Resource icon

PL Rapid Robotics a2

Dupiter

L1: Registered
Jun 28, 2019
Dupiter submitted a new resource:

Rapid Robotics - A custom payload map where you can stun the payload with damage

Jungle assets made by Sean "heyo" Cutino.

This is a custom payload map I've been working on and off with since the release of Vscript.
The main "gimmick" of this map is that the payload cart has a health bar. RED team can shoot the payload, which stuns the cart from moving for a small amount of time.

Known bugs:
  • The cart cannot be headshot by...

Read more about this resource...

Demoman please

Apr 5, 2023
Hello!

Tested your map a little.

The robot payload cart has a couple of bugs:
  • You can't hit it with the melee weapon when it's on the slope (only with demoman's swords)
  • You can get stuck behind it on the slope

Dupiter

Jun 28, 2019
Hello!

Tested your map a little.

The robot payload cart has a couple of bugs:
  • You can't hit it with the melee weapon when it's on the slope (only with demoman's swords)
  • You can get stuck behind it on the slope
I see, from what I can tell, it looks like the base_boss entity isn't rotating with the slope of the hills, which is weird because I'm fairly certain that it used to. I'm pretty sure that's what would be causing those bugs, so I'll quickly look into it. Thanks for testing the map out!

Dupiter

Jun 28, 2019
Dupiter updated Rapid Robotics with a new update entry:

Improving the Payload Cart

The map layout has practically not changed, this update focuses on some stuff under-the-hood.
  • The cart no longer uses a prop_dynamic on top of the base_boss entity in order to allow animations (Thanks so much TF2Maps Discord members!)
    • The medigun no longer needs it's own model with it's own animations, the stock Valve w_medigun.mdl model is now used.
  • The cart no longer rotates with the slope of the hill. This fixes a bug where the Bounding Box would misaligned...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I watched some gameplay of this map, and I like the premise as a small twist on payload, but I think it could be improved. Right now red team spends a lot of time idly shooting the robot to temporarily stun it, but this stun doesn't actually do anything since blue isn't currently pushing.

In addition, it seems like there is the possibility of the current health system allowing red to stun the robot in the middle of a push, which could be really annoying and difficult for blue to anticipate. For example, if blue wants to make a push but the bot is low on health, it would be in their best interest to let red fully damage the robot, wait out the stun, and then push. Not intuitive or fun imo.

I would consider altering the mechanics somehow so that damaging the robot halt's blue progress in a way that better fits into the push / hold rhythm that payload maps have. The best idea I can think of is to have the robot only roll back when fully damaged, and to have it passively refill health over time, and also refill health more quickly when being pushed. This would allow the mode to more or less function like regular payload, except that red has a constant task to perform to make the cart roll back, and blue can't just tap the cart to completely stall a rollback.