My map suddenly turned black

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Bunbun, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Bunbun

aa Bunbun Gay sex slave

Positive Ratings:
    I have no idea how this happened, it was looking fine until I fixed a few leaks.
    [​IMG]

2. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    Entity enveloped in a Brush.

3. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Some people got lighting errors when the coordinates 0 0 0 aren't inside the map. So if Lain's comment didn't bring any solution, try moving the map so 0 0 0 is inside the map.

4. JMaxchill

JMaxchill L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    From what I understand, having 0 0 0 inside geometry also gives errors :/

5. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe there is some huge brush in the 3d skybox that casts a shadow over the map? I recall that this was once the issue here

6. Davekillerish

aa Davekillerish Lvl O: Orange Member

Positive Ratings:
    did tf2 get an update while hammer was open? Did you validate the game cache to see if it was a game problem not a map issue?

7. JMaxchill

JMaxchill L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think the problem I had was that the skycam was within the map/under a displacement, although it's definitely a possibility

8. Oatmeal

Oatmeal L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Where's the compile log at. Also upload the vmf.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Another Bad Pun

Server Staff Another Bad Pun bap

Positive Ratings:
    There's a chance that while your map looked alright while leaked, now that it's plugged the lighting is totally off. Or it could be some other source bug, I can't really tell from the screenshot.

10. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    This bug seems to be caused by a few things - some previously mentioned above - another way I found it happened (to me) was that there was a corrupt brush in the map that I needed to binary search for using fast vvis/vrad cordon compiles. Useful information would be: your compile log, and possibly an upload of your .vmf

• Like Like x 1
  11. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    With the corrupt brush error all the light colors in the VRAD compile turned to (1, 1, 1) so at this point I don't suspect that is this problem (which is good). Can you upload your .vmf file somewhere?

12. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    May I ask how you got this Veteran badge? (I really don't know how you get one) Looking at your compile log I expected two greenhorn mistakes:

-You used power 4 displacements
    -You turned all faces of a brush into a displacement
    And I was right

[​IMG] the horror

First: Don't use power 4 displcements. The compilelog even tells you that!
    Second: All faces which serve no purpose shouldn't be displacements. Select all useless displacements>shift+A>displacements>destroy
    Now all the pointless displacements are gone

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  13. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    As long as they're not super high-density there's nothing really wrong with using power 4 displacements, but for TF2 mapping you should typically stick to a power of 2 or 3.

14. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    I took a look at your 3d skybox and those displacements are done correctly. But I think here is what causes your lighting issue.

Your 3d skybox:

[​IMG]

What might fix it:

[​IMG]

Like I mentioned before: the brushes and props in the 3d skybox can cast shadows over your actual map. Since your 3d skybox "illusion" isn't only around your map but rather..."through" your map, the displacements in the middle is pretty much right above your actual map or somewhere at ground level. I hope this explaination makes sense but I can't think of something better this late... anyway, this displacement in the middle entually casts a shadow on your entire map.

I recommend you to compile your map without 3d skybox. If the shadow is gone, we know what causes it. And if this test turns out to be posetive, rebuild your 3d skybox.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016