd_sherman_hill_b05.

Changes can be seen in changelog.