Rust

PL Rust final1

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
spy route should be across the adjacent roof. :3

Changes look solid, I look forward to playing, it's been way too long.

Going across the roof was a possibility, but there is a wall (which is hard to see) between the balcony and the roof. If I remove the wall there, the spot becomes very vulnerable to snipers, and defeats the purpose of the balcony.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
You can't just make a hole in it?

I kinda can't tell what's wrong with this map. I feel like I've been playing the same version since April. I guess the new B and tweaked d are improvements, but not fundamental changes. Some stuff still feels bad- a place without a step, a narrow, dull flank or two, only two routes from red at D, spawncamping... But several of these have been around for, literally, months, and I've reported a few of them every time I've played. But nothing's changing, so why bother?

If you're interested, I'll do a big feedback run-through, but I feel like doing it under my own initiative would be a waste of time.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
You can't just make a hole in it?

I kinda can't tell what's wrong with this map. I feel like I've been playing the same version since April. I guess the new B and tweaked d are improvements, but not fundamental changes. Some stuff still feels bad- a place without a step, a narrow, dull flank or two, only two routes from red at D, spawncamping... But several of these have been around for, literally, months, and I've reported a few of them every time I've played. But nothing's changing, so why bother?

If you're interested, I'll do a big feedback run-through, but I feel like doing it under my own initiative would be a waste of time.

A hole is possible, but then it opens up that whole area for snipers/other sentries to climb out onto, which might be bad.

I've looked at the instances of spawncamping, and those are a result of team stacking/imbalance. I did address the spawn camping a few versions ago with red's forward, but then moved the spawn, and haven't seen any other issues with it. I may change that when I work on final's right flank this weekend.

Honestly why there hasn't been any drastic changes is because I feel that what I have now is fine, and that there are just a lot of different little layout tweeks I need. I tried a drastic change with the cave, but no one liked it. I didn't even like it after I saw it played, thus why I removed it (everyone favored the original, so I built up around that).

You can do a feedback dump if you want, but I've already been reviewing all the demo's 1-2 times each, looking at each of the feedback points, and then deciding what to do based on that. Again, to be honest, a lot of feedback I'm getting now is emotionally driven, rather than logic. People have gotten sick of playing the map, and that is starting to show in quality and expressiveness of the feedback. I do listen to your feedback, but when all I'm seeing is "Wow, this is final is really fucking hard, fix it" That doesn't help me that much, just shows me that you're angry at the final. Yes, there has been some good feedback, and I've seen/listened to it and thought about, but I just need to make changes based on this feedback, and what I think is good for the map, whilst still keeping with the "vision" I have for gameplay/the map.

Do I think the start area is fine? Yes.
Do I think final is fine, but could use a little bit of work? Yes.
Do I think the _a14 version is close to how final will be? Somewhat, yea.
Do I think that just because I came in 7th in the contest, I have to completely redo area's and make drastic changes? Hell No.

I'll probably be releasing 1 more version of this map and then just go to another community for testing if needed. (i'll still update here, and everyone is welcome to play it, I just won't be the one pushing for its tests here). Like I said, everyone here just hates to play the map because they see it a lot, and because of that the feedback quality has decreased. I'm sorry that I've been having it tested a lot, I have a deadline set for myself and I intend to keep it.

/end rant.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Double post for a quick visual update. (subject to change over the next day or 2)

added this roof/cover here so that the random walls make sense.
pl_rust_a150000.jpg

Added a marker here, to signify that at this point, the shortcut doors will open up. It is visually connected with a wire/conduit/dohickey
pl_rust_a150001.jpg

pl_rust_a150002.jpg

And, widened up this area, and added a nice little platform, which, coincidentally, doubles as a not-so-bad sentry spot.
pl_rust_a150003.jpg

Again, this is just prelim stuff, if you want to give your feedback that'll help me out a ton (and make it one less version I need to make!).

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
So, had this tested earlier, and it works pretty well.

Here is _a15 of rust. Going to let this sit around a couple days, but I'm pretty sure we're getting close to the end of the layout phase.

Changes: Widened up the right flank (facing red) on final
Added a small room outside CP2's entrance
Adjusted a couple spawn area's.
Clipped
Adjusted when the dynamic doors opened up
Added a spy route up to the top balcony overlooking the final point via red spawn

Anyfeedback, toss it here.

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
Played a15 last night in the gamesday.
I gotta say, well...dont take this personally, but for me the map had no 'spark,' there wasnt much that made me want to keep playing it. playing through on both teams felt dull and stale, but i cant properly explain what gave me that feeling. i'll give it a few more goes later, see if i can pinpoint that.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
725933E610F41428D346F3DC04DD1FDABF149E82

In case you haven't already been shown where people can sticky jump to.

PC's_Frank

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 29, 2012
Ah, hell. This map looks awesome, but I also had an idea for a RED laser beam that destroys the BLU base if RED wins.....

sigh...

well, at least both teams will get a satisfying explosion if either of them win.....

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Okay. This is going into a secret lair in a hidden dimension for a little while.

It's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Aly's been digging around the .vmf and doing a wizzbang job at detailing. I've finally gotten some time to do a little bit of sealing on the map and a tiny bit of optimization so that I can get in for some fast compile screenshots to show off what will be coming hopefully in the next month! huzzah eye candy!

pl_rust_b40000.jpg

pl_rust_b40001.jpg

pl_rust_b40002.jpg

pl_rust_b40003.jpg

pl_rust_b40004.jpg

pl_rust_b40005.jpg

pl_rust_b40006.jpg

pl_rust_b40007.jpg

pl_rust_b40008.jpg

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
You're doing that thing again where the lighted sign magically casts light back onto itself because it's using a light entity instead of a light_spot.