Posssible Soldier Update Leak

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
ya multiple hills would be really fun if you look at it that way, It could easily be, capture as many points in the 10mins. And once a point is captured it resets and a new hill appears.

Yea and then you could have them capture one at a time and the last one wins the roun.. oh wait, that's cp.

Essentially CP is an evolved KOTH. But there are 5 individual points set up in a linear fashion. Each point is usually a hill or bridge of sorts. So just make a single CP that doesn't win the round on capture, and tell it to add points to the scoreboard every 10 seconds or something.

There's no need to glorify the same principle just with a new prefix. No one really knows how many cp's will be in a cp map anyway, nor what style of setup they will have (unless they have played it before). Gravelpit, steel, badlands are all cp but play fundimentally differently. Control Point, KOTH.

It's a lot of fuss over what fundimentally seems like just a prefix.

edit: I would hope people don't end up converting arena to koth. It's such a basic map that i would think that people would be able to make the effert to produce something original on this scale. I agree that take and hold with respawn would employ different tactics to 1 life, DM. The CP in Arena is only a resort to someone hiding in a corner (A la CS), it wasn't a design choice that was to be the focus of a map. It just happens to be in the middle to be fair.

Last edited:

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Yes, you dont need a new prefix like koth, people can just make one cp maps and either have it red defend blu attack with on point, or one point to capture with long cap, or 2 teams with timers holding that point. No need for a game mode, it has been done before all in cp without a new gamemode.

Warchamp7

L2: Junior Member
Apr 4, 2009
http://kotaku.com/5287719/how-valve-...-fortress-vids

I posted that like 3 pages ago, I don't get why people fail at reading.:facepalm

And, even BEFORE you say it, no, valve didn't say in big bold letters they leaked it on purpose. It's a thing called "reading between the lines."

It's pretty much been determined they edited the video afterwards. People did comparison shots of the leaked video and the official one.

kthnxplztryagain

Mexican Apple Thief

L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER
Aug 23, 2008
Yes, you dont need a new prefix like koth, people can just make one cp maps and either have it red defend blu attack with on point, or one point to capture with long cap, or 2 teams with timers holding that point. No need for a game mode, it has been done before all in cp without a new gamemode.

How much of a change is required before we consider it a new game mode?

It seems like we usually just say "because Valve said so".

MotorBreath

L1: Registered
Jul 23, 2009
good point

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Valve's not doing KOTH, they released Arena. Plain and simple.

1245876641703.png

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
That quote is lies. I never said such a blatantly untruthful thing.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
And, even BEFORE you say it, no, valve didn't say in big bold letters they leaked it on purpose. It's a thing called "reading between the lines."

:facepalm Doesn't work, because the "leaked video" box is not present in the true leaked video itself. Valve simply changed it in the official release as a joke.

HvC_Terr said:
In fact, I can prove you're wrong. One moment.

Edit:
Here's an animated-GIF comparison. As you can see, it looked more like a two-word phrase, but the first word was shorter than the second word.

Now the word spacing (whatever they actually say) is different.

The leak was accidental. Look at Valve's own Achievement on today's Spy page.