"resupply lockers"

FOREVER

L1: Registered
Feb 14, 2011
I put the lockers in the back because Mangy was complaining about engineers ):

Seriously though, I didn't think those 2 seconds of extra walking were much of an issue. I didn't want players having health so close to the spawn exit, since they overlooked a significant position. Spawncamping wasn't much of an issue, since the CP capped so fast. If it came to spawncamping the team probably didn't have much of a chance regardless.

An alternative spawn exit design might have worked, but I also didn't want players to take too many turns on their way out, and the distance from spawn -> CP was already getting pretty lengthy.

It was an efficient solution. I'm sorry :(

No worries! I'm a big fan of coldfront, it's one of the few maps I'll actually play, and this supply locker thing is more of a theoretical point for me anyway. If there was no other way, there was no other way. While we'
re on the subject...all those I-Beams in the ceilings of the final points of coldfront make it mighty hard to rocket jump quickly out of spawn... :)

FOREVER

L1: Registered
Feb 14, 2011
huh. I remember colliding with them all the time, but I just tested it and the smaller radial ones are just as you say. The larger beams over the point have collision, but hardly any of my RJ's got anywhere near colliding with them. Either my rj technique has gotten better of late or I have a brain worm.

But good on you for making the various lights and other low-hanging entities non-collision. Plenty of other maps are stuffed with ceiling dingdongs that make rocketjumping a chore.

Mar 23, 2010

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
When I say "adjust" I mean a 90 degree rotation of the spawn. Not hard! No need for extra cover, but the sightline from spawn to point is properly broken, thereby blocking spam.

I'm sort of surprised nobody's mentioned how making the resupply cabinets more arduous to reach makes engies build dispensers more.

Look, my point of view is that the player should be forced to spend as little time as possible in spawn, because that isn't fun and it's easily avoided with good spawn design. You guys are committed to the view that some situations REQUIRE a spawn that's internally inconvenient. I contest that you can always adjust the entire spawn to accommodate these worries. That valve hasn't done so is no argument against me.

So you're talking about simply replacing what would otherwise be a long walk in the (boring) spawn room to get to the locker, for a long walk in the (dangerous) play area to a re-orientated spawn with an advanced locker. I fail to see how this changes anything other than increasing the chances of getting killed since the spawn room does provide some protection and technically the locker isn't any closer than it was before.

You're thinking an aweful lot about a really small amount of time that most people manage to overlook. Nobody actually hangs out in the spawn unless they're being camped or avoiding capture crits and what you're talking about is 1, maybe 2 seconds of game time. Moving the locker closer will only cause people who would have died outside, 3-4 seconds away from the locker, now die 1-2 seconds away, which is not even solving your complaint. People will always die seconds away from safety, it's just how the game plays out sometimes. Whilst your solution creates issues such as spam, exploitation and griefing as opposed to the minor annoyance of afterburn or because a teammate opened the spawn door and a rocket flew in and killed you by chance. These things happen, but they only happen rarely. In all honestly if you're frequenting the locker as anything other than an engineer or a BLU player on A/D you're doing something really wrong as a player.

You just sound like a butt hurt player whom random chance did not favour for a period of time and you're trying to take out your bad luck on the game design. You've come to a game design forum to discuss game design with novice game designers and despite the fact that you've been unanimously argued against you still seem intent on continueing to push your point. Exactly what is it you're trying to achieve?

If you think you can improve spawn room mechanics then go make a map and find out whether you were correct or not. Because all the theory, as you have just witnessed, doesn't support your arguement.

Last edited:

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
revolutionary.png