Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
Heh, the map just got some story :)

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
That's looking very nice!

Maybe backlight the 'Manual Override' sign to highlight it for players.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I finally decided to make my contest entry version of Panamint Springs, so.. here it is!

Download ctf_panamint_a17 now!

- Textured almost whole map
- Added custom intel by Rexy
- Optimized the map (with thanks to Rexy for help with areaportals!)
- Added new building to stage 2 to prevent demo-jump-capturing 2-2

ctf_panamint_c0000.jpg

ctf_panamint_c0002.jpg

ctf_panamint_c0003.jpg

ctf_panamint_c0005.jpg

ctf_panamint_c0006.jpg

Download ctf_panamint_a17 now!

Last edited:

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
Hawt

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Yay, this version (a17) should be fine now. :)

Download download!

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
So what you think about the contest entry version? :p

(And that is _a17, don't turn up _c on the server, because that version is bugged.)

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Right, it looks like everybody hates the badlands rock and the 2-2 points.

I will try to find a solution, but does anybody has any other constructive feedback or ideas for that point?

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
A tall cliff with flights of wooden staircases running around it?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
panamint5a.jpg

First off you need to reduce the amount of rooms and doors in your buildings. Blade suffered from the same issues with deadwood. So you're not the only one to fall into this trap. But i have already told you this from a7 regarding the first stage. Remove that door with the X on it. It reduces the effect of grenade and rocket spam from Red's vatange high ground. Allowing Blu to rally.

panamint1.jpg

This focuses player direction, either left and up, right and down. Remove the stairs on the outside, and from the inside of the building behind. This way the CP becomes a stronghold point and a memorable part of your map.

panamint3.jpg

Be sure to emphasise the "raise" in the rocky bridge structure. You don't want to give Blu too much of an advantage to attack from so the rise in the bridge gives the blu something to aim for. Since when crossing the bridge Blu are bottle necked the "rise" gives some balance to this route, rewarding Blu for pushing forwards. But also rewarding Red for counter attacking beyond the CP area.

Such a structure within the map should be a focal point in your map as it is unique and interesting.

panamint2.jpg

Showing this area from another angle. It's important to give Blu some cover from direct fire. Snipers should only be able to kill assaulting enemies, but additionally applies to other classes as well. The grenade arch is a part of the weapon that is to be exploited in a scenario like this, shooting from the low to high ground.

panamint4.jpg

apologies if this seems out of scale. I ended up possibly putting too much information into this paint over image.

The water adds extra dynamism to the area. Fleeing defenders are stranded in a nomans land area if seeking the water for an extinguish.

The important part of this image is the background buildings. I've purposefully left the CP area bland as attempts to add cover and what have you can be implemented at your discretion.

The far right building could ultimately be controlled by either teams demo's/solly's which should make for some interesting gameplay, although with 2 direct routes and and indirect route from the left building (from Blu's perspective) this building may seem redundant/insignificant and nullified (become none playable area) at a later date if testing proves this to be true. I had considered it being open to all classes but 3 direct routes for a Stage 2 CP 2 seemed excessive.

In the grand scheme of the routes i am still concerned about the Blu having direct access to the high ground on the left. I was thinking perhaps of a sepetate ledge, something like.. *placeholder*

I seem to be missing another image.... i'll take a look.

Last edited:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I still think 2-2 is a very fun point, and I don't think the point's location (up high) needs to be changed. The rest of the suggestion of grazr look like good ideas though.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Thanks a lot, grazr. I will try use what you suggested and see if that solves the problem. Only, 1 old problem is back I think if I use your idea: people can and will demojump from cp1 to cp 2 again I guess. :/

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
pan1.jpg

Then try this. You building was too limiting to player movement and provided too many exits/entrances that disorientate people. Particularly when people can't see or anticipate where a corridor will lead them.

pan2.jpg

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's getting complicated now D:

Technically, it's getting simpler. The main issue with panamint is that routes are too complicated, disorientate player movement and split the team up too much.

Hanz: - stage 1 is too hard in overall

You have Blu fighting up 2 height levels just to get to the first CP. Lower the CP, and this will decrease difficulty.

pana3.jpg

Hanz: - people run often past 1-1 when it's still uncapped as blu

Due to the fact the CP is inside the building and thus not directly visible, you need more obvious signage. The main route can also be designed so that it influences players towards the CP rather than straight up the middle to the next area.

How ever, given the above modification, a direct line of sight of the CP from the main route should be apparent.

pana2.jpg

The cave to the left should be modified so it only provides access to the roof of the building. Right now it comes out on 2 "floors". The cave itself isn't entirely necassery and its lower floor can be removed altogether.

pana1.jpg

Additional comments:

Remove this spawn exit as it is possible to pop an invuln from within spawn and reach the "new" CP location. You will still need a spawn exit that exits from relative safety however, so move it to here.

pana4.jpg

Hanz: - and maybe the cave at stage 1 needs some altering

See above. (third image)

Hanz: - stage 3 is too easy, mostly the last point, that one has too many routes and lacks epicness (that's the opinion of the most players)

Mostly you answered this yourself. Additionally:

Approximate area of play sizes in Hammer units.
Dustbowl area sizes:
Stage1 Area1: 2432 long 1344 wide
Stage1 Area2: 1920 long 1344 wide
Stage2 Area1: 2368 long 1488 wide
Stage2 Area2: 1984 long 1536 wide
Stage3 Area1: 1792 long 1024 wide
Stage3 Area2 consists of 2 winding corridors 1408 long and 1472 long
Stage3 Finale: 1536 long 1664 wide

Goldrush area sizes:
Stage1 Area1: 2432 long 1408 wide
Stage1 Area2: 1408 long 1792 wide
Stage2 Area1: 2688 long 1664 wide
Stage2 Area2: 2176 long 1664 wide
Stage3 Area1: 2304 long 1280 wide
Stage3 Area2 consists of 2 winding corridors 2304 long and 2176 long
Stage3 Finale: 1280 long 1792 wide

You want to build up to the finale and you have not produced that effect. This might be achieved by 3 capture areas rather than 2. The finale should be more open as well.

But we can deal with Stage 3 later.

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
So if this map keeps going in a good direction, you'll see some major model improvements, and animations! Go go team!